Buckchop

New honda owner/builder

personally, i like the high lifter disk brake kit, cost more ?, but  worth it to me. not sure if you need the meter or not ?, you've already stepped outta bounds on the build !, i'd have to agree with toodeep, you do need the oil and neutral light, fab up any ignition switch, you should contact fish, he's got tons of trx450 parts, ( they are the same for the trx400fm ! ), give fish a pm, see if he can help you ? :-). it will be interesting to see how you connect the reverse and gear shift !?!.

• Like 1

My thought on the shifter would be a cable and arm like the rincon uses or rod and arm like the 01-14 Rubicon uses. You could have a lever beside the seat or rocker pedal on the floor to shift through the gears. Many options though, that would be a hands on design.

3 minutes ago, toodeep said:

My thought on the shifter would be a cable and arm like the rincon uses or rod and arm like the 01-14 Rubicon uses. You could have a lever beside the seat or rocker pedal on the floor to shift through the gears. Many options though, that would be a hands on design.

it deff will be a custom fab for sure. maybe angle the shift lever down, then link to it forward ?, something like they do on forward shift kits for motorcycles.

Ill wire in a aftermarket switch, i reall dont want the speedo so thats good news, already did all 3 of the lights it came with, been buildin stuff to b able to use factory honda stuff without modifing the honda parts, except the driveshaft and frame, hahahaaaa for the shifter i used solid linkage, and a bellcrank to make work, short automotive shift lever, and a piece of handlebar tube slippedmover shift lever and the original left side hand brake/reverse lever mounted there. B nice to pickup another handle to put on so not have to mod it all over again.  Starter making my own disc brake conversion lastnight,(polaris rmk donar parts) doing the frontend first, got rotors mounted up, need a few bolts/nuts, just need to make the caliper brakets now for the front. 

You know there is a really nice site for custom buggy builds , it is called Buggiesgonewild  , here is a link to the custom build section , you can go back a page and there are other sections like big block conversion and such , that will show custom shifter designs and other things which may get you thinking ------- http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/bike-atv-engine-swaps/

TooDeep , described my idea for the shifter on my buggy project , got the pieces together  , never assembled it  yet , a piece of the end of the handle bar with the brake lever that is already a reverse lock out , so you squeeze the lever and pull back on the handle bar shifter at the same time , one hand operation 

Well few more pic,  cant find any seats i like that fit worth a !, so decided to make some, here is start of one, and the front disc brake setup i came up with, should work out ok, and only cost about $20 in hardware. 

E6F7A6DA-9260-498B-B8A5-446897D5159E.jpeg

564CE201-0A47-4AA1-AD2A-9302827A3170.jpeg

BBB555C9-0CB0-4C11-B1F2-2237962F8502.jpeg

• Like 1

Well got a few more things done, seat frames with adjusters, rear firewall except for the rubber cover on bottom and left side for access to adjusting the ! linkage, tail/brake lights few other odds and ends.  Next will b to cut open the door area and make open/closing doors, im already tired of climbing over that top roll cage bar. Hahahaaaa 

D128F356-4EA6-4F62-9002-A03EB9FCA13C.jpeg

D228CB7A-1839-4777-93B0-521F692D7EB9.jpeg

4562959B-33DB-42EF-AAC6-D403682E91B0.jpeg

183672E9-89D6-4294-BC1D-2FF92A298683.jpeg

• Like 4

Very nice , clean work Buckchop , I like the disc conversion you built and the seat frames are over the top ..

Thanks Guys!!! Nice to let ur mind wonder and make stuff from what u have.  Alot of the idea here was to use up my stock of parts i have around and spend little amount of $ i can. Hahahaaaa here a few more pic, ill have a few more tonight, and im getting closer to a test ride now with seats to sit on. 

D1636FB7-D215-4527-B2DB-EC729597E84B.jpeg

502B34AE-6944-4B50-8178-FBAA5A748150.jpeg

E085CA1D-9814-4F54-8BE4-32A20E15A6FC.jpeg

• Like 3

Few more pic, Windsheild, Ect,   Im makin the rear hyd brake setup now out of some of the stock stuff, modified, and some parts from the original Yerf Dog 150 spider. 

4D446B03-F5FC-448E-884C-F4FD195044E3.jpeg

5CD52DF4-E008-4FE1-BCFE-A91ECDEC140A.jpeg

14C8EEF5-5430-432A-8FF3-23F878A62044.jpeg

Edited by Buckchop
  • Like 4

Thanks Shrade, im getting there just finished tack welding up the rear brakes, way easier than the front was, And not cause was just one not two.  Well off to finish weldin it all up and paint and mount up for good. 

017F06D1-FBBA-469E-BBCE-B9B783775888.jpeg

i'm waiting to see how bad that little trx400 motor is gonna strain to move this thing ??!!..lol.

Very nice work Buckchop , I like the flat black paint look ---- how's about a trailer hitch mod 

IMG_8221.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

i'm waiting to see how bad that little trx400 motor is gonna strain to move this thing ??!!..lol.

He could slap a 300 primary and clutch basket in there, give it a little gearing.

Shade i can agree with u there but as unbelivable as it may b, i can still pickup the front and rear of it so ill bet in the end its not alot more than stock, plan was light, cheap, 2 seats, and still go in bed of ur pickup, remember i cut out alot of stock stuff beside just adding stuff. Ill keep u posted on the weight of it. 

Fish i like that idea and may copy that also, but now u have another piece to rattle around makin noise, and mayb forget to bring with u, plenty of places to hook a strap to already and i have reciver mounts already on the front and back of buggy for a winch, or a drop hitch, 

Flat Black is great, helps hide some of the ugly, and easy to touchup. I usually always have a case of Flat, and Semi Gloss black and 7220 self-ecthing primer in the garage.  Hahahaaaaaaa 

Jeep, im super interested in that!!!! Think u said was a 14% reduction? Id buy what i need to swap that if u know where and what all id need. 

@Fishfiles is the one here who has done the GR's in a 450 (same bottom end as a 400). 

I think the 300 primary gear and clutch basket from a 300 swap right over.

You can put a 450 cylinder and piston on that 400 bottom end too for a few more CC's.  Probably not worth it unless you already need rings/top end.

Post 11 on this thread I mentioned how to do the 14.5% or 34.5% reductions , have one of each in my 2 450s 

On engine mods , I don't know much about the 400s , but heard they are the same as a 450 on the lower end , my 450 has a 500 sleeve and piston  in a 450 jug , with a 400 head on top , as the 400 head is exactly the same as the 450 , except the 400 has a smaller combustion chamber making it higher compression , it screams ---so in theory , you might be able to turn that 400 into a 500 

I have a screen shot of post 11 so i dont loose it, THANKS, where best place to pickup the redution parts needed? 

Well in doing the front firewall and running brakelines now, REALLY gettin close to a testdrive now, snowing this am so ill bet that will b done in the snow.  Hahahaaaa 

Interesting info on the 400 to 500 upgrade, probably think about doing that if i ever need to tear into the topend, it doesnt smoke as of yet, starts right up and idles sweet, but the top end sounds loose, could just need a valve adjustment, But now the way i built it not much fun gettin to the frontside of motor so mayb do a reduction and a topend if needed at sametime. Will c when time comes. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1