Started tear down #2. Im going to rebuild the top end, Pull the gas tank and try to fix the sending unit. Im taking my time and cleaning it up as i tear it down. Pictures soon. Im going to work on it all day today and let you guys know where im at. Its hard for me to park it again after how much work I've already put in. But i know i can get it working even better and i can drive the 200sx. Lol it was a weird change going from driving the foreman everyday to the little 200. I forgot how fun that bike is.. and fast!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

pic's..or it did not happen !..lol.

O its happening. Had to help with the farrier all morinig so im just getting started now. Got the top rack off in the front and decided to peel off what remained of that big sticker. Once that was off i realized now there is one clean and shiny spot. Thats no good so i used some rubbing compound and cleaned it all up

1583179056379-891498940.jpg

Slow and steady pressure on the 4 long bolts on the right/middle until they break loose.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Slow and steady pressure on the 4 long bolts on the right/middle until they break loose.

Thanks for the tip. Im going to do a little more research before i start. I got cold aniway. I did download the service manual, thanks for reminding me. I guess i just didnt think my tablet supported pdf so i never tried. So ill read up on that while i warm up. By the way another small part i need if you have it is the exaust pipe heat shield. I know i can find them online pretty easy but as long as your getting a box ready to send me we'll fill it up.

Hmm so i just identifyed one of my spare parts as an 86 fourtrax 350 engine breather box which is going to make me believe all my spair parts are for that year. I just noticed in the service manual my year just has a t junction, not a box. I wonder why? And would the box fit on my foreman? Do you guys think there would be any advantage to the box vs the T? One last thing i sapose the extra bottom end i have is also an 86. Is there aniway to check? And will i be able to use it on my 87 if i need to?

If I recall correctly the 86 and really early 87's had an extra crankcase vent on them that was eliminated on the later models.  I don't think there's any advantage or disadvantage either way unless you're building a water bike/ boat, in which case the non box version would allow for fewer places for water to get into your motor.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

If I recall correctly the 86 and really early 87's had an extra crankcase vent on them that was eliminated on the later models.  I don't think there's any advantage or disadvantage either way unless you're building a water bike/ boat, in which case the non box version would allow for fewer places for water to get into your motor.

What about the extra bottom end i have. If that is an 86 can i still use it on my 87? 

Are you sure yours is an 87 350D and not a 350A?  (the sticker on the front of the frame will tell you).

It's is a 350A, then yes.  If it's a 350D, then the hard parts will interchange, but the electrical bits won't, so I think you'd need a stator from another 87 350d to swap into your extra motor to have a spare that would swap right in.

@retro or one of the other electrical experts might prove that wrong, but that's how I understand it.

There were three different, non-interchangeable electrical systems on the old 350's.

86-87 350A Fourtrax was one (all stuff interchanges)

87 350D was a second (one year only oddball electrical system)

88-up 350D was a third

Edited to add, dangit!  Retro beat me to it!

• Like 2

The 86 350 will have an AC-CDI exciter coil stator on it (DC-CDI non exciter coil stator on the 87 350D) and the left side cover and starter reduction gears and cover differ from the 87 350D. Other than those differences (you'd need to swap parts over) the motors are the same.

• Like 2

^^^^ We both posted the same info within 1 second of each other. haha... :-)

• Haha 2

Lol thats great news, i dont have a "complete" bottom end. So my parts will all work. I just took it from the shop, go 200sx, and saw that is starting to rust a little. How can i store it better to stop that?

1583189103744-891498940.jpg

15831891342381967766646.jpg

1583189184932-1476174880.jpg

Coating the parts in oil or grease will help a lot. Store them up on a shelf off of the damp floor in paper sacks inside cardboard boxes or something. A gun cleaning solvent might help with small areas where rust is beginning to form... dunno for sure but it might buy ya some time.

• Like 1

Easiest thing I can think of to spray a coating on stuff would be a can of chain lube.  Then put a plastic tub or something to contain the seepage of lube. 

