AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

I just finished repairing a speedometer display with heavy sun UV burnout for our member LedFTed this morning

I wanted to show results of UV damage repair, other than the reprogramming that I do

Before and after pics below-

my phone reflection in 2nd picture- not screen defect .....😊

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Wow very nice work, bet you can drum up some speedo's to spruce up around here....

Very nice work AKATV!

My 20 year old 450 still looks good.  I've only had it less than 2 years but always garage kept with me.  It looks like it must not have been out in the elements too much where she spent her other 18 years either, still bright and clear.... 

• Like 2

WOW, I tried a repair job this past fall, and the screen looks exactly the way it did before. So clearly I don't know what I'm doing. Do you live close to LedFTed? or did he mail it in?

Nice job, looks like new, and I bet alot cheaper than ordering a new one from Honda

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRX Student said:

WOW, I tried a repair job this past fall, and the screen looks exactly the way it did before. So clearly I don't know what I'm doing. Do you live close to LedFTed? or did he mail it in?

LedFTed PM'd me with his problem and just mailed it to me, I not close to anbody unless you live in Alaska haha

The biggest thing  is you dont have to send the whole speedometer in, just the circuit card in the pictures. It only costs 5 bucks or so First Class Mail that way

Thanks everyone for the comments, glad to help where I can

I recently found out some dissapointing news when attemping repairs on an other speedometer I had laying around for Rancher 400AT with "GPScape" (corny name, never liked it)

If your Speedometer has images on it when its turned off, like the Rubicon, Foreman 500, Rancher 400 etc.... those are printed directly onto the front polarizing film

When that film gets sun damaged and burnt there is no replacing it to original, as those films are created at the factory. 

You could replace the film and would have the LCD data show as normal but all the writing such as "fuel" and dividing lines for the sections, etc would not be there

Best keep 'em covered up when not in use

PS Anybody got a good Speedo glass for Rancher 400 w/GPScape? ............................................................................See my point?

• Like 4

How many miles do YOU all got on your Foreman 450S?

Put some miles on mine this Season.................

Man these Honda ATVs last  FOR-EV-ER

IMG_5258.JPG

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

(just kidding it was sent into to me for reprogramming)

This is what happens to your speedometer milage and hours when you run without a battery or let it go dead -( which is really hard on your stator and voltage reg too)

This is actually a 450ES-notice the gear position area is missing, which is common as well

sometimes the miles and hours go to all 999999999.s or mising also

FYI-  I have a new EEPROM file for the Foreman 450ES that I can load

It is 942mi and 109hrs, if that is closer to your original speedometer reading

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 4

Foreman 450S

Do you repair the circuit board as well? I have some rusty resistors and corroded capacitors on mine. As well as the bad film on the screen. How much would you charge for that repair?

• Like 1

Hi Minty,

Is the board functional at all?

I do circuit board repair as well, I would think it would depend on what was bad and if the board was repairable

Send me a few pics of your circuit board or if you want to message me directly, I will give you my phone number to text, if thats easier

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

I haven't had the chance of checking if anything works, as the atv doesn't run yet and the film was so badly pealed I thought the inner screen was melted (thats what it looked like). Took it apart and it looks okay to me, just the corrosion on some metal pieces. A new one is 150-210 bucks so I'd much rather you refurbish it if possible. The green middle LED did turn on briefly when i turned on the ignition.

I sent you a contact message so you can contact/ text me directly about getting it repaired

Thanks

I got mine back yesterday and popped it on this morning.  It was gone a grand total of 8 days from south Mississippi to Alaska and back. Before and after or vice versa pics below. 02 rancher 4x4 ES

80C4491B-16A3-4F22-AC33-D38556241895.jpeg

F54CD03B-1896-4D37-A043-4D88A2436A4D.jpeg

430DAEDE-6643-4B6A-A929-B2D9493C97B7.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 3

Slowindown, i know you're a happy camper now. I am, i just had mine done about a month ago... it still look great. Derf

One thing to think of when getting your dash pod reprogramed with a different mileage and hours , is if your atv  had a lot less hours and miles , then you are lessening the valve of your atv when you go to sell it , I know you can tell the potential buyer that it was done , but will they really believe that ----  so if you take a big hit on the sale end , wouldn't it be better to just buy a new pod if it is still available for your model , unless you plan on never selling it 

