AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

I gotta say that is a really cool video and a great demonstration!

I would question the lifetime of the fix but when he "neutralized" it I got more on-board.

Jeep had that one ready to go lol 

• Like 1

Thanks Jeep!

I sure couldn't find this video and trying to explain this to someone is definitely not the same as seeing it done

many thanks 

• Like 2

AKATV , I have not forgot about them displays I mentioned , I got one out the pod , dug up 2 more  pods with  displays to be removed , time is scarcest lately  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

AKATV , I have not forgot about them displays I mentioned , I got one out the pod , dug up 2 more  pods with  displays to be removed , time is scarcest lately  

Hi Fish

Thanks for helping me source some parts- whatever you have, I can sure use it help someone out eventually

Let me know if there is anything you are looking for and I can keep an eye out

I will cover shipping for you whenever you are ready

Thanks again

• Like 1

I have 2 450 displays  with 3 lights , so they must be 2001 and down     and I know one of the two is off an ES ,the second one I have no clue which one it came off of ------ the third display is off my 2002 450  the one I needed the screen cleared up on  , I will give you the 2 for cleaning up mine and I will pay to ship them to you , OK 

Hey AKATV, been searching for a way to repair my meter and saw this thread. I have a 2002 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 with a pretty rough display. Screen lights up with the headlights, and the neutral / reverse lights work, but nothing displays on the screen, and the temp led doesn't light up. Looks to be water damaged. I bought it in this condition, also am missing the casing for the display. I know the front cover is available but can't find just the back. Really hope it is repairable as I would like to know how many hours / miles are on the machine, and don't want to shell out $280 for new assembly.

You can see corrosion and a broken pin on one connector... Thanks!!

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

IMG_9473.jpg

I ain't forgot about you AKATV , I have been under the weather and under pressures of life ----   seen reference to you on facebook , they were looking for the " Guy that Repairs Displays " , you got a following !!! 

11 hours ago, cutsham said:

Hey AKATV, been searching for a way to repair my meter and saw this thread. I have a 2002 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 with a pretty rough display. Screen lights up with the headlights, and the neutral / reverse lights work, but nothing displays on the screen, and the temp led doesn't light up. Looks to be water damaged. I bought it in this condition, also am missing the casing for the display. I know the front cover is available but can't find just the back. Really hope it is repairable as I would like to know how many hours / miles are on the machine, and don't want to shell out $280 for new assembly.

You can see corrosion and a broken pin on one connector... Thanks!!

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

IMG_9473.jpg

You got a lot going with that Rubicon display there...lol

I see 4-5 missing parts on the circuit board, corrosion damages, missing power pin and a nuked display panel

Also, unless someone had tried to replace your polarizing film previously, you should still have the screen printing oval for the gear position on the left hand side?

I stick consistently with the Foreman 450 and Rancher 350ES displays as I am able return them to near original condition as they have no screen printing, so when you replace the polarizing film on them they are as new

I would not be able to repair the display on yours as the front polarizing film for that model comes with printing on it from the factory and is not available to purchase new

I am afraid that this would not be cost effective to repair, as with all of the corrosion damages you could have many more bad components on the board as well

If you come up with a second parts board I could most likely build you a working board but at that point and cost, it might be cheaper just to get a second hand board from a member here or on ebay etc

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I ain't forgot about you AKATV , I have been under the weather and under pressures of life ----   seen reference to you on facebook , they were looking for the " Guy that Repairs Displays " , you got a following !!! 

Fish 

Thanks for the update on the parts

I dont follow Facebook too much, but glad to hear people are posting about my repairs

I stay here mostly and gave up on the other sites and forums, for me being on here is like heading out to the shop-

-familiar tools, familiar friends ,timely responses and good help, its just so much more of a better place over here

I poke around from time to time other places and might answer a question or two but its rare lately

36 minutes ago, AKATV said:

You got a lot going with that Rubicon display there...lol

I see 4-5 missing parts on the circuit board, corrosion damages, missing power pin and a nuked display panel

Also, unless someone had tried to replace your polarizing film previously, you should still have the screen printing oval for the gear position on the left hand side?

