IndianaRecon

2002 Honda Recon Foot Shift Problem at RPM

7 hours ago, toodeep said:

Is that a crack in the plate or just a weird reflection? How is the bearing under that plate?

recon.png

its cracked from what I see.

11 hours ago, IndianaRecon said:

Yes, I am thinking the guy before me adjusted the clutch until the screw is where it is. It shifted slightly better when I test drove it. It has gotten worse over the two months I've rode it. I haven't really rode much, I have just been riding to try and get it running right.. I am not worried about pulling the cover, I am heading out to do it now. I have done a decent amount of work with cars. Pulling that cover off is less work than changing my brakes so I am not sweating it. Just so I understand the steps you would take, are you saying you would replace the clutch disks because in your opinion that is the problem, or your just replacing that because you are already in there? I definitely do not disagree either way, I just want to understand your reasoning. I know when I replaced the timing belt on my 06 Honda Pilot, I replaced the water pump, and anything else I could while I had it apart because it just makes sense... There is a gasket, Harvey Spooner got away without replacing it, I didn't order one initially and now I am somewhat regretting it. I will probably see if somewhere local has it, if not I will be waiting a few days on that. Will update when I get it apart. I am interested to see what @toodeep is thinking too. 

when I say replace the friction disk, its not that they are bad ?, its just something I would do seeing how I was already in there, same goes for oil pump chain. why bust into later on, waste time and another gasket ?, do it once, be done with it is what I was getting at.

Two things I noticed , the blue mark on the primary clutch is the bluest I ever seen , and the corrosion looking stuff on the friction plates ---- that does look like a crack in the pic , but the pic is not the best 

58 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Two things I noticed , the blue mark on the primary clutch is the bluest I ever seen , and the corrosion looking stuff on the friction plates ---- that does look like a crack in the pic , but the pic is not the best 

most clutches are all blue like that from the factory.

I have seen them blue , that one is very blue , call it electric blue , cause  ---- I would guess the blue originally comes from a heat treating process ,  that most likely used a electric  ring wrapped around the drum 

Most are a wide dull blue on the centrifugal drum. This machine looks like it might have been rode by kids taking off in a high gear and slipping the........ out if the clutches. Those need inspected as well while its apart. I was focusing on the shifting issue at this time. 

So I decided to put the front crankcase with the new parts on and see what happened. The same thing happened. So then, thinking about what @toodeep said about breaking the clutches free I decided to just go for yet another long ride. I started out in first just driving around, pulling up on the shifter and revving hard. After doing this in different gears and revving hard the clutches finally broke free. So for this issue the cause was stuck clutches. I think that the oil change helped too. This would be the second time the oil has been swapped since I got the quad. The oil I drained out was disgusting and there was a bunch of goop in the front cover so I think the new oil probably helped too. Thanks to everyone for all the help, and especially to @toodeep. That process turned out to be the solution, and I think I have a really good quad now that its fixed! 

One other note, that was just a poor picture. I inspected the plates and nothing was cracked. Other than the crud in the crank cover I thought it looked really good inside. Thanks again everyone!

Edited by IndianaRecon
  • Like 2

thanks for updating what fixed it !. now that you fixed it, does not mean you can't hang around, learn stuff, maybe even teach ?!.

• Like 1

I would watch it and change oil until all the good is gone, but me personally I'd replace the discs if you that's what you had to unstick. You just don't know how long it'll last as is. Just my suggestion.