I would line it up to the center of the hole the best you can. Its not gunna be far enough off when eyeballing it centered to hurt anything. I just had to make my own mark on my quad since the place that lightened my flywheel wasnt nice enough to put it back after removing the place my F and T line were.

Just now, SlammedRanger said:

I would line it up to the center of the hole the best you can. Its not gunna be far enough off when eyeballing it centered to hurt anything. I just had to make my own mark on my quad since the place that lightened my flywheel wasnt nice enough to put it back after removing the place my F and T line were.

Thank you for your input that was what I was wondering if that is what I should do if it would hurt anything to be just a tad off or not this is my first fuel-injected Honda every other Honda I've had has been carbureted

Well saying the line on the flywheel is in the correct spot. And being that it would appear you got a friday build on your hands.....there no way to know 100% sure. We do know 100% sure they goofed on the placement of the line down the threads. But for future reference the motor on a carb model and FI model will be dang near identical. Just a few more sensors is all. Timing will be the same for sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Well saying the line on the flywheel is in the correct spot. And being that it would appear you got a friday build on your hands.....there no way to know 100% sure. We do know 100% sure they goofed on the placement of the line down the threads. But for future reference the motor on a carb model and FI model will be dang near identical. Just a few more sensors is all. Timing will be the same for sure.

It says in the service manual 73psi mine is 95psi is that good compression or to much?

Compression is very tough to be exact. Oddly enough the general rule of thumb is 100psi your good enough to run on. But the auto decompression on alot of engines out now will have an effect on that number. But if you battery was maybe alittle week or drained it could maybe not activate the auto decompression right and make it do some crazy things also. You also want to hold the throttle wide open when doing the test and with a fuel injected bike pull the fuel pump relay or fuse so it cant pump fuel in there cuz again that can have an effect on compression numbers. Alot of factors involved as you can see.

• Like 1

Was the compression test before the top end overhaul? A little background info on the machine might help us getting you going in the correct direction. 

3 hours ago, Rancher-mudd-junkie said:

20200302_173043~2.jpg

can you get a close up shot, angle in the thread hole, i can't see the threads in the hole. i've never seen the notch where you say it is.

You can zoom in better on mobile. This is the best I can do and it looks like a ledge at the bottom kind of. Some other machines just say line it up in the middle so that's what I would recommend.  I very seldom use the timing marks, do everything off of the piston.  

Screenshot_20200304-203729_Chrome.jpg

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

can you get a close up shot, angle in the thread hole, i can't see the threads in the hole. i've never seen the notch where you say it is.

In his picture he is literally pointing a giant white arrow at the slot. You can see the black notch. That is the slot from the top view. Get out your bi-focals old timer! LoL

1 minute ago, toodeep said:

You can zoom in better on mobile. This is the best I can do and it looks like a ledge at the bottom kind of. Some other machines just say line it up in the middle so that's what I would recommend.  I very seldom use the timing marks, do everything off of the piston.  

Screenshot_20200304-203729_Chrome.jpg

yeah..thats a first !!!..lol. 28 yrs of wrenching, and i've never seen anything like this !!..lol.

2 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

In his picture he is literally pointing a giant white arrow at the slot. You can see the black notch. That is the slot from the top view.

toodeep blew it up, very odd to say the least !.

The one advantage of using mobile over desktop, you can zoom in on photos better. With the quality of workmanship in these newer machines, nothing surprises me with screw ups. 

A lot better pics of it and just ignore the f up honda made. Line it up in the center of the hole.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Rancher-mudd-junkie said:

IMG_0478.JPG

omg..yep..your right !. yeah, just put the T mark ( line under the T ) in the center of the hole, adjust the valves, yu'll be fine :-). i wonder how many they did on this production run like this ?, i would call honda corp, send them this pic, and ask them HOW THE HECK DO YOU SET THE VALVES WHEN THE TIMING MARK IS IN THE WRONG PLACE ???!!..LOL.

• Like 2

Could that be a metal sleeve that's spun in the case?  Perhaps from trying to over tighten the plug, or loosening the plug that was previously over tightened?  I thought it was just threads cut in the case, but that just doesn't make sense how that could have possibly happened.

Program got off during manufacturing. It might be common, like I said I very seldom look at them and never look for that notch.

I would check my valve lash again. If they are loose just a little it can give you slightly higher compression numbers. Higher compression is hard on the battery, starter, solenoid and some of the wiring.