firsttimer

TRX250 Recon

First off let me start by saying I am a complete noob to this area of my life, I have been given a TRX250 Recon that was running at the time by being able to pull start, however, I want to fix the push button on here and that is what brings me to this forum, I turn the key, and the Neutral light comes on, I press the switch and it dims which tells me there is power there, next, in the line of troubleshooting, I try and jump the solenoid and I get nothing, not even a minor spark, I even banged on the starter slightly o see if I could knock anything loose a bit but I got nothing, I pulled the spark plug and looked at it and replaced it with an e3 spark plug but the boot doesn't act like it wants to fit, so I've already made my first mistake, so my first question is, Do you have to have a new boot to run an e3 plug or should i just go buy another ngk one? second, should I replace the solenoid first? or just go ahead and do the starter? Sorry if this post is all over the place I just really don't know where to start. Thank you in advance. also, thanks for the invite Shadetree!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, firsttimer said:

First off let me start by saying I am a complete noob to this area of my life, I have been given a TRX250 Recon that was running at the time by being able to pull start, however, I want to fix the push button on here and that is what brings me to this forum, I turn the key, and the Neutral light comes on, I press the switch and it dims which tells me there is power there, next, in the line of troubleshooting, I try and jump the solenoid and I get nothing, not even a minor spark, I even banged on the starter slightly o see if I could knock anything loose a bit but I got nothing, I pulled the spark plug and looked at it and replaced it with an e3 spark plug but the boot doesn't act like it wants to fit, so I've already made my first mistake, so my first question is, Do you have to have a new boot to run an e3 plug or should i just go buy another ngk one? second, should I replace the solenoid first? or just go ahead and do the starter? Sorry if this post is all over the place I just really don't know where to start. Thank you in advance. also, thanks for the invite Shadetree!!!!!!!!!

your welcome. your first task is to find out if your starter is even any good ?. from what your posted ^^^ ?, it sounds like your starter is bad ?. with the way you tried to tap on it, it sounds to me , its time for a new starter or at the very least, maybe a new set of starter brushes ?. if it were me, i would go to D&B electrical online, and see if they have a starter for your year/make/model ?, i high recommend these ppl for thier starters !. but before you go tossing money at a starter, will it even crank by using the pull rope ?. 

It fires but it backfires occasionally, the boot won't go on that new e3 plug I bought so i may have jumped the gun, I didn't think it would make a difference but the top of that plug vs the ngk is a bit bigger and the boot will not do anything but sit on top of it where the old plug it snapped down on, but yes it will crank if i spray some starter fluid in the carb. It seems really cold natured though because I have to throttle it to warm it up. I see there is a fuse behind the solenoid, I must have missed it, will the solenoid not spark if the fuse is blown?

Edited by firsttimer
additional info

2 minutes ago, firsttimer said:

It fires but it backfires occasionally, the boot won't go on that new e3 plug I bought so i may have jumped the gun, I didn't think it would make a difference but the top of that plug vs the ngk is a bit bigger and the boot will not do anything but sit on top of it where the old plug it snapped down on, but yes it will crank if i spray some starter fluid in the carb. It seems really cold natured though because I have to throttle it to warm it up.

ok..great..we'll get you fixed up then !. first, get the correct spark plug, ngk is best. then, purchase a shindy carb rebuild kit, check out d&b electrical for a new starter, perhaps look into a new battery if yours is too far gone ?. while your waiting on all this, pull the fuel tank, dump out all that old gas, inspect your fuel line. plan on an oil change, wet clutch approved atv/motorcyle oil !. inspect the air filter, i use oem from honda, i do not like uni at all. new oil filter ( i believe that model still uses an oil filter ? )...MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT INSTALL THE OIL FILTER IN BACKWARDS !!!!!.

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have included absolutely everything I did beforehand, I have new gas in there already and I have checked the fuel line and it's well in tact with no blockages, I will grab one of those rebuild kits, I've never rebuilt one before but I am confident in my ability to do it as long as I take my time. i found the starter for 37 bucks, and yes an oil change is definitely on my list because I don't know when the last time this stuff was changed. and yeah, Thank you for your help!! I will report back as I have time to do the repairs, more than likely on weekends.

2 minutes ago, firsttimer said:

Sorry, I should have included absolutely everything I did beforehand, I have new gas in there already and I have checked the fuel line and it's well in tact with no blockages, I will grab one of those rebuild kits, I've never rebuilt one before but I am confident in my ability to do it as long as I take my time. i found the starter for 37 bucks, and yes an oil change is definitely on my list because I don't know when the last time this stuff was changed. and yeah, Thank you for your help!! I will report back as I have time to do the repairs, more than likely on weekends.

37 bucks for a starter from D&B ?, pleaseeeeeeeee do not buy any starter from ebay or amazon !..lol. china junk !. shindy carb kit, unless you want to pay a ton of cash for oem ?, shindy is top notch. as far as my help ?, hey..this is how we are here !, you get stumped ?..ask away !.

A starter motor ain't gonna help ya since you haven't got the solenoid working yet. Your battery may be junk, so check and/or replace the battery first. FYI, DB Electrical starters are all china junk now too. They don't sell good parts anymore. I'd buy used OEM parts before buying anything from china, we've learned those lessons years ago.

Let us know how your battery checks out.

P_20200217_180328.jpgh

P_20200217_180321.jpg

P_20200217_180312.jpg

P_20200217_180255.jpg

Here are some pics of my project recon...can't wait to dig into it

Edited by firsttimer
text

That solenoid doesnt look like its honda

Edited by TBRider
  • Thanks 1

Well, that might be why it doesn't work lol😄 that's why I couldn't wait to post the pics, I knew you guys would notice things.

