Bpike

2007 trx500fga electrical issue

I will explain the process I have been through, so that help may be appropriately administered. I say this b/c my problem is really one of the last I would expect. I have followed the service manual, which I will explain the steps I took.

First off getting a ESP shift error, 4 flashes (expected voltage from throttle position sensor not received)
Checked TPS, resistance of both tests are good.
I pulled the TPS off to do this, as I can see no way a guy could do this with the TPS installed if he didn’t have some sort of test plug.
Reinstalled the TPS, and set it by measuring the resistance up at the ECU plug (I could use pins and a multimeter up here to rotate the TPS to achieve the appropriate resistance at no throttle)
So next step, check voltage on the black/red at the TPS, 0 volts, OK now we are getting somewhere....
Now I am thinking, “crap, a bad ECU”, but then I follow the manual and check continuity between plug at the ECU and the plug at the TPS, zero continuity. This is really the last thing I would expect, but in any case this is the problem. I expect it is a bad/corroded connection/pin between the two plugs. So, I plan to check continuity from plug to plug until I find the problem. What path does this wire take? Where are the suspect plugs located? Wiring diagram shows Junction 2, is this a physical plug somewhere? Sorry for the very long post, but wanted to illustrate that I have made all the appropriate tests, and isolated the problem, just need help on where to look for plugs, so I don’t have to tear every piece off this thing to find them.

Also, the procedure for clearing the code, doesn’t work. I suspect it may not allow the clearing of the code when it immediately sees no voltage coming back from the TPS, since none is going to the TPS.

Does your have a sub harness going to the TPS? There is actually a recall (recalls are for the life of the machine until it is completed) for moisture in the harness going to the TPS. Moisture can travel from the front brake lever down to the TPS. If this has never been done you possibly could have a free fix coming (I can run the vin if you message me it). With a moisture issue it can corrode a wire anywhere in the harness or wiring. I have to admit I would have to look at the wiring diagram to see if this could be an issue but it's a place to start.

• Like 1

Yep, have toodeep run the vin.  On the one I ran into this problem on, the recall had been done, but the sub-harness that the recall sticks in there was bad, so when I reconnected the main harness directly to the TPS, the error code went away.

When I looked at the sub-harness, one of the connectors looked like it had burn marks on it.