Misterclean

Two year old ethanol still good!

Yep, that's correct, two year old ethanol is still good........very good in fact. Some of ya'll may all ready know that I keep three barrels of fuel for emergencies. I've been doing this for years. I started keeping it for twelves months then fifteen etc. This time it's about 22 or 23 months old and still like the day I purchased it. I found out that the secret is sealing it tightly to prevent evaporation. I also add one ounce per five gallons of Stabil 360 Marine formula stabilizer just to be safe. A little bit has evaporated thru the threads of the caps i guess because it looks like a few inches are missing but it looks , smells and performs just like new.

1 minute ago, Misterclean said:

Yep, that's correct, two year old ethanol is still good........very good in fact. Some of ya'll may all ready know that I keep three barrels of fuel for emergencies. I've been doing this for years. I started keeping it for twelves months then fifteen etc. This time it's about 22 or 23 months old and still like the day I purchased it. I found out that the secret is sealing it tightly to prevent evaporation. I also add one ounce per five gallons of Stabil 360 Marine formula stabilizer just to be safe. A little bit has evaporated thru the threads of the caps i guess because it looks like a few inches are missing but it looks , smells and performs just like new.

Call me shocked, but glad it's working!  As you said, I'm sure sealing it airtight has a lot to do with it.  I still wonder if you don't have some separation (so what's on the bottom might be iffy)

• Like 1

This is not my first time going long. The last batch was about 18 months old.......zero problems. I posted so Ya'll could learn from my experimenting. It didn't separate. It's clear all the way down. Plus it doesn't separate as some may think. The ethanol can separate if a fairly high percentage of water is introduced to the fuel but it must be mixed vigorously with the fuel. The emulsifiers in the fuel think the water is ethanol and blends it with the fuel until it exceeds the limits of suspension capability then the water and ethanol will fall to the bottom as a mixture. It smells like watered down alcohol. Edited for a quick note.......the fuel at the top is 100 percent ethanol free gas!

Edited by Misterclean

Sounds like you have a system down to keep it good.  My system is to use non ethanol fuel in my ATV & other small engines.

• Like 3

Just now, Scotticus said:

Sounds like you have a system down to keep it good.  My system is to use non ethanol fuel in my ATV & other small engines.

Non ethanol fuel is not available to me unless I want to drive for an hour or two minimum. 

• Like 2

Just now, Misterclean said:

Non ethanol fuel is not available to me unless I want to drive for an hour or two minimum. 

No lakes near by? Anywhere a boat could be in the water docked? Any marina with gas will have no-e fuel. Or atleast in every state i have been in on a lake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

I'm lucky to have non ethanol fuel within a 15 minute drive.  The only downside is that its $3.99 a gallon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SlammedRanger said:

No lakes near by? Anywhere a boat could be in the water docked? Any marina with gas will have no-e fuel. Or atleast in every state i have been in on a lake.

Yes, I live very close to lake Conroe. I forgot that marinas have the option to buy regular gas. I may check it out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

Yes, I live very close to lake Conroe. I forgot that marinas have the option to buy regular gas. I may check it out.

People forget about that all the time. I live 20 minutes south of lake erie. I lost count of places within 10 minutes of me that have no-e fuel. Most gas stations have it next to the race gas pumps. And being summit motorsports park is 2 minutes from my house and 5 minutes at most from anywhere in our small town we have plenty of places to get race gas also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

my simple cure ?, don't leave it sitting for long !..lol. run it ever so often ?, or keep the carb drained ? ( this only works on carb models ).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m lucky there’s a station 2.5 miles from me that sells non-ethanol fuel but it’s only their premium fuel which os usually in the $3.29 to $3.59 range. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

my simple cure ?, don't leave it sitting for long !..lol. run it ever so often ?, or keep the carb drained ? ( this only works on carb models ).

This is not my daily use fuel.......It's emergency fuel. I just stumbled upon the long term storage subject because I'm always trying to make things better or easier........It takes about an hour to fill three drums.  Perhaps a little longer. 

3 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

This is not my daily use fuel.......It's emergency fuel. I just stumbled upon the long term storage subject because I'm always trying to make things better or easier........It takes about an hour to fill three drums.  Perhaps a little longer. 

ahh..ok. I still would not trust it though. but hey..if it works for you ?.good deal !.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip slammed. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.pure-gas.org/

My local farmer's co-op has it.  It's about .30 more per gallon that regular

Walmart has it too, but only in the 93 octane.  Anyone else remember when regular, mid grade, and premium were only separated by 10 cents/gal?  Premium here now is about a buck more than regular.

ethanol is the devil to me on small engines...and fortunately we have 87 pure gas at our QT stations 3 miles away.. i have to head about 12 miles towards the lake to get to a station that has at least 89....that said,  Ihad an old dodge conversion van years back...it had become basically derliect..it actually ran, but the overdrive in the transmission was gone, so I had quit driving it..it sat for months..actually a year..and a guy came and asked to buy it...charged the battery, started right up and he drove it home..on that old ethanol tank of gas.. I can imagine he was endangering the engine, but it was his to do.

still I was amazing the 318 dodge cranked up and ran.

• Like 1

Nebraska produces a large amount of ethanol for blending with  gasoline. Never us it in anything, ATV, chain saw,  weed wacker, lawnmowers nothing. Pay at least a dime more for non-ethanol fuels, but in my mind it is worth it. Mileage and performance are better. Most stations will have the ethanol blend, non-blended unleaded and premium. 

On 2/19/2020 at 4:36 PM, Scotticus said:

I'm lucky to have non ethanol fuel within a 15 minute drive.  The only downside is that its $3.99 a gallon

Wow!! I paid $2.74 a gallon today.

• Like 1

Just now, PROV said:

Wow!! I paid $2.74 a gallon today

Its 90 octane non ethanol.  The state of PA gas tax is second highest in USA at 58.7 cents a gallon. CA is the highest at 61.2.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scotticus said:

Its 90 octane non ethanol.  The state of PA gas tax is second highest in USA at 58.7 cents a gallon. CA is the highest at 61.2.  

Ours is 91 octane non ethanol.

• Like 1