Papa T

2012 Rancher 420 ES differential leak x2

Help. What parts are needed and how to? I have 2 leaks. First is on left side of differential where the sleeve that the axle is in comes out through a seal. Second is the left end of that sleeve where the 2 lock nuts are. I can spin the sleeve by hand and it has a tiny bit of left and right play in it. Pic attached. Any help with what all parts I need and how to repair would be much appreciated. 

D673341C-9BA1-41B9-812C-67AFCDF49AB8.jpeg

simple: take the lock nuts off, watch for O-rings, there should be one on each side of that sleave ?, on the inside of the sleave next to the differential, is a oil seal, see if its bad ?. all of these are what keeps your gear oil in the differential. you can down load the service manual from our site for free, that should also hep you :-). you will need to large pipe wrenched to remove the large lock nuts. pull wheel, and hub off first of course !.

also, please make a post in the new member section, tell us a tad about ya please :-).

1 minute ago, Papa T said:

Thanks. Will do. So I assume I just need a differential seal kit?

yep, maybe just that one side seal , and the O-rings. please get the service manual from here, i will look it up for you, and see what all parts you need ?.

please do not buy any of this from ebay or amazon !!, its china junk, and maybe even china from partzilla ?, they have started selling parts, with the words made in china on the back of the packages now !. still better than ebay and amazon !.

• Like 1

Just now, Papa T said:

So you suggest partzilla? Or? 

partzilla has the best prices and parts

3 minutes ago, Papa T said:

Thank you so much. I will get them ordered and post updates once I get started on the repair. 

yes..please keep this thread updated on your work !, we love pics !!!. who knows , maybe another member will join, see your thread, fix his atv too ?!.

• Like 1

when ya get the parts, start taking it all part like i said above ^^, then we'll get ya going on other side so you can get the right rear oil seal in the rear diff.

So, I should do both sides? I guess the brakes have to come off to?

Agreed, let me order those 3 parts and get wheels and hubs off then we can go from there. Thanks again

1 minute ago, Papa T said:

So, I should do both sides? I guess the brakes have to come off to?

Agreed, let me order those 3 parts and get wheels and hubs off then we can go from there. Thanks again

yep, you may as well replace both seals seeing how your tearing into it..right ?. its easy. once left side wheel and hub is off, you just unhook your brake cables, unbolt the backing plate from the swing arm, remove the backing plate, drum and all. slide the whole axle out the right rear side, pry the oil seal out of the rear differential, same goes for left rear side oil seal in differential, slide axle and brake parts all back through differential ( grease axle splines before you install axle ), once axle is in, put o-ring on, then all the other following parts, tighten everything up really good, check your gear oil to see if you need to top it off ?, then you should be good to ride !. ( clean your rear differential skid plate off would be a good idea ). then have a ride, check for leaks , that's all there is too it :-). if ya get stumped ?, come back here, or look in service manual..or ask us !.

i forgot, right rear side has axle tubbing, you will need to unbolt this from diff in order to pry that side oil seal out, sorry about that. its still simple stuff !.

just looked back on that ^^^ fich, unbolt the backing plate ( rear brake area ) then pull axle out, now you must remove the bolts holding the axle tubing to the swing arm and differential , once these are out of the way, you now can pry the right rear differential oil seal out of the differential, tap new seal back in CAREFULLY !, axle tube back on, backing plate back on, then o-ring on left rear side, and the reat of the parts, if ya get stumped ?, don't understand the service manual ?, ask away !.

Will do. Also, back brakes barely work. Would it be much more work to fix back brakes? Parts ordered. I went ahead and ordered rear brake pads too. Parts should be here by Wednesday. 

12 hours ago, Papa T said:

Will do. Also, back brakes barely work. Would it be much more work to fix back brakes? 

nope, simple, remove the rear brake, we'll get back to it when ya get the other rear stuff done :-).

39 minutes ago, Papa T said:

Will do. Also, back brakes barely work. Would it be much more work to fix back brakes? Parts ordered. I went ahead and ordered rear brake pads too. Parts should be here by Wednesday. 

I hope you checked the rear back brake cables ?, they may need replacing as well ?. if not ?, don't worry about it right now :-).

Yea I'd check your cables wouldn't hurt a nice your in there to do it all. Seals and check cables ect. I still gotta rebuild my front brakes on my 300.