jeepwm69

05-11 Foreman 500 FM engine rebuild

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Can be done like Sled said.  It's tight and a PITA, but it can be done.

Or pull the engine again.  I'm honestly not sure which is better.  It's a pain to pull the engine, but SO much easier to work on it out of the frame.

We ended up pulling the engine again. After having just done it, my son and I pulled it out in about 30-45 min., not too bad. Sure enough, the gear position sensor was 180 degrees out. Put it all back together, fired right up and sounded like a dream. Put it in gear and it lunged forward a little, like you'd expect, but then it won't go anywhere. I guess I did something wrong on the clutches. I'm going to leave the engine in this time though. We're getting really good at taking this thing apart and putting it together again. I just wish I could do it once for a change! lol!

Did you take the clutch apart ? I would guess you pinched a disc in the shift clutch from it being not aligned when you tightened it up 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good job getting that switch position reset and engine back in

Sounds like you just have a hung up plate on your change clutch

Pull the front cover and see if plates are loose, if so, just pull springs back off and fiddle with plates till they stack up right and are tight when you put springs and bolts back on

Most times its just one plate edge thats hung up and you can just loosen springs and knock the clutch a couple times(carefully) with plastic hammer to settle the plates

Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AKATV said:

Good job getting that switch position reset and engine back in

Sounds like you just have a hung up plate on your change clutch

Pull the front cover and see if plates are loose, if so, just pull springs back off and fiddle with plates till they stack up right and are tight when you put springs and bolts back on

Most times its just one plate edge thats hung up and you can just loosen springs and knock the clutch a couple times(carefully) with plastic hammer to settle the plates

Let us know how it goes!

I hope it is is something simple like that. I bought this thing really cheap for me and my 13 y.o. son to have a project to work on together. So far we've had it more than 3 weeks and the poor guy has only gotten to ride it once. I think we're in the end stretch though, I hope. I'll let yall know how it goes.

Your boy sounds like a pretty good wrench. What will you rent him out for next time I need to pull my Ruby engine? 😆

Seriously, putting wrench time in will make him think twice about being reckless with it.

• Like 2

That’s how I learned to wrench. My dad had a Honda 90 atc he build out of a box. It was perfect when I started riding it when I was about 8. By the time I was 12-14 it was completely wore out from my brother and I. So I started to learn how to take it apart and fix stuff. I think we went through a couple cases from chain breaks and axles and you name it we broke it.  
it’s a wealth of information he can carry with him forever. 
glad you got it all sorted out. 

• Like 2

Finally! The inner part of the clutch basket was hanging on the last tooth for some reason. I assembled it on the bench to make sure it made up correctly, reinstalled it and we are good to go. My son is very happy!

Sled_22, that's how I started as well. I had a 185S ATC when I was my son's age. It started smoking. My Dad borrowed a repair manual from a friend and we but a new set of rings it it together. Ive been doing it ever since. I'm glad my son is picking up on it as well. Thought about buying him a new one but that would be no fun at all! lol!

I'm having a different problem with it totally unrelated to engine problems, but I'll start a new thread for that one.

165442983_10221493797552846_2292021158594916331_n.jpg

• Like 4

Way to go getting that clutch back together!

I think we’ve all pinched a clutch plate or two before...

nothing better than handing down those skills to your son to be able to help himself and others later on as well

• Like 2

Finished tearing into another one of these this morning.  Have two different gear reductions I picked up from Chris Clark, so the 09 (27" Executioners) is going to get the 15% primary and the 06 (28" Mudbugs) will get the 15% secondary.

My 09 needs a crank, so this one will be swapped into the 09 when done, and then I'll rebuild the 09 engine, put the secondary GR in it, and put it in the 06.

I have two extra 500 engines in the shop (purposely).  That way when I need to do a rebuild on mine or a friends, I can build one while the machine is still in use, then just swap out the engines.

I might eventually build one out of extra parts, thus the 2nd "spare" engine.

