LedFTed

season cast iron

i got the flax oil in the mail. it was Barlean's Lignan Organic comes in a brown bottle. i am surprised it is not in a glass bottle,  i can see it say's to store in refrigerator.

well i'm going to try it, anyway [they talked about plastic breathing]. i believe it.  it cost 14.56 plus shipping. total cost with shipping was 20.72 USA. well i got to read up on Sheryl Canter method. it take's a few day's maybe 5, to cure it. but skillet is dishwasher safe, least for a while. least once during testing, i dont plan on using dishwasher. 

now if i had a piece of aluminum or iron to sit on electronic stove burner heat would be more even. it would have to be at least 3/8 thick, and fit over the burner.[maybe 5/i6] to regulate the heat.

if your cast iron dont have a name on the bottom. is it just scrap iron?

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

if your cast iron dont have a name on the bottom. is it just scrap iron?

not necessarily. my birmingham stove and range that is from late 60s is just a ring on bottom with a notch cut out. you might try to ID them with some Google-Fu. worked for me. 

If it cooks good food is all that matters. I had an old POS frying pan that  kept around for years just because it cooked bacon the best.

• Like 1

i did a short cut on a skillet i inherited from my dad. it had been washed to many time's. it wasnt Sheryl's method. i put the oil i had bought in it, wiped it down,, put skillet on outside grill at 450, for an hour, let skillet cool down, added oil wiped it, did it again. i did it three time's. the rust is still there on the outside. doing it the long way can only improve what i did today. i only did it three time's in a day. the skillet looks better, on the inside, then it has in years.{i think i'm getting my spelling back, and my whistle], it really need's to be stripped and sanded. then coated, with oil, thinly, all over .{i think i had a clog upstairs, and it wasnt in the house}[i am on beer 6]. any way. her method is good. time consuming, but good.

2 hours ago, dearchristopher said:

not necessarily. my birmingham stove and range that is from late 60s is just a ring on bottom with a notch cut out. you might try to ID them with some Google-Fu. worked for me. 

i was talking about cast iron cook wear, but the old stove's worked much much better than the new ones. the new ones still waste heat. you could cut was down on your electric bill, if the heat wasnt wasted. i miss the old push button electric stoves. but much heat was wasted. some insulation like the tiles on the space shuttle, would save a bunch of heat. the new stoves waste a lot of heat. aint an engineer that can get this past company store. [still got kinks in my spelling].

• Like 1

i shortcutted the seasoning process. did inside of skillet, left outside alone. glad i did. pictures coming. shows you the part about striping a skillet down to bare bones, before you re-season a skillet. i threw the pict. third in for kicks. tis a wood carving from a wooden chair.  carved into the chair.

DSCN2666.JPG

DSCN2667.JPG

DSCN2574.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 9:56 PM, LedFTed said:

i was talking about cast iron cook wear, but the old stove's worked much much better than the new ones. the new ones still waste heat. you could cut was down on your electric bill, if the heat wasnt wasted. i miss the old push button electric stoves. but much heat was wasted. some insulation like the tiles on the space shuttle, would save a bunch of heat. the new stoves waste a lot of heat. aint an engineer that can get this past company store. [still got kinks in my spelling].

I was too! my BSR is my favorite skillet. lol

• Like 1

Let me direct you skillet guys to pass over to the food channel in the chat section and pass along some good things to cook in them skillets !!! That skillet jalepeano corn bread looked pretty good ..... 

• Like 3

how do you keep cornbread from sticking in an iron skillet? is it, how the skillet the skillet is seasoned, or something ya do to the skillet before ya cook?, like add oil, butter, or cornmeal, in the bottom.

IDK, if cooking with iron, has to due with how the iron is prepared, or the food you cook in it. i had a while to think about this, and, i think it is both. 🙂

Good question.... The simple answer is pre heat the skillet to about 450 with a table spoon. Of the oil of your choice .. Mines olive, or  canola oil ... Then take the hot oil and dump it into the batter mix, whisk it good , then pour it into the iron .. Slide. It back in the oven .. And bake for ABOUT  20 minutes ... When the edge turns slightly  dark ... You should be good to go ..... Just a note ... The oven rack should. Be low in the oven for baking .. 

You don't need a seasoned skillet for cornbread ...  

On 4/4/2020 at 2:35 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

Good question.... The simple answer is pre heat the skillet to about 450 with a table spoon. Of the oil of your choice .. Mines olive, or  canola oil ... Then take the hot oil and dump it into the batter mix, whisk it good , then pour it into the iron .. Slide. It back in the oven .. And bake for ABOUT  20 minutes ... When the edge turns slightly  dark ... You should be good to go ..... Just a note ... The oven rack should. Be low in the oven for baking .. 

You don't need a seasoned skillet for cornbread ...  

i got a olive oil-canola oil blend, i think i like for cooking. this oven is weird. a smart-oven, made at GE, but is chinise. i smoked a whole cigarette, while in pre-heat. i even put it out for a few minutes.

in your stove it should be low. in this stove low to mid range. i miss push button electrics. where i decide the temperature, not the stove..

Are you talking about where to put the rack in the oven ? Should be low to the bottom element (in an electrical oven) ... I couldn't advise on a push button cook top ... I always only had a rotary dial  ...  Cook top... But now this new oven IS a push button temp oven ... Works good... You've seen my cornbread (award winning) cornbread ;) ... The cook is 99% of it ... No matter what it's cooked in, or on...  

Also ... If it's winter ... After your done baking broiling leave the oven door open ... Your be surprised at how much warmer you home will get .. 

• Like 1

tis an electric, made in china at GE. i only wish, it was like a push button electric stove. this smart stove is dumb. keeps switching off an on, the burners, and takes awhile to do it. you can fool the burners by taking the pan off, to keep heat constant, then it aint in a particular heat range. just get one of these stoves,, if ya got money ta waste. flat surface on top of stove. has 5 burners under surface. i,e. electric stove, only ya got to get the heat to the surface, or through the surface. still the same coils, from long ago. flat surface stoves just waste heat.

i know the thing about leaving the oven door open to help with heat. why waste heat when ya need it.