Andre125m

Drive chain

Hey shadetree hope all is well. I watched the YouTube video again and I guess he was using gear oil to lubricant the chain since its in closed. Question what should I use to keep the chain lubricated ?
Thanks

1 hour ago, Andre125m said:

Hey shadetree hope all is well. I watched the YouTube video again and I guess he was using gear oil to lubricant the chain since its in closed. Question what should I use to keep the chain lubricated ?
Thanks

gear oil works good, thick, sticks well. 80w-90 gear oil.

hi guys nothing at the moment i just brought a 1984 125m and wanted to do some maintenance on it. so i saw a youtube video and he was putting  oil into the chain housing.

Thanks

On 2/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Factory chain should be o-ring style.  https://www.motosport.com/blog/o-ring-chain-vs-non-o-ring

never seen an o-ring chain on atcs of this model ?. o-ring chains were very common on motorcycles and motocross , but not this model atc that I know of ?. i'm gonna look this up, and see what was sold on it way back then ?, I might not find anything though.

Continuous oring chains was common on a lot of the older 3 wheelers. I've broke a lot of them in the past and they was usually replaced with the cheaper non oring chain. Either chain inwould use chain lube on it. A can will last a long time and most are formulated to not attract particles as bad (dirt). That chain case isn't really sealed. I've came across some filled with grease in the past as well. You want to talk about a mess to clean out. 

8 hours ago, toodeep said:

Continuous oring chains was common on a lot of the older 3 wheelers. I've broke a lot of them in the past and they was usually replaced with the cheaper non oring chain. Either chain inwould use chain lube on it. A can will last a long time and most are formulated to not attract particles as bad (dirt). That chain case isn't really sealed. I've came across some filled with grease in the past as well. You want to talk about a mess to clean out. 

and what a pain those cases were to take off !!..lol. if the chain came off inside ?, your gonna have fun getting it back on with the cases in the way !..lol.

Welcome to the forum ---- One thing I learned when running bikes with chains , is keep up on the adjustment  ---- don't know about your 125M , but some models will eat a hole in the crankcase if the chain is ridden loose ---- some models have after market case protectors available  

• Like 1

[auote]some models will eat a hole in the crankcase if the chain is ridden loose[/quote]

^^^^^Came accross a that a fews times at little Johnny's. 

15 hours ago, shadetree said:

never seen an o-ring chain on atcs of this model ?. o-ring chains were very common on motorcycles and motocross , but not this model atc that I know of ?. i'm gonna look this up, and see what was sold on it way back then ?, I might not find anything though.

I haven't done any work on the TRX125's I've picked up yet, but did some nosing around online doing research on them.  Looks like these used Oring chains, but most of the replacement chains are non-oring.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1985/trx125-a-fourtrax-125/rear-wheel-axle-chain-case