This one looks like it might have been run a little hard.  Interestingly enough the 4-dog (weak 05-08 design) first gear looked great.  It's still getting swapped out for the 09-11 style.

busted.jpg

busted2.jpg

• Like 1

i have a 07 500 foreman footshift and when i put it in reverse it wont move it just revs up but if i push the shifter down and hold it the gears grind the whole time and it kinda starts moving backwards what could be my problem its also kind of hard to get into first but once you get it in first it pulls fine and shifts through the rest of the gears fine

Edited by hondafanatic
forgot to add something

4 hours ago, hondafanatic said:

i have a 07 500 foreman footshift and when i put it in reverse it wont move it just revs up but if i push the shifter down and hold it the gears grind the whole time and it kinda starts moving backwards what could be my problem its also kind of hard to get into first but once you get it in first it pulls fine and shifts through the rest of the gears fine

Could be any of the gears in there. My secondary shaft which is kind of like the idlers between the drive gear and transmission was all stripped out when I bought my 05. But only the idler that turns first stripped.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you're going to get out with a simple fix. Start reading this thread and watching youtube university. It's fairly simple if you know how to turn a ratchet.

Yep, you're going to have to tear into it, and pull the transmission out and inspect all the gears and dogs.

It's advanced level legos.  I set the stuff together in bunches (clutches on one shop towel, flywheel and secondary gears from the backside of the motor on another towel, etc) to keep up with what goes where.

If you get stuck you can always look at schematics.

But pull the motor, tear it down, and see what you find.  You should be able to get used stuff cheap on ebay.  The transmissions in these are tough.  You're the only one I've seen with a problem on an 05-11 500 transmission other than the 1st gear problems in the 05-08 machines.

Funny how, even with as many of these as I've done, the one I'm working on now gave me fits last night.

Couldn't sleep, so got up and worked in the shop from about midnight to 3AM (working @shadetree hours!)

Already had the front put together, so put the front cover on.  It required some persuasion but I got it on.  Front crank bearing didn't want to go on the end of the crank. 

Got clutch adjusted and flipped it around to the back side.  Things didn't line up.  Realized it was the gear position switch, so messed with it for a few minutes before realizing that the transmission was in 5th, not neutral.  Got that fixed, got rear cover on, noticed I lipped the rear output seal, so had to take it back off.  Got it back on and realized that while removing it the time before, I dropped the starter gear shim down in the back, so pulled the rear cover off again.  Got it back on, and in place, and realized I left the oring off of the top dowel pin, so had to pull it off AGAIN and put that in there.

FINALLY got the rear put in place and bolted up.

Then added front output shaft, shifter seal, reverse seal.

Set that one in the shop floor with a cover over it until I can get some cylinders bored

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Funny how, even with as many of these as I've done, the one I'm working on now gave me fits last night.

Couldn't sleep, so got up and worked in the shop from about midnight to 3AM (working @shadetree hours!)

Already had the front put together, so put the front cover on.  It required some persuasion but I got it on.  Front crank bearing didn't want to go on the end of the crank. 

Got clutch adjusted and flipped it around to the back side.  Things didn't line up.  Realized it was the gear position switch, so messed with it for a few minutes before realizing that the transmission was in 5th, not neutral.  Got that fixed, got rear cover on, noticed I lipped the rear output seal, so had to take it back off.  Got it back on and realized that while removing it the time before, I dropped the starter gear shim down in the back, so pulled the rear cover off again.  Got it back on, and in place, and realized I left the oring off of the top dowel pin, so had to pull it off AGAIN and put that in there.

FINALLY got the rear put in place and bolted up.

Then added front output shaft, shifter seal, reverse seal.

Set that one in the shop floor with a cover over it until I can get some cylinders bored

lol, sounds like some of my worst days from the past eh ?..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Picked up a partial 2008 500 last week.  The bottom end was NICE.

Looks like this one was sidelined due to a broken timing chain.  I've seen some stretched, but this is my first BROKEN timing chain I've seen.  Meter shows about 7K miles.

Needless to say, this one is turning into a very time consuming clean out.  Spent 2 hours this morning and an hour yesterday afternoon taking off front and rear covers and removing everything under them.  Still have to split cases and clean out inside of them, and I'm prettty sure the crank will have to go to Vince at Mr Crankshaft LOL

08 bottom.jpg

08 bottom 2.jpg

08 bottom 3.jpg

08 bottom 4.jpg

Me.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Picked up a partial 2008 500 last week.  The bottom end was NICE.

