jeepwm69

Clutch one way bearings

I think it's safe to assume that the cheap one way bearings are junk.  New Honda OEM is pushing $100.  Looks like Shindy makes one that's about $75.  Anyone try the Armor Tech?  They're known to make pretty good stuff.  Anyone try their one way bearings?

I have not. But I would swap a used sprag in rather than buy a china one.  Shindy is good if you can find them in stock somewhere.

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I think it's safe to assume that the cheap one way bearings are junk.  New Honda OEM is pushing $100.  Looks like Shindy makes one that's about $75.  Anyone try the Armor Tech?  They're known to make pretty good stuff.  Anyone try their one way bearings?

armor tech has been around for some time now, some of their products are ok, others ?..well..less to be desired !..lol. I've used some of their rear brake parts for trx300's, like the brake drum, brake drum cover, simple stuff. their batteries flat out suck ! ( no..i do not use them..but have seen my bud buy them ( you know of him )..and every one he's bought from armor tech always died !..lol ). honda has discontinued a lot of their one-way bearings lately, they already discontinued the clutch side on the trx350's ( old school ), still sell the starter side though !. here's a trick I learned many moons ago, that may or may not work for you ?. buy a good oem one-way bearing..say for the starter side ?, carefully take the lobes out of the old one-way bearing, PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE WAY THEY SIT/FACING WHEN YOU REMOVE THEM !!!!!!, now remove the new lobes from the new one-way bearing, again..PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE WAY THEY SIT/FACING WHEN YOU RMEOVE THEM !!!!. as you will see, they are backwards sitting in the cage..correct ?..simple fix, when you place the new lobes back into the old one -way cage, FLIP THEM AROUND !, if my memory is half as good as it was many moons ago ?, the lobes are all the same size ?, but the only difference is, they are sitting in the cage turned around ?, sooo..by flipping them, you just now made your bad one-way bearing all new again. if you ?, or any one tries this ?, please post back, and correct me if I am wrong ?, and if it can not be done ?, as I said..this was many moons ago, and not all atvs are the same !.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, retro said:

I have not. But I would swap a used sprag in rather than buy a china one.  Shindy is good if you can find them in stock somewhere.

I have some used ones, but how do you tell if they're good?  Obviously if they don't hold to hand pressure they're bad, but the last one I put in the kid's 350 Rancher passed the hand spin test but then didn't hold once it was in.

Most of the time the spring is stretched and/or you can see visible wear on the dogs when they are bad. Even then if it looks good your gambling on it being good.

• Like 1