DavidsAwesome

2005 Honda TRX400EX Rear Brakes

I had the hardest time changing the rear brakes on my 400 right now. Turned out, I had to back off the emergency brake to get the pads to have enough space to fit the rotor in between them.

When I was backing off the emergency brake, I broke that rubber boot that sits right there, and some brake fluid came out. Not a lot but enough that I knew it was broken.

When I put everything back together, I have no pressure on that rear brake. The emergency brake works great, and I adjusted it back where it needs to be... But the foot pedal goes straight down and has no pressure. I tried pumping it, to no avail. There's no fluid visibly coming out of the cracked boot, but I suspect that's my issue.

What do I need to replace?

Edit: 2005 HONDA TRX400EX

2 minutes ago, DavidsAwesome said:

Can an admin move this to the correct section since I'm an idiot?

done !..lol.

• Like 1

make sure to post in new member section, alittle about yourself please :-). help will be around soon, hang tight !.

When you removed the old pads and used a c-clamp to move the piston back into the caliper did you remove the cap on the reservoir? Should have been mounted on the side of the frame about shin high on the right side when sitting on the quad. Has a grey cap on it. If you didnt remove it its possible the pressure could have reuined something on the master cylinder. The ebrake works because it doesnt use the hydraulic pressure. It uses a cable to push on the piston manually. I would try removing the cap and bleeding the system in hopes it gets pressure again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

When you removed the old pads and used a c-clamp to move the piston back into the caliper did you remove the cap on the reservoir? Should have been mounted on the side of the frame about shin high on the right side when sitting on the quad. Has a grey cap on it. If you didnt remove it its possible the pressure could have reuined something on the master cylinder. The ebrake works because it doesnt use the hydraulic pressure. It uses a cable to push on the piston manually. I would try removing the cap and bleading the system in hopes it gets pressure again.

this guy will get ya fixed up david !!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

When you removed the old pads and used a c-clamp to move the piston back into the caliper did you remove the cap on the reservoir? Should have been mounted on the side of the frame about shin high on the right side when sitting on the quad. Has a grey cap on it. If you didnt remove it its possible the pressure could have reuined something on the master cylinder. The ebrake works because it doesnt use the hydraulic pressure. It uses a cable to push on the piston manually. I would try removing the cap and bleeding the system in hopes it gets pressure again.

I didn't, and I knew I should have done something like that! The YouTube videos I watched showed nothing like that, so I went against my better judgment. I'll look for this reservoir. I should mention that the front brakes are working fine though... Is the master cylinder just for the rear brakes?

Yessir. Quads have completely seperate front and rear brake systems. And the opposite of the way a car works they have no by-pass valve that will let you press in the brake piston. If you force it you can do serious damage to the master cylinder or the caliper. Depending on what seal decides to be the weakest link. There should have been zero fluid behind the e-brake plate so that is my bet as to where the blow out happened. Which could possibly mean when you remove the cap and go about pressing the piston back and then bleed the system you could be ok. It hopefully just pushed a bit of fluid around the piston to relieve the pressure. But that relief of pressure would still let some air back in and that would be why your pedal is dead. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

SlammedRanger,

Thanks a ton. I bled the brakes, and got all of that black fluid out of there. For now it seems to be doing really well. Hopefully that's all it was.

6 minutes ago, DavidsAwesome said:

The reservoir on the handlebars says DOT 4.... Do you recommend DOT 5?

now this i can answer !. both are the same..except !!!!, one has a higher boiling point than the other, maybe that's why he asked ?.

I run dot 5. You want a minimum of dot 4. But i use my brakes hard when racing so i go for the higher boiling point fluid. I always forget not everyone get brakes so hot you could cook an egg on the rotor lol.

• Like 1

Just now, SlammedRanger said:

I run dot 5. You want a minimum of dot 4. But i use my brakes hard when racing so i go for the higher boiling point fluid. I always forgot not everyone get brakes so hot you could cook an egg on the rotor lol.

sooo..i was right ??..lol

• Haha 1

Just now, DavidsAwesome said:

Okay cool. I did DOT 4, but I'll keep in mind that maybe I should run DOT 5. I didn't know about the heat rating. I've learned a lot today. lol

lol, like i told ya on the old site, lots of great ppl here, smart, and will help ya !.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums. For a great front brake upgrade on the 400ex. You can install YFZ450 front calipers any year. They are dual piston and require a lot less effort to slow down or stop your bike. 

13 minutes ago, TRX2FiveO said:

Welcome to the forums. For a great front brake upgrade on the 400ex. You can install YFZ450 front calipers any year. They are dual piston and require a lot less effort to slow down or stop your bike. 

I couldnt bring myself to do it. Its bad enough i used a yamaha carb lol. I went with 05 trx450r spindles, hubs, and calipers. The difference in stopping power was insane. I just feather them with 1 finger and it stops way better than stock ever could!

On 4/4/2020 at 9:22 PM, SlammedRanger said:

I couldnt bring myself to do it. Its bad enough i used a yamaha carb lol. I went with 05 trx450r spindles, hubs, and calipers. The difference in stopping power was insane. I just feather them with 1 finger and it stops way better than stock ever could!

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ you do realize there is absolutely NOTHING on the calipers that say YAMAHA! They are the exact same name as the ones on HONDA, SUZUKI,KAWASAKI.... dont be so naive and quick to deter others from buying something just because it "didn't " come off of a Honda. You dont have to spend a boat load either like you do to use 450r parts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TRX2FiveO said:

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ you do realize there is absolutely NOTHING on the calipers that say YAMAHA! They are the exact same name as the ones on HONDA, SUZUKI,KAWASAKI.... dont be so naive and quick to deter others from buying something just because it "didn't " come off of a Honda. You dont have to spend a boat load either like you do to use 450r parts. 

Actually i had a 05 trx450 parts quad i got mine off. And i know they dont say yamaha on them. I was just giving them another option is all bud. Did the yfz calipers require the hubs and spindles like the trx ones did?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Actually i had a 05 trx450 parts quad i got mine off. And i know they dont say yamaha on them. I was just giving them another option is all bud. Did the yfz calipers require the hubs and spindles like the trx ones did?

Nah the YFZ Calipers are a direct fit. nothing required to make them fit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SlammedRanger said:

Wow thats crazy! The trx caliper holes werent even close to matching. It was way off! LoL.

Your calipers are the same as 700xx... but yeah the YFZ are much less expensive

• Thanks 1