4 hours ago, retro said:

A starter motor ain't gonna help ya since you haven't got the solenoid working yet. Your battery may be junk, so check and/or replace the battery first. FYI, DB Electrical starters are all china junk now too. They don't sell good parts anymore. I'd buy used OEM parts before buying anything from china, we've learned those lessons years ago.

Let us know how your battery checks out.

they musta just changed lately ?, i've had great luck with them in the past. his problem might be, as we are learning, honda is now discontinuing so many oem parts !..lol.

28 minutes ago, TBRider said:

That solenoid doesnt look like its honda

looks right too me ?, but hey, ya never know with all these china parts out here today !..lol.

I would almost bet when you try to remove that battery bolt on the negative cable , it is going to be frozen up from corrosion and break the terminal off the top of the  battery --- that battery  looks like it is ready to change out , the corrosion makes me think the battery was leaking 

I'm going to definitely replace it, they aren't expensive so I really don't mind it, I'm prepared to put some money in it to get it back to it's prime, any idea I can find out what year it is?

4 minutes ago, firsttimer said:

I'm going to definitely replace it, they aren't expensive so I really don't mind it, I'm prepared to put some money in it to get it back to it's prime, any idea I can find out what year it is?

behind front bumper, a metal plate welded across frame tube, sits back a bit, its flat, has 17 digits stamped across it, read from left to right, look for the 10th digit, then look it up on this chart.

IMG_0882.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

they musta just changed lately ?, i've had great luck with them in the past. his problem might be, as we are learning, honda is now discontinuing so many oem parts !..lol.

Yep, they used to sell reman'd OEM starters and they bragged about them on every page on their web site. Now all of the reman starters are gone and all they have for sale for Hondas are cheap china junk, same garbage as sold on eBay and Amazon. And gets this... now they claim that reman'd starters are junk and their china garbage is better. Just a year ago their entire business was reliant on their own in-shop reman work. They're just another scamming lying corp now, obviously.

I have a DB electric china starter that I took off from a 450 in one of my scrap parts buckets here. I'll take it back apart and show y'all just how bad their china starters are now if ya'd like to see for yourself? Fair warning its laughable.... :-)

2 hours ago, retro said:

Yep, they used to sell reman'd OEM starters and they bragged about them on every page on their web site. Now all of the reman starters are gone and all they have for sale for Hondas are cheap china junk, same garbage as sold on eBay and Amazon. And gets this... now they claim that reman'd starters are junk and their china garbage is better. Just a year ago their entire business was reliant on their own in-shop reman work. They're just another scamming lying corp now, obviously.

I have a DB electric china starter that I took off from a 450 in one of my scrap parts buckets here. I'll take it back apart and show y'all just how bad their china starters are now if ya'd like to see for yourself? Fair warning its laughable.... 🙂

i dont doubt it bro. but i did buy my last starter for this trx300fw from them, it seems to be good ..for now ?!..lol.

If I were you I would take that starter apart before ya put it on your bike. You'll need to put some grease in the nose bearing and rear bushing if you use it, cause both ends are probably bone dry as usual. The one that I have here was not only bone dry, but it had been jammed together with one too many washers shimming up the armature end play which caused the thrust bushing in the nose to be squashed into a bowl shape. The armature would not turn when I took it apart. The housing is unmistakably cheap china too, the cast aluminum is as thin as an egg shell.

Another company that has recently made a fatal china decision is G&H ATV Supply. They don't provide Shindy or Wiseco piston kits anymore as standard when they bore cylinders, they're all shipped out with Namura piston kits and gaskets now unless ya demand Shindy or Wiseco (and pay more?) up front. I won't recommend them to anyone nowadays.

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

i dont doubt it bro. but i did buy my last starter for this trx300fw from them, it seems to be good ..for now ?!..lol.

Well, looks like unless I can find a reman oem one that's my option

58 minutes ago, retro said:

If I were you I would take that starter apart before ya put it on your bike. You'll need to put some grease in the nose bearing and rear bushing if you use it, cause both ends are probably bone dry as usual. The one that I have here was not only bone dry, but it had been jammed together with one too many washers shimming up the armature end play which caused the thrust bushing in the nose to be squashed into a bowl shape. The armature would not turn when I took it apart. The housing is unmistakably cheap china too, the cast aluminum is as thin as an egg shell.

Another company that has recently made a fatal china decision is G&H ATV Supply. They don't provide Shindy or Wiseco piston kits anymore as standard when they bore cylinders, they're all shipped out with Namura piston kits and gaskets now unless ya demand Shindy or Wiseco (and pay more?) up front. I won't recommend them to anyone nowadays.

That cast aluminum being thin worries me, Why on earth do they not grease them? That is just asking for trouble with no lubrication, all of these cheap parts don't last half as long as the oem it seems, maybe I can find a reman oem one somewhere. I'll start my search and see how I fare. Thanks for the grease pointer, I can't believe they don't have any lubrication in these things.

your starter part number is 31200-HM8-A41

Scroll the ( parts fitment ) interchange box on the right bottom and you will see all the models and years that starter fits , Honda sure is proud of that starter , pricey 

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/31200-HM8-A41?ref=3a4c11adf9d4d11603b7454d09411b9d874dfda5

go to power sports nation , type in that part number , there is one oem used for $25 available right now , they will give you a warranty like 30 days or so , I have bought starters from them and never got a bad one yet 

• Like 2