58 minutes ago, shadetree said:

do not use that permatex !!!..only hondabond or yamabond for the rocker box !!.

O mannnn.. thats what the auto store had. It says not recommended for parts in contact with gasoline but im not redoing the head, just the head cover. 

The headcover will just pull off after the bolts are removed.  That stuff can work to seal it but I cringe everytime I see it on a motor.  I only use hondabond ht on the motors. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, toodeep said:

The headcover will just pull off after the bolts are removed.  That stuff can work to seal it but I cringe everytime I see it on a motor.  I only use hondabond ht on the motors. 

Lol one minute late. I maned up and gave it a tug and it came right off. I think im just going to send it and put it back together with the ultra copper.. if something happens later it will be the push i need for a top down overhaul. Wish me luck

1583600875467-1610232696.jpg

A thin coating is all it takes to seal it up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RanchHand420 said:

Lol one minute late. I maned up and gave it a tug and it came right off. I think im just going to send it and put it back together with the ultra copper.. if something happens later it will be the push i need for a top down overhaul. Wish me luck

1583600875467-1610232696.jpg

if you use that stupid permatex, your gonna be doing more than just a top end over haul !!. you have been warned !!!!!.

i just dont get it, members join, ask for expert advice, we give ya'll the best info you will ever locate online, we tell ya HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE ?, YET...YOU DO NOT LISTEN ?, its crap like this that makes me not want to help ppl !. whatever..i'm done with this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i just dont get it, members join, ask for expert advice, we give ya'll the best info you will ever locate online, we tell ya HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE ?, YET...YOU DO NOT LISTEN ?, its crap like this that makes me not want to help ppl !. whatever..i'm done with this.

i used permatex where the shifter housing is. no oil or gas gets in there. only outside water. i think its safe to use there. i got the es that ya hate. i got ta use it though, left foot is shot.

14 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

i used permatex where the shifter housing is. no oil or gas gets in there. only outside water. i think its safe to use there. i got the es that ya hate. i got ta use it though, left foot is shot.

no rtv sealant ( permatex wise ! ) SHOULD EVER BE USED ON AN ATV ENGINE !!!. it does not have it on it when it leaves the factory ?, and it dang sure should not have it on it when working on it !.

• Like 1

Well, you'd be wrong to use it... Shade is right! How many bike have you re freshed from the ground up ?? 

I'm not a permatex fan either but how is it going to cause all of this damage? If used correctly just like you would with Honda bond it's a high temp rtv sealant needed to seal the cover. I could see if someone puts a thick bead of it and the excess gets in the motor plugging stuff but that would have the same result with hondabond.  

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

I'm not a permatex fan either but how is it going to cause all of this damage? If used correctly just like you would with Honda bond it's a high temp rtv sealant needed to seal the cover. I could see if someone puts a thick bead of it and the excess gets in the motor plugging stuff but that would have the same result with hondabond.  

how ?. simple: it does harden over time, when it does, it breaks off, falls into the engine ( in this case, from the top down ) once its inside the engine ?, it heads straight for the oil pump, oil galleys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

permatex hardens over time, yamabond and hondabond does not ever get hard.

• Like 1

I can agree on if it's not properly used the excess will eventually harden and do that, even hondabond does that though.  I fix others "fixes" too. That small piece of overly used hondabond can lock up an pull pump in no time. 

I've also been in situations where I had to use what was available to get the job done in my time frame. You can make not as good stuff work if the job is done correctly. 

3 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I can agree on if it's not properly used the excess will eventually harden and do that, even hondabond does that though.  I fix others "fixes" too. That small piece of overly used hondabond can lock up an pull pump in no time. 

I've also been in situations where I had to use what was available to get the job done in my time frame. You can make not as good stuff work if the job is done correctly. 

i will agree, if used very lightly ?, then it could be ok ?, but from looking at his pics ^^...ehhhh...lol. dont look like it was put on lightly..lol. i use yamabond, and it never cures on me.

It takes time but they all harden with age and heat. As I understand it this is a temp fix anyway so he should be fine. 

I have been using silicone gasket maker for decades and I use it on ATVs too, where it is appropriate to do so. Its not the type of sealer that you must fear fellahs... it is the person who applies it that should be feared.

A general rule of thumb when applying any type of sealer (Yamabond included) is:

If you can see it squeezing out anywhere along the surface that you just prepared... you have used WAY too much of it.

Remove those parts, clean them up and try again.

A thin film of sealer is all that is required to provide a perfect seal. In case you're wondering about my definition of a "thin film":

A thin film is almost invisible once applied properly.

He's back together and put the machine back to work again. Successful fix and no more oil leaks.

• Like 1

If you look a that tappet cover mating side you’ll see a rubber gasket—at least my 86s have gaskets—to my knowledge you should not need a sealant.

22 hours ago, Goober said:

If you look a that tappet cover mating side you’ll see a rubber gasket—at least my 86s have gaskets—to my knowledge you should not need a sealant.

I have extra covers with good o rings i instaled. No leaks except the decompression oil seal but its very minor. yesterday I ran a tank of gas full throttle through sloppy snow/mud then before i put it away i also dragged the indoor horse arena. After all that the fan kicked on for the first time since ive had it. Lol only for a short time, i cant believe how tough this bike is. If i had drove the Polaris big boss 800 6x6 half as hard as my foreman yesterday, it would be dead.

• Like 2

Hi everybody! Hope yall have had a good summer so far! I know once i disconnected frome facebook and stoped watching the news ive felt much better. But i thought i would turn my tablet on and share some photos on here.

• Like 2

The new seat cover is from my old favorite recliner we through out. I riped out the gas tank and refabed the sending unit, i got 6 out of 7 lights when full. Good enough for me. Grinded off that ugly tacked on ring that was on the front bumper and sanded and painted the front rack and bumper, replaced the grips from a vintage pettle bike and covered the battery box with some of the same leather used for the seat.