AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

hi, 04Foreman450... welcome aboard! ... as AKATV stated (a few post up  ^^^ ) ... you have to get a post under your belt before you can use the forums messaging option :-) ... as for how many ... I'm not sure ... I'd say 5 to 10

8 hours ago, 04foreman450 said:

Hello AkAtv. I’m new to the forums and it won’t let me message you. I need my screen repaired, it lights up yellow when the lights are turned on but the hours, miles etc aren’t visible 

Welcome to the site 04foreman450 , Wilson is right about have to post a few times before you can PM , post one in the New Member section and tell us about yourself and ATV , so everyone can say Hello , Hello , Hello , then Hello them back a few times and you will be good to go  , LOL 

I've sent a couple of these guys your way.  Looks like the original meters are getting hard to find new, and you seem to be the only one who knows how to repair them. @AKATV

• Like 2

Hi Jeep

I had Chipper, Tim-in-ND, and 04foreman450 contact me and I will get them taken care of in good shape

They all appear to have sunburnt display panels that will need the polarizing film replaced and possible data issues

(cant tell till screen works) lol

I have been looking for speedometer parts for awhile,but I have the feeling they are just going to get harder to find as time goes by

UV sunburn and programming is no problem to repair, but if the glass display is cracked or faulty, that is the part that is getting harder to find

The circuit boards are rarely a problem unless they sit with water in them and get severe water damage/corrosion

Thanks again and talk with you soon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am helping out our  member 04Foreman450 and I wanted to see if anyone might have a picture of the backside of an 04 Foreman 450 FM speedometer circuit card with the 2 small  electrical plugs in place?

I know the color codes and there appears to be an extra pin and unfortunately the Honda  wiring diagrams are not pin/plug specific

I want to power it up on the bench to confirm LCD repair and functions, but wanted to confirm pin position to wire color

I know the extra pin is for the 4WD led but I dont know if the other pins all shifted right, left or some other combination, so need to see what color goes to what pin

I had a proper harness but gave it up to help a fellow member who destroyed his trying to get that darned grey plug apart

I have pics of all the others cables and harness', just not this one and I had shipped my last one out before I realized..... 

He is going to send a picture of his cable, but he works graveyard shift and I was hoping to get this out to him in the mail today

Thanks in advance

Edited by AKATV

No worries all, I was able to get a photo of the 04 450 FM plug and wire combination

Repair went well ,  bad UV sunburn on display panel actually looked like it caught on fire and melted

Repair went well and is on its way back out to our member 04Foreman450

Here is a few pics of before and after of the speedometer repair

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

QCOC0562.JPG

SPDV7388.JPG

• Like 9

Hi: WOW that is amazing -- great skills you have -- a big 10

• Like 3

AKATV did an outstanding job on my odometer behind my expectations and kept outstanding communication with me throughout everything even with my graveyard shift.

• Like 5

Highly recommend @AKATV  if you are in need of a display repair. He got my Foreman 450 screen looking brand new. My display arrived at his place late in afternoon, he fixed it that night and He had it headed back my way first thing in the morning. I’m glad I just happened to stumble across this thread while searching the internet for parts bc @AKATV was far cheaper than any other option I was seeing. 
Thanks again for your help. 
A few before and after pics 

690469F5-2870-4254-B8AF-A6AC3A64062F.jpeg

CDB1CAEE-6E8E-480E-A48F-C38782897FC2.jpeg

F7E2EFBE-39EF-473E-A545-DD9B35DD7D93.jpeg

AABB639F-337C-4B13-8931-A6DF587D5B31.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks!

I have about 75-80 done over the last few years, only a few members here and there post pics of completed work

With that being said- the  resolution or pixels from last poster made the last display picture look "off" or blotchy

Here are the finished work pictures on that same display, just for clarification on what a completed display will look like

(have to cover green neutral LED with thumb a bit, or it washes out the picture)

QPRT8301[1].JPG

JUGI7303[1].JPG

• Like 6

your welcome! 70-80 ... that's impressive. i hope the forum members will toss more your way, this thread should be bumper up very often..... shade how about a sticky ? related to this ... 

