AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

Here is the gauge on the 05 500 I am working on. Sanding and buffing method. Didn't look that bad beforehand really but it is crystal clear now. Needs a light UV clear coat and it's like new again.

20200928_113959.jpg

20200928_114013.jpg

20201028_181429.jpg

20201028_181449.jpg

• Like 1

My meter is off to AKATV for repair. I will post pics when it gets back! If it gets back..lol!! Hopefully USPS doesn't mess things up!!

• Like 1

Just got my screen back and installed. It only took about a week total. He is the man. Before and after pics below.

408D9782-4DDF-4A6F-8953-620EAC2EE137.jpeg

0576237E-0417-467C-8A4A-D2518DEDA959.jpeg

8A1BD807-98C2-40BC-8A12-2314E48407BD.jpeg

3C2FA4D2-E29B-46B9-AB07-A5EAD22EB838.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words Tim, glad to see you back up and running!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on being the 400th member to join us here!

🎉   🎆     (FIREWORKS EXPLODING AND CONFETTI FALLING!!) 🎇  🎉

• Like 5

Those repairs look phenomenal! My 2001 Rancher 350ES has developed a black spot just to the right of the gear position indicator, not sure if it salvageable or not...

JayDee, send to AKATV .They all are repairable. Its just the polariaztion screen that is jacked up. Same on all of them. Mine looks brand new again. I sent it to Alaska and back in 8 days. AKATV will send it back out same day if he gets if early enough in the day from the Post Office.

9 hours ago, JayDee said:

Those repairs look phenomenal! My 2001 Rancher 350ES has developed a black spot just to the right of the gear position indicator, not sure if it salvageable or not...

If it looks like an ink blot I'm not sure if that can be "fixed" using your existing screen.  He might be able to fix it if he has a parts meter around though.  I'll defer to AK though, I could be wrong.

13 hours ago, JayDee said:

Jeeps reply is spot on, I did not get  to clarify JayDee's post here, as he had messaged me also and I replied to his message and forgot about this post....

If your display has solid black "ink" looking spot or blotches on it, it is an common internal failure of the LCD display panel and CANNOT be repaired, The LCD must be replaced, most of the times it will still function as normal and it is a purely cosmetic defect. For some reason I have noticed this failure seems more common on the 450S LCD panels

The vast majority of problems with the Foreman 450 and Rancher 350ES speedometers are:

-Sunburned/UV damaged polarization films on the LCD panel - due to sitting in direct sunlight for many, many years and UV from the sun bakes the film on the LCD panel

I have seen some so bad, they actually look like they were on fire/melted

-Dropped/corrupted/altered/missing data on speedometer such as 265,345 miles 0 hours and no gear position indicator -due to dead or no battery for a long time (running with no battery is hard on ALL  ATVs but really bad for the Foreman 450 and rancher 350 ES speedometers 

Sometimes they will be COMPLETELY blank and appear to be dead, but just need reprogramming due to the above

-Physical damages, such as cracked LCD panel, water damages, mineralization/corrosion/damage to circuit board -these  usually due to rollover, tree branch strikes, cracked outer case letting water in, sinking ATV in water, ticked off old lady with a bat due to riding late and drinking with the boys or faulty repair attempts

Sometimes shorted wiring due to mice, modifications etc will damage circuit board components which can be replaced from donor board

Once I repair a Speedometer my advice is:

-Keep the display covered or out of the direct sunlight for extended periods ( people leave them sitting at camp all summer outside for years etc.. throw a board or tarp on it)

-Make sure battery and voltage regulator are in good shape and keep a proper charge on the battery when not in use

(Do NOT run ATV without battery installed)

Have a safe and Happy Holidays

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

Hi

Welcome to the forum!

I am sure I can get you fixed up  

Let me know the specifics as in year and model and what you have going on with it, maybe post a picture here so we can see

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I can get you taken care of no problem

I just sent you a message with my contact number we can get it worked out

Take a minute when you can to say hi to everybody and introduce yourself in the new member section

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

I have a 2000 Foreman  450es screen in need of repair or replacement I attempted  the polarization film repair and broke the glass etc.

4F829835-3D93-4F04-A685-3722ED6DD923.jpeg

9673D033-C013-4BB0-B5DB-9DD86A480EDE.jpeg

Edited by Jaysteel

I can get you taken care of but going to need to source a replacement glass

I will send you PM and we can get things rolling

• Like 1

@AKATV Just curious if you have ever flipped the polarizing film in these (I think that is hat they did). I seen it done once and kind of liked the dark background and light numbers. I think during night riding it would take the "glare" away from it. Just curious...

Hi toodeep!

You can switch the polarizing films all around its not too hard to do, gives kind of a reverse kind of look, like a photo negative look

I have put different colored plastic films between the led backlight and the rear of the LCD, its pretty easy for anyone to do

I made my buddy one that ended up having a low red glow, good for nightime driving, also put a kill switch that just turns off the display light completely

so its not distracting while driving at night

I always wanted to rig up a dimmer switch so you could adjust the backlight like in an auto, but being LEDs (the non dimmable kind) I never got around to it-yet

My buddy told me he built a dimmer for his, I went over and he had put a couple layers of window tint on it- LOL

• Haha 3

@AKATV

I have a 2000 Honda 450 ES with a display that looks like the attached photos.   No image is left when I turn off and if I have a sideways look at the display, I can see more.  Is this something you can repair?

76BF205C-F072-45D4-85E1-985E34AECA41.jpeg

062D4EDD-C154-449B-9883-0582D4232241.jpeg

CCAB0034-34CD-43C2-8AA1-0CC0BADE0B17.jpeg

Edited by Dfactor

I can fix it for you no problem

looks like your LCD display panel has UV damage/sunburn

I see the part of your problem is the outer display case is a little cloudy 

If you remove that top cover, we can get a better look at the actual LCD display UV damage

I sent you my contact information in a separate message

we can get it worked out either way

just let me know what you’d like to do and I’ll take care of it

AKATV

• Like 2

Great stuff AK. I can't wait for one of my displays to go out so I don't have to ship something to the states for a change 😆

Do you do other brands? Polaris for example.

You cannot repair a lot of the other models and have them look factory

Basically, if they have any writing on them that you can see when key is off that means that the

polarization film has factory printing on it, such as on the Foreman 500, the gas level markings,

MPH etc... and all that are printed on the top polarizing film at the factory.

I stick mostly to the Foreman 450 and Rancher 350 to help fellow riders out.

Being older models, the parts are getting harder to find and if they just need the display

repaired or reprogrammed, it can save a whole lot of money,

The speedometers seem to run several hundred dollars if you can find a good one that also does not need repair

• Like 4

Hi and welcome to the forum

Let me know what you have going on, maybe post a picture or two 

I can get you taken care of no problem

I sent you a message with my contact information as well

Take care and talk with you soon

• Like 1

@AKATV is the man!   

You can see me first post above.   I also had my cover on.  See below his awesome work.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
He is very agreeable to any shipping plans, keeps you informed, and makes sure you have the work done that you want.

I recommend 6/5 stars!

• Like 7

I agree @Dfactor, we are very fortunate that AKATV chooses to hang around with us! Thank you for your review! Stick around and have fun, we're a friendly bunch!

• Like 3