I stick consistently with the Foreman 450 and Rancher 350ES displays as I am able return them to near original condition as they have no screen printing, so when you replace the polarizing film on them they are as new

I would not be able to repair the display on yours as the front polarizing film for that model comes with printing on it from the factory and is not available to purchase new

I am afraid that this would not be cost effective to repair, as with all of the corrosion damages you could have many more bad components on the board as well

If you come up with a second parts board I could most likely build you a working board but at that point and cost, it might be cheaper just to get a second hand board from a member here or on ebay etc

Yeah it's pretty rough unfortunately... haven't had any luck finding a used one. Is there any way to even extract the milage / hours on this one? 

I could pull he chip and mount it on another board to see, but the data on it might be corrupt as well

If they go too long without a battery or run without a battery,it will cause the mileage data to  go to all 9's,

zeros, or some astronomically high number etc

Hey @AKATV,

I have an 03 foreman that needs some repair. Could I send you some pics to see if it doable? Looks like there is some minor corrosion and the film was has peeled off.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Let me know if its a 450S or 450ES Speedometer

I am sure I can get you fixed up, I sent you my contact info

Is it functioning at all?

11 hours ago, AKATV said:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Let me know if its a 450S or 450ES Speedometer

I am sure I can get you fixed up, I sent you my contact info

Is it functioning at all?

I've decided that someone here needs to come up with a clear film that we can stick to the 500 meters with the imprint on it.  That way you can fix 500 meters, and we can just lay the clear film over the top with the imprint on it.

Walaa!  Fixed 500 meters!

Of course, I have no idea how to do that, or how hard it would be.  I'm only good for ideas, not implementation.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've decided that someone here needs to come up with a clear film that we can stick to the 500 meters with the imprint on it.  That way you can fix 500 meters, and we can just lay the clear film over the top with the imprint on it.

Walaa!  Fixed 500 meters!

Of course, I have no idea how to do that, or how hard it would be.  I'm only good for ideas, not implementation.

I like the plastic idea.

Imprint? Just a bit confused about what you mean

24 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I like the plastic idea.

Imprint? Just a bit confused about what you mean

The older (450/350 Rancher) meters were clear screens and everything is part of the display.

The newer 500's, 680's have information printed on the screen that stays there all the time (MPH, Fuel etc) and if AKATV were to redo one, those markings would be gone.

• Like 1

i like that idea myself ... i wander what AKATV thoughts on this idea  would be. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Yep, Jeep nailed it explanation wise, the older Foreman and Rancher models  have a blank screen when you turn the key off

Those are the ones I can repair back to OEM by replacing the polarizing films that get "sunburnt" from UV damage

The meters that have any writing or graphics on them that you can see when the key is off, like Foreman 500 etc..(gas gauge,MPH.. ) are actually

now printed in ink on the top polarizing film from the factory.  I assume it is done that way now to save money, as it is less detail that you have to build into the LCD panel itself

I think that it might very well be possible to create a clear film to do this for certain models

I would think you could remove the LCD panel and put it in a scanner to scan the graphics on the LCD and then print it out on a clear acetate sheet that they make for printers

If you played with it,I think you could get it to match up quite closely but whether the printer ink would hold up to the sun etc would be my biggest question

My kid printed some picture last year to put on his wall and with the sun hitting it the ink is faded already 50-60%- so bad you can hardly see the pic

Black ink might hold up a little better would have to see, something to maybe tinker with over the Winter?

• Like 2

I'm just thinking anything now like an iphone or kindle has a clear stick-on screen protector on it now when you buy them, and some stuff like that has display stuff printed on it to make it look like the device is on while it's on display.

Looks like if someone could make something like that screen protector with the print on it, you could slap it on after a meter repair and then there's the cover to protect it. 

Didn't think about sun fading.  That could definitely be a problem.

• Like 2

@AKATV I still thinks wicked u can fix these screens the way u do! I like what Jeep said too. There has to be a company that can make the screens with writing in them like a screen protector on a phone.. anything is possible now a days. 

i was thinking over this .. what about those custom windshield decals ? but not tinted ... those never seem to fade out, might be a bit pricey to design. 

LOL.  We could just appreciate the fact the he's fixing the 450 and 350 meters, and quit trying to make things more complicated for him!