jeepwm69

05-11 Foreman 500 FM engine rebuild

14 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Well ! Never mind that text about the weather.. Being you burnt your thumb.... My bad.... 

Man I go to bed about 8PM most nights when the little one goes down, and my ringer goes off when I get in the bed. LOL

Got this engine buttoned up today.  Thought I would have time to finish it up and get some work done on the Rubicon engine, but by the time I got the rear cover, stator, starter and recoil installed, head and valve cover installed (had to chase threads), valves adjusted, I barely had time to wrap this one up before I had to get ready for work.

Next up is the Rubicon engine I have had torn down (have a separate thread for that one).

• Like 4

Finally threw this away last night, but wanted to get a picture of it before I did. 

Talk about ROACHED!  This was the pull start cage from that "gorbage" 2008 engine I just went through.  That recoil cage has to seal on a rubber seal in the back of the rear crankcase cover, and as destroyed as it us, driving through any water at all would have allowed water into the engine.

Got a used one in great shape from PSN for $10ish.

4DEB104D-2C97-4AB7-80A9-F1E638E3B9EA.jpeg

CA12C2B1-502C-48E1-B888-691FCF251FD2.jpeg

• Like 1

So one of these 500FM cylinders U have had to be bored 1.5 over, and my piston guy sent me a WSM piston.  

No intake/exhaust markings on it, and I saw an old post from @AKATV on the old board asking the same question, and he was told “Run it either way” by the company.

So Akatv, how did it work?  Any issues?

I have done probably five or six 500 engines since then of the 2005 to 2011 variety all with (unmarked) WSM Pistons and they have worked very well with no issues at all

When I called WSM they were very aware and have had a lot of calls, but I guess because the piston pin is not offset in this particular model at all there is really no front and rear

I thought it had more to do with oiling holes or something on the piston but I guess not

I told him they could at least put a slip of paper in the box saying there’s no orientation or or just stamp an arrow on there if it doesn’t matter -right ?

it’s the first time I had run across a piston with no form of proper orientation marking

• Thanks 1

Got my 1.5 over WSM piston and cylinder installed last night, and got the head in place.  Had to install a new exhaust stud in the head, and then dug around for about 20 mins trying to find the nuts, washers, and bolts to get the head tightened down and the valve cover installed.

Of course, with my working area, once this engine is together it will just go in the corner until spring when I can get out in the yard and get everything put in place.

But at least I'll get it off of my workbench.

• Like 2