fatcat

No spark 88 trx300fw

51 minutes ago, fatcat said:

The oil alarm is the only China part on the machine. The CDI and coil are both OEM. I will check the part number on the CDI. I have a used alarm coming today. 

there is your problem, china oil alarm unit !.

That’s what I’m hoping but everything I’m checking and hearing is that the oil alarm is separate from the ignition system? We’ll find out tonight. Hopefully the used unit from eBay isn’t fried!! Pat 

the electrical system on these models is pretty simple. stator, reg/rec, spark plug coil, pulse generator ( pick up coil ), c.d.i. is pretty much all you need to get spark on the spark plug. if all parts are oem ?, then most times you wont get spark if the '' kill switch '' on the handle bars is making contact inside the switch ?. this shorts spark straight to ground. be sure to check all the connections inside the black plastic box right under the handle bars !. if any of these wires are connected wrong ?, then you lose spark.

15 hours ago, retro said:

It sounds like you have power & grounds going to the wrong places, thats why I am asking about any china parts that might be installed on your bike?

Heres the lowdown to help you understand the consequences of possible china parts on your bike... Fact: Your bike has a DC-CDI ignition system in it.

• China ignition switches installed on early Honda ATVs are ALL made for AC-CDI ignition systems but are sold as being compatible for DC-CDI. They are not.. AC-CDI ignition systems SHORT the ignition primary voltage at the CDI output to the Ign coil, which fries OEM DC-CDIs.

• China CDIs sold for early Hondas are AC-CDI too, but are sold as being DC-CDI units. Again, if you plug one of those into a stock Honda electrical system stuff gets fried.

• China coil resistance is so low (on all china coils sold for all years/models) that the primary windings behave as being dead shorts to OEM CDIs and fries them quickly.

• Fact: There is not a single china part sold anywhere that is plug-in-compatible with any of the early Honda ATV models.

We need to be certain that there is not a single non-OEM part on your bike. Diagnosis and repair is easy once those suspicions have been put to rest. Hope this helps ya understand the urgency...

How quickly do the china parts fry the OEM parts. Hoping that if the China oil alarm is the issue I didn't fry the new OEM CDI while troubleshooting. 

22 minutes ago, fatcat said:

Here is s pic of the two OEM CDIs. New and original. The oil alarm (China) on the left. 

CD55E2EC-8DEE-4ADF-A83B-BE46D277FC84.jpeg

what is the numbers on the side of both c.d.i.'s ?, they should match, they are on the white connectors, 3 of them, something like HC4 or something like that ?, they must match !.

is this ---> 30410-HC4-003 the part number that you ordered for your new c.d.i. ?. this is for a 1988 trx300fw from rocky mountain atv I just looked up.

3 hours ago, fatcat said:

How quickly do the china parts fry the OEM parts.

It depends on the part that was plugged in. One fellah I helped on another site last year plugged in a china ignition switch and china coil and his brand new OEM CDI fried immediately. Other times OEM parts may not fry right away. But they eventually do...

• Sad 1

Well fellas, the oil alarm was the culprit for my constant oil light being on. Put on the replacement OEM and it goes out after a short period of time. After it went out I about danced a jig thinking I was going to have spark. It was suddenly stopped when I cranked her over and still no spark. Darn it......back to the drawing board. Pictured are the CDIs and oil alarm box. Pat 

F64336BC-46F1-4D9C-82AA-D7B7794FC24C.jpeg

522CD0B0-2471-42BF-90F1-97988262057B.jpeg

Kill switch checked? That's a very important step on these older machines. 

Yep, kill switch checked out good. Even went through and checked all the continuity for all the lights. Checked all the gear switches and oil sensor again. Gear switches are showing continuity when in or out of the correct gear. Oil sensor is trading real high. Think it’s shot, new one coming but that shouldn’t prevent spark though. Bout ready to take the lincoln for a drive and cool down. Ha ha. Happy Thanksgiving to all!! Pat 

• Like 1

Ignition key switch checked out good as well. Had to show you guys my lincoln. I went through some heartburn with her as well. Pat 

8CF7E349-6C70-4F51-AE0F-F51A81F6BF0B.jpeg

• Like 1

What your thoughts on changing out my mitsuba flywheel for this denso? I have a 12 pole stator in it now with the mitsuba flywheel. Thanks, Pat

8C2E4BDD-1868-4F74-B1FE-0FDB5951D087.jpeg

A15EB8AF-5513-4DF7-AFC2-59D1448446CC.jpeg

25016F86-EF03-4518-99BD-1C07190B0E7B.jpeg

have you checked the woodruff key on flywheel ?. all this dont add up too me. c.d.i. is new, kill switch checks good, spark plug coil ohm'ed out good ?, spark plug coil good clean ground ?. neutral light on when key is on ?. stator ohm'ed out good ?. pick up coil checked out good ?, did you try unscrewing spark plug cap, cut about 1/4 off wire, then screw back on ?.new spark plug ?, without spark plug boot on wire, cranked it over just wire to engine for spark ?.

too everyone watching this thread, spoke to fatcat, he's gonna check the woodruff key to see if it got sheared ?. he'll follow up Friday so he says :-).

Use the original flywheel in case the pulse generator air gap is too wide. You can check that easily enough though.

The flywheel must match the stator type regardless. So if you have a Mitsuba stator in it you must use a Mitsuba flywheel. Denso stator requires the Denso flywheel.

Just now, retro said:

Use the original flywheel in case the pulse generator air gap is too wide. You can check that easily enough though.

The flywheel must match the stator type regardless. So if you have a Mitsuba stator in it you must use a Mitsuba flywheel. Denso stator requires the Denso flywheel.

like I said on phone fatcat, ^^^^ he's right, they should match by all means.

If ya got a china stator in there ya might need a china flywheel to match. Just kidding! :classic_biggrin:

How do you tell which stator is which. I have the 12 pole in it now. Is it stamped on the stator? No China for me. The original owner did that crap!!😂 Thanks again for the call. Pat 

• Like 1

Just now, retro said:

If ya got a china stator in there ya might need a china flywheel to match. Just kidding! :classic_biggrin:

lol. i'm sure they make a china part !..lol. 

1 minute ago, fatcat said:

How do you tell which stator is which. I have the 12 pole in it now. Is it stamped on the stator? No China for me. The original owner did that crap!!😂 Thanks again for the call. Pat 

I dont remember if they are named stamped or not ?, i'd have to go out to my shop and look at this one I have already out to see if a name is stamped on it ?..lol.

I figured someone else did all that... I don't know which flywheel ya need to use cause I'm not up on the stator differences. Just put it back to stock OEM best ya can.

Woodruff key is good. I’m going to put the denso flywheel in it. Just not sure what the dude before me all did. He didn’t have many details except for his buddy was working on it.🤞🏻I’ll keep you all posted. Pat 

E52B4D02-BB80-4DF8-8C2B-3C65CA450587.jpeg