Outnback

Pioneer 700-4D Storage Box

I needed more storage room and wanted to install a second battery in my 2018 Pioneer 700-4. I removed the seat tray and driver's side cover to expose the area under the seat.

IMG_1664.jpg

I constructed an aluminum box to fit within the area. The box measured 9" x 9" x 16" with a 1" lip on the inboard side. A notch had to be cut on the inboard side and lip to clear the factory Oil Fill tube mounts. I flipped the Oil Fill tube to the other side of it's original mount to gain more room. I installed a heat reflective cover on the rubber oil fill tube to protect it from excessive engine heat.

IMG_1666.jpg

A short piece of 1" aluminum angle was mounted inside of the box to secure the bottom of the battery from sliding. I salvaged an old boat battery strap to hold the battery upright. In addition, the left front corner of the box was cut at a 45* angle to match the curvature of the seat. This angle was adjusted to meet the width of the battery. The lip on the top of the box was bolted under the seat brace on the inboard side with 2 bolts. To secure the box to the lower frame, another piece of aluminum was bent into an "L" shape 7" tall with a 2" base. The box was then leveled and secured on the outer side using the 7" x 2" L bracket and 2 more bolts. Two "U" bolts secure the "L" bracket to the frame. 

IMG_1669.jpg

There is still an ample air gap between the box and the engine/exhaust. I insulated the outside of the box, by the exhaust, with insulated self stick matting to reduce engine heat. So far, excessive heat build up isn't a problem.

IMG_1674.jpg

In addition, I surrounded the battery with rubber belting to prevent electrical problems and any damage. I'll post the electrical hookup in a future post.

IMG_1674.jpg

Edited by Outnback
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A clean build and install. A second battery on these are about a must if you want to do more than just start the machine.  

My dad would love that in his pioneer 1000, he's been talking about adding a extra battery since he keeps adding electrical stuff 🤣

Great job clean install!

Great looking box. Great looking fabrication too!