Copenhagenjonah

2015 Rubicon DCT/ES

Hey guys I’m new here came from the old Honda atv forum. I am currently trying to troubleshoot my combination meter. I’ve tested the 16p connector and the 33p connector and I’m getting voltage on the 16p connector but no continuity on the ground part of it. The same goes for the 33p. And I don’t even know where to start from there. Attached is a screenshot of an online owners manual. Any help is greatly appreciated on this as I just picked this four wheeler up this past Saturday. 

FE20B666-5202-4D1B-A4FC-51F83C27E2A6.jpeg

@Copenhagenjonah I moved your thread to the tech section so it can get the correct answers. If you want start a new member thread in the intro section and let the others get to know you.

First lets start with what issues your having with the machine and we can proceed from there.

7 minutes ago, toodeep said:

@Copenhagenjonah I moved your thread to the tech section so it can get the correct answers. If you want start a new member thread in the intro section and let the others get to know you.

First lets start with what issues your having with the machine and we can proceed from there.

Okay thanks, guy from previous forum told me to post here

Probably Shade, your in the correct place (forum) but it was the wrong section for tech talk. Anyway.... What issues are you having @Copenhagenjonah with the machine. I'm better at trying to solve a problem when I know what the problem is.

4 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Probably Shade, your in the correct place (forum) but it was the wrong section for tech talk. Anyway.... What issues are you having @Copenhagenjonah with the machine. I'm better at trying to solve a problem when I know what the problem is.

I know it’s hard to see but I have no gear indication, neutral diff lock reverse light and coolant temp all on. Starts and runs fine, just the combination meter is wacky 

0B7C802E-2D3B-47AE-8798-70054FBB86F1.jpeg

I'll get the paper manual out tomorrow and see if i can help. For me the paper is easier/faster to use than PDF. Any signs that this might have been used as a water machine by the previous owner? 

Okay, I read through the PDFS but they’re tough to decipher at times and the writing is small. As far as I know it wasn’t used as a water machine but I have no idea

There's plenty of cheap relays used in these new machines. i just need to look at the wiring diagram to see what goes where. I've come across other issues in the main harness but not this one yet so I'll learn with you.

hi ya copen, it was me that told ya to come over to sign up :-). most say a tad about themselves in the new member section, then post their model ( your in the right spot with this thread ! ) in the trouble section pertaining to their model. your in great hands here !.

Nice , very clean ....  looks like  it won't be long and you are going to need another smaller atv , nice pic 

• Like 2

Sorry if i missed it, but is the display going through self check/test? Showing all of the signs?

19 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Sorry if i missed it, but is the display going through self check/test? Showing all of the signs?

Yes, I turn the key on and it goes through it’s little display things it does and then the neutral indicator, reverse indicator, MIL indicator and coolant temperature all light up, I can engage the 4wd and diff lock and listen to it kick in but there is no indication that it is on in the combination meter. The gear indicator also flashes “-“ and the coolant gauge at the bottom of the cluster is “c- - - - - -h”

Welcome! I have a 2016 rubicon in red. Will be following for info on our model. Can't say I've had the same issue, can you cycle through gears regardless of the lack of indicator?

Machine looks pretty clean. I would almost think its has to be something unplugged or unhooked in the light cluster somewhere. Or a set of wires going to it. Tear it all down! I had the 2016 model for a little over 3 years, but never ran into anything like that. 😮 

Trx student, yes starts fine shifts through the gears fine. Just display isn’t working. I tore into it last night ATC but checked a few wires and something isn’t right 

AT the 16P your getting power to the black/red wire and the red/yellow wire correct? The solid green there is no ground signal correct? On the 33P black at the PCM what wire are you testing for ground?

Yes on the 16p you’re correct. And no continuity or ground I believe on the 33p but I’m not an atv mechanic but I know my way around mechanics on cars and trucks but as far as wire harnesses for four wheelers and all the fuel injection stuff I’m lost lol 

7 minutes ago, Copenhagenjonah said:

Yes on the 16p you’re correct. And no continuity or ground I believe on the 33p but I’m not an atv mechanic but I know my way around mechanics on cars and trucks but as far as wire harnesses for four wheelers and all the fuel injection stuff I’m lost lol 

lol, I pat myself on the back every single day when I ride my '89 trx350D foreman 4x4, it don't have all these stupid switches, relays, tps, O2 sensors crap !..lol.

I didn't see a ground wire on the 33P black is why I asked. The meter ground shares the connection with the tail/brake light and many other things so if everything else is working normally it should rule out a connection at the frame and at the joint connector. Easy test, run a jumper to the ground at the meter connection and see if things start working.