Bobby mckinney

Twist throttle on my honda 300 fourtrax

I like the thumb throttle better on atvs..twist are for motorcycles..lol.

• Like 2

Agreed! Rolled a quad hard one time at the fault of the twist throttle. You twist the grip when you turn and will find that out the hardway. It works fine in dirtbikes and motorcycles because you primarily lean to turn. Quads you use the handlebar angle to turn 100%

2 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Agreed! Rolled a quad hard one time at the fault of the twist throttle. You twist the grip when you turn and will find that out the hardway. It works fine in dirtbikes and motorcycles because you primarily lean to turn. Quads you use the handlebar angle to turn 100%

lol, we'll see him back here soon, telling us how much damage he did to it when he tried to take all the tress out huh ?..lol.

I had one on my 83 200x. I never liked it and it was converted back to thumb. 

• Like 1

Friend of mine has one on his old Polaris Sportsman 500, I rode it a few times and didn't care for it. I found it a bit dangerous going up really steep trail with sharp turns. Especially when turning to the left, it seemed like it wanted to add power when I didn't want it or need it. He told me he's about tipped it over backwards while climbing because of it.  He bought it that way so has gotten somewhat used to it. Please be careful, I can understand that it is easier to operate for long periods of sustained speeds but could end up being dangerous for you.

Yep, all it takes is one "Oh crud!" when you whisky throttle it to want to go back to the thumb.

I was on a Rincon one time trying to push it out of a hole, when it started moving my feet stuck in the mud and it pulled me forward, falling down.  When that happened my hand twisted on the handlebars and ended up dragging me.  And before someone asks why I didn't let go, it was on a big hill going down, so once it came out of the hole, had I let go, it was looking at 1/4 mile down a huge hill.

• Like 1

Ok I took the twist throttle back off,I did try to ride it with the twist throttle,and from my point I wouldn't advise it,it is really awkward going up hill or turning,so I learned not to put a twist throttle on a atv,I have the thumb on back on it now,I wouldn't want some to get hurt trying to ride it,so thanks for the comments,you guys rite don't put the twist throttle on a atv,a lot safer now...thanks..

• Like 3

Yeah, tried the twist throttle on a Rancher years ago didn't think it was much good. Maybe on a race quad just on the track for someone that's use to it but that's about it.

IMO, not even on a track. The wheelers give to much feedback with every bump, whoop, landing or whatever that can make you give it that extra little twist. Maybe ice racing or flat track it would be alright. There has been a few times riding in the sub temps i would have liked one. They use to make a slide on grip with a lever built on that when you twisted the grip it would push on the thumb throttle like a twist grip. When you didn't want it just turn it up and use your thumb like usual. Those would have been okay if they had a solid lock on them so the grip didn't move when riding normally.

Kind of a late reply, but here it is. Years ago I bent my right thumb back further than it was designed to go. Could not touch anything with it. This was right before deer season. A friend gave me a twist throttle kit ( he wasn’t racing anymore) and I installed it. Having rode motorcycles for years, I had no problem with it, but then I was just riding back and forth to my stand (1/2 mile). As soon as deer season was over and my thumb healed, I went back to the thumb throttle, as my son rode this rancher too, and I can see how a twist throttle could be a problem, especially if you were to have a lead foot (or  thumb). I agree with the above comments, stick with the thumb throttle, unless you mess up your right thumb right before deer season!