My pod is clouded up in the screen on my 2002 450FM   , was thinking about getting the screen  redone ,  but I don't think there is much I am missing , the speedo doesn't work  , it has gear reduction and the front diff has been modified from electric engage  to a non-electric diff with a 424 , so both speed sensors are not functioning -- is there anything else that  the screen does 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

One thing to think of when getting your dash pod reprogramed with a different mileage and hours , is if your atv  had a lot less hours and miles , then you are lessening the valve of your atv when you go to sell it , I know you can tell the potential buyer that it was done , but will they really believe that ----  so if you take a big hit on the sale end , wouldn't it be better to just buy a new pod if it is still available for your model , unless you plan on never selling it 

My pod is clouded up in the screen on my 2002 450FM   , was thinking about getting the screen  redone ,  but I don't think there is much I am missing , the speedo doesn't work  , it has gear reduction and the front diff has been modified from electric engage  to a non-electric diff with a 424 , so both speed sensors are not functioning -- is there anything else that  the screen does 

other than keep up with hours/miles, time ?, no, it does nothing but show you what gear your in. unless your using the oem factory settings like the neutral light, oil light, and the 4x4 light ?, i see it does nothing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Just a note on the the speedometer reprogramming and display repairs that I do

I now have various milage/hours combinations to fit various owners rough estimates if their data is gone, ranging from 700 miles to 26,000 (lol)

If you look at slowindowns repair above that came in for sunburned dispaly/UV damage, his data (miles, hours and gear readout)  was intact, and wanted to keep his

original mileage at 4091 miles and 612.3 hours, as he has owned his ATV since new and wanted to keep it correct

I repair these meters more as a hobby to to help fellow riders get their machines working properly and not to increase value for a sale

If anyone wants lower mileage to flip a machine I tell them they can buy a new or used meter for that purpose, if you can find one

Seeing a brand new meter, or 28 miles and 2 hours on a 20+ year old machine for sale gets me wondering anyways ......

Unless its been a full-on restoration (Shadetree) or sat in barn its whole life, both of which are a rare find these days, but you never know

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Also, just a note on speedometer function-

On the older 98-04 Foreman 450 and 00-03 Rancher 350 ( and I assume the 04-06)

The speedometers on these models only receive inputs for speed, gear selection and the led lights

They have no output to the ECM or any other sensors on the machine and they can be completly removed

with no impact on the performance or function of your machine

Many users continue to ride their machine while I have their speedometers in my possesion for repair, the ES functions the the same without it and the only

downfall for some, is not having neutral light to show neutral position for starting.

So, if for whatever reason you speedometer is not functioning or all busted up, you can just remove it with no issue (I'll even give you 20 bucks for parts lol)

I am in agreement with others, that if you cannot find neutral without a neutral light, MAYBE you shouldnt be riding.........lol

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 3

@AKATVRight.  Except that it was a leftover 02 that a guy had bought and had used for a couple of years.  It had about 900 miles on it and still looked new.  I've had it since 05.  So, I've had it 15 years.  I wanted my miles and hours intact.  I'm particular about everything working on a machine, if possible.  Frankly, even if it weren't for the price of a new gauge, I still would have preferred to have my old one working with the correct information on it.  It's nice having the speedo too.

And if I ever do go to sell it, I don't want to have to be explaining to someone why the miles are different than the gauge.  I know the buyer would be real skeptical when I told them what I thought the miles were when changed out.

I am in agreement with others, that if you cannot find neutral without a neutral light, MAYBE you shouldnt be riding.........lol

plus one ^^^ lol 

• Haha 1

Till it was mentioned ^^^ , I never thought about the aspects of  flipping the ATV after having the speedo repaired with a lower amount of miles and hours , hmmm !!! 

Since  that was brought up ^^^  it did make me think of , isn't it against some kind of law to "mess" with a speedometer , not that ATVs are anything like a truck or car , but a speedo is a speedo , unless it is that blue speedo  Shade wears when he is riding his blue 350