ACES

2008 Honda Rancher 420 cooling issues

Last year, I had several overheating issues, even after replacing several parts, but winter came, and I really only used it on short rides in the snow, and I never had any issues. Well a couple of weeks ago, a hose to the radiator sprung a leak, so I ordered a new hose. When I went to replace it today, I found that the hose was shorter than what was on the ATV. So I looked up a picture of a stock radiator, and found that the connection on the stock is in a different place than what I have. I suspect that mine was wrecked at some point in its life and replaced with something else. Also the fan looks different than what I see in the manual. I've never heard the fan come on by itself, but when I run wires directly from the battery to it, it turns on.

Thinking about getting a stock radiator and fan off ebay and seeing if that solves the issues. The pic with the fan attached is my current setup that I think is wrong.  The other 2 are what I am thinking of picking up off ebay.

Big Thanks to Shadetree for sending me over here!!

38BEFABE-BF9A-4E07-8C34-4D5303192743.jpeg

4688FAD7-0BEB-48F3-BFC5-B1A9EBB7CD30.jpeg

60D22069-0FB0-43C9-81FD-8F2861982975.jpeg

• Like 1

welcome, bottom rad is correct, sec pic of fan is correct. please make a post in the new member section, tell us a tad about yourself :-). glad ya joined us !.

15 minutes ago, ACES said:

Last year, I had several overheating issues, even after replacing several parts, but winter came, and I really only used it on short rides in the snow, and I never had any issues. Well a couple of weeks ago, a hose to the radiator sprung a leak, so I ordered a new hose. When I went to replace it today, I found that the hose was shorter than what was on the ATV. So I looked up a picture of a stock radiator, and found that the connection on the stock is in a different place than what I have. I suspect that mine was wrecked at some point in its life and replaced with something else. Also the fan looks different than what I see in the manual. I've never heard the fan come on by itself, but when I run wires directly from the battery to it, it turns on.

Thinking about getting a stock radiator and fan off ebay and seeing if that solves the issues. The pic with the fan attached is my current setup that I think is wrong.  The other 2 are what I am thinking of picking up off ebay.

Big Thanks to Shadetree for sending me over here!!

38BEFABE-BF9A-4E07-8C34-4D5303192743.jpeg

4688FAD7-0BEB-48F3-BFC5-B1A9EBB7CD30.jpeg

60D22069-0FB0-43C9-81FD-8F2861982975.jpeg

lol..yw, nice to have ya here !!! :-).

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

welcome, bottom rad is correct, sec pic of fan is correct. please make a post in the new member section, tell us a tad about yourself :-). glad ya joined us !.

Done!

Thanks for having me!

• Like 1

Top one kind of looks like a 05-14 500 Rubicon radiator and fan (that has been painted). The front side would have 4 bolt holes for the oil cooler if it is. The rincon has a very similar setup also. 

If your fan isnt coming on that is a issue. Check fuses first. 

I've checked the fuses, and they all look fine.  I'm wondering if the Rubicon fan needs more power than what the Rancher fan does.  The wires do look slightly thicker on the fan, than my wiring harness.

I went ahead and ordered the ebay parts.   Trying to think if there are any other odds and ends that I need.     I don't have any rubber radiator mounts, so I'm going to get 2 of those  (part #10).   I also am missing parts number 7 and 6, but as far as I can tell, they don't seem necessary.  Would you guys get them?

image.png

The screen (6) will help keep seeds and thicker mud out of the radiator. 7 is more like a spacer to keep everything spaced.  Depends on the situation if you "need" them or not. 

i would deff get number # 6 for sure !. better to keep crap out of the rad fins. not sure about # 7  though ?, if they are cheap ?, get them !.

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I might wait on those until after I get it running/cooling right.