• Like 2

AKATV , good thing you got going on ......   if I go to digging I bet I can come up with quite a few displays for 450's ES and FM , my 2000 450 screen is sun stroked , if your interested  , Pm me your address and I can send you a few displays and my 2000 display and you can share the wealth with the extras and fix mine  up ..... my boy 'Ted been wanting one , I think you may have already fixed him up , if not , I would like to see him get fixed up 

• Like 2

yea he had his done a few months ago... i believe he wanted black out the green neutral light... if memory serves me right ... 

I've sent a bunch your way AK.  Lots of people on bookface asking where to get meters.  They all get referred to you. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

AKATV , good thing you got going on ......   if I go to digging I bet I can come up with quite a few displays for 450's ES and FM , my 2000 450 screen is sun stroked , if your interested  , Pm me your address and I can send you a few displays and my 2000 display and you can share the wealth with the extras and fix mine  up ..... my boy 'Ted been wanting one , I think you may have already fixed him up , if not , I would like to see him get fixed up 

Thanks all for the kudos, glad to help whenever I can

I repaired Ted's quite awhile back-I think he was one of the first I took care out when I was was invited to join over here

Fish, I sent you a message and we can work out whatever you need done, and appreciate any parts you might have

I have a few on the bench i am waiting on parts for, the glass is the only stickler so far, if its cracked or has "ink spots" that you can see

when its turned off- it has to be replaced 

• Like 2

Do you or have you thought about doing this for other gauges?

I know I recently worked on an Arctic Cat "Teardrop" gauge and everywhere online people were complaining about similar issues and no fix but to replace.

For that particular gauge, it just need to be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled correctly (someone had been into it before)

On 9/4/2020 at 3:33 PM, oh400ex said:

Do you or have you thought about doing this for other gauges?

I know I recently worked on an Arctic Cat "Teardrop" gauge and everywhere online people were complaining about similar issues and no fix but to replace.

For that particular gauge, it just need to be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled correctly (someone had been into it before)

I mostly stick to the foreman 450 and Rancher 350ES displays as I am very familiar with these models and its getting harder for members to find replacements

plus i have the wiring and pinout data to help sort out issues

I can look at others models or help you troubleshoot displays on a case by case basis depending on what is wrong

• Like 3

I wanted to help a member who is not having luck polishing his clouded speedometer lens and wanted to show him the "razor blade video"

I went to look for the video where the gentleman uses a razor blade and carb cleaner / WD40 to clear up a cloudy display case but cant seem to find it

If anyone could post it here for me sure would appreciate it

I remember the first time I watched it and leaned back and went daaaaang.... I thought he was tearing it up and taking off way too much plastic, but it worked like a charm

- love that video

Thanks in advance

40 minutes ago, AKATV said:

I wanted to help a member who is not having luck polishing his clouded speedometer lens and wanted to show him the "razor blade video"

I went to look for the video where the gentleman uses a razor blade and carb cleaner / WD40 to clear up a cloudy display case but cant seem to find it

If anyone could post it here for me sure would appreciate it

I remember the first time I watched it and leaned back and went daaaaang.... I thought he was tearing it up and taking off way too much plastic, but it worked like a charm

- love that video

Thanks in advance

Not going to be any help with the video but have you tried the razor > wet sand > dry polish wheel method on clear plastic?

Use the razor to scrape off large damage then take a fine drywall sponge and fine sandpaper wet with a hose and sand the plastic to a fine haze. Last step is to polish with a dry cloth wheel and get the clarity back.

I have tried everything under the sun for restoring plastic and for clear and colored plastic with meat left on the bones this is my favorite method.

This video starting at 6:10 shows a decent example on colored plastic but it works on clear too.

Thanks so much fo rthe video- will check it out

The one I was looking for was using a razor blade on an old clouded Honda Foreman/Rancher? speedometer case- lots of plastic shaving flying off and then hits it with some carb cleaner then wd40  (equivalent) looks alot better in the end

6 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Thanks so much fo rthe video- will check it out

The one I was looking for was using a razor blade on an old clouded Honda Foreman/Rancher? speedometer case- lots of plastic shaving flying off and then hits it with some carb cleaner then wd40  (equivalent) looks alot better in the end

No problem. I have had mixed experience with chemical treatments on clear plastic. I usually find it hazes back up quickly compared to polished plastic

Give it a shot sometime on a test part