I'll look and see if I have a good heat shield. 

• Like 2

I like your chain lube idea the most. 🙂

By the way it is the odd ball one year 87 trx350d. i chose it knowing the eletrical system was a pain but at the same time (as far as i understand) it is the only year that can run with no battery. Not saying thats what i do but if the battery dies i can still start and run the bike. I like those kinds of little perks, the emergency kind

Edited by RanchHand420

geee..after looking this project over ^^^ ?, now i don't feel so bad having to rip my running motor all back apart !..lol. you have your hands full bro !!.

10 hours ago, shadetree said:

geee..after looking this project over ^^^ ?, now i don't feel so bad having to rip my running motor all back apart !..lol. you have your hands full bro !!.

I may have gotten hosed a little. Its been a huge project. So far ive replaced the front swingarm bearings, bolts, and shocks. Which wasnt easy cuz of how much damage had been done to the threads on the frame, not to mention that shifter being welded lol. Had it going for a bit than the rear end went out, soo, new wheel bearings, axle, and i rebuilt the breaks while i was at it. Rebuilt the choke and i got some of plastics i needed/wanted for the front being my fenders are in ok condition. I figured out why stuff was so confusing for wiring up the starter. I dont hav an oem starter solenoid. Lol i have no idea what mine is from but i got it all working good now. The great news is i kinda may have beaten it pretty hard in the snow a few days ago before i parked it and nothing went wrong. That gives me hope that ive got this thing on the run. 

Ps. I did what you told me and played with the sending unit. When i pulled it way up all the lights came on. So i know the wireing and the gauge itself is good, and hopefully i can clean up the sending unit with braso and a toothbrush and get that working. I think im going to do that today, i need locktight or whatever its called for the head cover aniway. Ill post pics once i get the tank off. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RanchHand420 said:

By the way it is the odd ball one year 87 trx350d. i chose it knowing the eletrical system was a pain but at the same time (as far as i understand) it is the only year that can run with no battery. Not saying thats what i do but if the battery dies i can still start and run the bike. I like those kinds of little perks, the emergency kind

The 86 & 87 TRX350A have the AC-CDI ignition system so those start and run independent from the battery apart from the fuel pump. All of the TRX350D models have DC-CDI ignition systems so those require a battery be installed to start and run.

10 minutes ago, RanchHand420 said:

i need locktight or whatever its called for the head cover aniway.

Hondabond 2, Yamabond 2 or Permatex Ultra-Grey gasket maker. A thin film applied onto a clean, dry surface (prep with alcohol or other solvent to remove oil films) is all that is required. Spread thin films on those clean copper washers under the center bolts too.

• Like 2

No progress today except i decided to put the sending unit on hold and just fix the oil leak. Had to go gather firewood for the boiler, and got caught up in making beef jerky. Now the day is shot.

• Haha 1

How's that ADD treating you Ranch?  LOL

My wife knows if I go to take the trash out I'll end up pulling weeds or swapping out a starter in my truck before I get back to the house.  I'm easily distracted.

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, jeepwm69 said:

How's that ADD treating you Ranch?  LOL

My wife knows if I go to take the trash out I'll end up pulling weeds or swapping out a starter in my truck before I get back to the house.  I'm easily distracted.

Yup sometimes its a gift and sometimes its a curse. So i did work on it last night. I got my valve covers off, cleaned up, and looked through my parts bin and found two covers with good o rings. Than just for fun i started the engine to see how much less oil ended up on the fins. Better but still gotta take the head cover off, so i let the engine warm up and quickly cracked loose all the bolts. Im pretty darn happy none of the bolts broke.

But i got a question.. the service manual is throwing me off a little. It says that i need to loosen the valve adjusting screw which i dont think i need to do, and i would rather not, and it also says to take the carb off, which dosnt make sense. So im guessing some of those steps intertwine with taking the head off. I got all the bolts loose so i should be able to just lift the cover off right?.

do not use that permatex !!!..only hondabond or yamabond for the rocker box !!.

• Like 1