Looks like this one was sidelined due to a broken timing chain.  I've seen some stretched, but this is my first BROKEN timing chain I've seen.  Meter shows about 7K miles.

Needless to say, this one is turning into a very time consuming clean out.  Spent 2 hours this morning and an hour yesterday afternoon taking off front and rear covers and removing everything under them.  Still have to split cases and clean out inside of them, and I'm prettty sure the crank will have to go to Vince at Mr Crankshaft LOL

08 bottom.jpg

08 bottom 2.jpg

08 bottom 3.jpg

08 bottom 4.jpg

Me.jpg

looks like some of my past engine builds ?!...lol.

Worked some more yesterday on "de gorbage" 08 engine.

In the past, I've seen some people claim that the new style 1st/Low gearset started in mid-year 2008, and this 2008 engine did indeed have the new style gearset in it. 

Got cases split, cleaned up.  Crank knocked out to send to Vince/Mr Crankshaft.  Transmission gears were all cleaned up and are sitting on a shop towel awaiting reassembly.

Luckily the drain plug bung was in good shape on this one.  Given the rest of the engine, I half expected it to be busted as well.

So for now, everything on this one has been cleaned up and set aside.  When I get a batch of cranks sent off to Vince I'll be able to put it back together.

gorbage.jpg

gorbage2.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like leaves in there..lol? Was it sitting for awhile with top end off?

I can smell the starting fluid all the way up here haha

I bet it will clean up good though, not too crusty and rusted, just gunk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Looks like leaves in there..lol? Was it sitting for awhile with top end off?

I can smell the starting fluid all the way up here haha

I bet it will clean up good though, not too crusty and rusted, just gunk

Apparently so.  LOL

And yeah, I'm trying to get away from starter fluid, as Mrs Jeep ! about the smell, even hours after I've used it.  That and it's pushing $5/can now around here.

But nothing else works as well.  I've done as well as I can in my parts washer, but will have to use starter fluid for the final clean before reassembly.

• Haha 1

I know, seems I have tried everything out there and nothing seems to work as good as starting fluid

I used to get it for 2 bucks and change a can, now its like almost 5 at Walmart

I see they have a 50% Ether version that is a dollar less, but I am sure that means it probably doesn't work at well (for cleaning)

but I will get a can or two and check it out

I usually just pick up like 8 cans at a time and just figure it into costs, like parts

-Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses

• Like 1

Well I just ordered a rod for the Rubicon crank, so as soon as it arrives both cranks will go to Vince, and once I get those back then I'll work on getting this one back together.

Got the crank back from Vince at Mr Crankshaft.  Looked like new. 

I ended up using a different back crank case half because the bearings in the original were pretty iffy looking. I was able to get the bearings in the front crank case half cleaned out and spinning easily without issue or roughness.

EFA55AA2-7950-4A10-A210-E4BF0CBDC396.jpeg

• Like 1

The reverse shift fork was iffy looking on this one, so I ordered a replacement along with a few other small bits from powersportsnation, who has a 22% off sale going through today.

Push rods and followers, cam chain guide, and a dash for my buddy's 450 (someone had drilled holes in his)

Also ordered some gaskets from Japanese Dream Bikes on ebay.  I got a couple of front cover gaskets from him and they were good quality, so I ordered some 500 rear gaskets as well, along with some 300 gaskets.

Added pics of reverse shift fork that I opted to replace....

shift fork.jpg

shift fork2.jpg

• Like 1

Rain here so can’t tear into that 300 clutch cover, so getting this 500 engine put back together to clear off my workbench.

Clutch adjuster is seized in the front cover so going to have to heat it.  Penetrating oil and pressure haven’t budged it.

8736DA21-419E-4C23-A1D1-D657F12E36BF.jpeg

• Like 2

Got the adjuster screw freed up with a propane torch and my press (put pressure on it, heated it till it popped down, then repeated till it was out).

Installed front cover, and new gaskets for the back arrived over the weekend so I'll try to get it buttoned up this week.

I propane torched my thumb messing with it.  That hurts!  One of those really "Did I just really do that" moments before the sailor talk started.

Also went ahead and put the piston and cylinder on, since I was waiting on a gasket to get things buttoned up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1