Big Bird

Brake maintenance

What is everyone doing as far as maintenance on their brakes? If any. OR do you just drive it like you stole it? LOL I plan on taking mine apart as I just got it and do a once over.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Main thing is just adjusting them and freeing up the seized parts when needed. 

I don't do much with brakes once I've torn everything down to lube all of the moving parts. I do change the brake fluid every spring though.

I take the drain plug out my rear brake drum every so often to make sure water didn’t get in. I got disc in the front so no maintenance there.

i am with toodeep on this one, i dont touch my brakes until they break down !..lol. other than flushing the brake fluid, noticing brake shoe wear ?, i leave them alone.

I basically do all of the above ..... Just a note it's a good idea to grease those drum seals 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I basically do all of the above ..... Just a note it's a good idea to grease those drum seals 

image.jpg

wrong !!!!!. if ya read the service manual ?, it tells ya to run a bead of WATER ! around the seal lip ?, odd, yes, reason : grease can work its way to brake shoes !.

My service manual says to put grease in those drum seals. My bike came from the factory with grease on them too. I think you got some bad info about adding water to them. Think about it....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, retro said:

My service manual says to put grease in those drum seals. My bike came from the factory with grease on them too. I think you got some bad info about adding water to them. Think about it....

my service manual for my '89 says water..sooooo..dont know what to tell ya ??

The service manual is obviously wrong about water. I am surprised that no one has ever pointed that error out before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, retro said:

The service manual is obviously wrong about water. I am surprised that no one has ever pointed that error out before.

13-6 in the service manual, honda get it wrong ??..lol.

Holy cow of course thats wrong. All rubber lipped seals on rotational parts must be lubricated. You didn't know that...?

This is from the brakes section (page 12-20) in the1988-1994 service manual:

drum-seal-grease.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, retro said:

Holy cow of course thats wrong. All rubber lipped seals on rotational parts must be lubricated. You didn't know that...?

This is from the brakes section (page 12-20) in the1988-1994 service manual:

drum-seal-grease.png

rancher ???..cuz thats not what it says in my trx350 service manual 13-6.

retro, look at 13-6, tell me what it shows in the pic. it says water..sooo..i dont know..don't care..lol.

He is not working on a TRX350 far as I know? And the service manual for the TRX350 is not in error... here is pages 13-6/13-7 containing the drum seal grease recommendation:

brake-drum-lube.png

• Thanks 1

Yeah you use water as lube to press a new seal onto the drum, then pack the lips full of grease when the drum is installed. Every Honda manual reads the same.

• Like 3

Man I am so glad I don’t have to deal with drum breaks anymore. Way too much maintenance and parts to deal with especially since I have a river running through my property and I need to cross it all the time so keeping the water out of drums was a pain in A..  Disc breaks are so much better in every way, only maintenance is new pads when needed.  

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies. I downloaded the repair manual. I used my work printer. LOL. I will 3 hole punch it this week and put it in a nice binder.

• Like 1

Now you'll got me all confused , I been using  water ..... to wash off my disc conversion brake pads after every trip , should I use grease in the future , dahhhhh !!!!   Convert !!!! LOL