toodeepmember

What the!!!!!

Hi: There is a lot of Racoons around here also --- this year I live trapped 39 of them and took for a long ride to the other side of the bridge. Last year I relocated 28 to the same spot

Racoon #24 (1).JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: There is a lot of Racoons around here also --- this year I live trapped 39 of them and took for a long ride to the other side of the bridge. Last year I relocated 28 to the same spot

Racoon #24 (1).JPG

Around here that's illegal.   If you take them half way across the bridge you are closer to being legal.😳  Law states raccoons are considered pests and must be dispatched in a humane manner and the remains are to remain on the property where killed or caught and killed.

49 minutes ago, TBRider said:

Last coon I had here I shot, he was full of ticks....

The Afro-Americans here will pay $30-40 for a big #1 coon that has been field dressed and skinned   , you got to get all the musk glands out , think there are like 17 , under the arms , in the neck , etc , and no ticks either , LOL  ----  cooked in the oven with sweet potatoes , I can't lie I have tried it , not bad , reminds me of goat --- when I first got married in 1983 my first wife's family had a really big grocery store in old town New Orleans , they sold coons in the butcher meat displays behind the glass , they had to leave one foot attached , so it could not be mistaken for a cat , no kidding 

Coon hunting at night with dogs is big here in Lacombe , I know a few groups that are into it , I think they are really outlaws that just like to have an excuse to be in the woods at night with guns , LOL 

We have a herds of coons at the feeders , 9 at one time  is the most I have counted this year 

I had a pet coon one time , that didn't work out too good , caught him very young , but never could break him , he was pretty mean when he wanted to be , had to wear double gloves to hold him --- guy told me years later the way to break them is get them drunk when they are young , whiskey and milk in a bottle 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Now it's a 5-6 year tally but I'm up to 196 racoons right now.  One nearby sweetcorn farmer claims 283 coons shot in one growing season.   That ladies and gentlemen is a real problem. 

I have a log home with matching interlocking log 28x36 shop.  I had coon skulls on every log end on the front of the shop before my wife claimed my display was grotesque and took the leaf blower to them.  

It's been months since I shot one but as long as they don't show up on the trail cams every night or destroy the bird feeders I'll leave them be.

Coons and Carpenter Bees.  Yeah, they are my enemy.

• Like 2

oh sheesh fish, don't let that get out one of those crying asacp members would turn into a snowflake haha! i used to go coon hunting as a kid, i liked the sport, for us, is was a challenge to see how good your dog could track tree one,  budy of  mine Richard (who i sold an 85 toyota 22r engine to) still goes to this very day. everyone here (old blood community members) went one time or another, now as for how many were actually shot, and killed ? i couldn't say. but they can be a problem if the  population is not controled, just like deer hunting, and coyotes. isn't the old saying  man rules over the animals ?? not the other way around.  here it's now fireants, and dillas. 

2 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Coons and Carpenter Bees.  Yeah, they are my enemy.

Carpenter bees were giving me the blues , I got some of them carpenter  bee traps and set them right over their hole , they go in and can't get out , must have took out the breeding stock , cause they have not come back 

I seen homemade traps with a Masson jug 

fullsizeoutput_e00.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Carpenter bees were giving me the blues , I got some of them carpenter  bee traps and set them right over their hole , they go in and can't get out , must have took out the breeding stock , cause they have not come back 

I seen homemade traps with a Masson jug 

fullsizeoutput_e00.jpeg

I make tiny birdhouses with an angled 1/2" hole in the front and a hole in the bottom perfect for screwing in a disposable water bottle.  Bees think the front hole is the entrance to their nest and enter.  Don't like what they've gotten themselves into and head for the sunlight which happens to be the water bottle gathering light and pumping it in to the bee trap.  Once in the bottle they can't climb up or fly since the neck is narrower than their wingspan.   I'll guess I get around 100 each spring and the birdshot takes another 50.  It keeps from getting too bored.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I'll guess I get around 100 each spring and the birdshot takes another 50.  It keeps from getting too bored.

wwo! they must be really bad to break out the shotgun ??. i usually pick them off with a 760 pump BB gun, but, then again i don't see all that many. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

41 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

wwo! they must be really bad to break out the shotgun ??. i usually pick them off with a 760 pump BB gun, but, then again i don't see all that many. 

.22 birdshot.   Either in a Ruger Bearcat or a bolt rifle.  The Hatsan CZ 452 Lux clone.

Worst job I ever had to do. 1999 Cadillac Northstar head gaskets and timesert head bolt threads. This car was clean as a pin and just had a misfire if it sat for more than a day without being started up. Hated myself for taking it on but really wanted to do one. Luckily I was able to use that lift at a farm I did the work for or I would of told the guy no on the job if I didn't have axcess to it. Everybody that walked by was always saying What the!!!

111-img_20130725_134432_815jpg

IMG_20130724_121721_273.jpg

IMG_20130725_134432_815.jpg

Edited by Chevymec
  • Like 2

One of my front loader drivers did this a long time ago. It stayed on till he got a new truck. If it got too clean we would have to spruce it up a little. Kids seemed to like it when they saw it at a stop light. He said he heard it even had a little fame on instagram.

steve1.jpg

• Like 2