AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

Ok thanks,

I will keep an eye out for parts and let you know if I find some.

I know AKATV fixes a lot of displays here , but listen folks...DON'T PARK IT OUT IN THE WEATHER/SUN, AND DON'T RIDE IN DEEP WATER, AND DON'T LET WATER ON THE DISPLAY !. i replaced mine awhile back with brand new, and i always.. ALWAYS keep my atv under , and out of the weather, and i do not ride in lakes. too each their own though ! :-).

• Like 3

@AKATV  Here are two 450 ES meters ---- PM me your address  -------    taking that meter off of an atv is not really easy ,  disconnecting the plug  with mud packed in the plug release clip  with the fender on was fun , LOL  --- 

fullsizeoutput_e53.jpeg

• Like 4

Fish

PM Sent

Thanks for taking the time to do that -those grey plugs have probably helped to invent a lot of new swearwords

I really appreciate it as all my spare parts are depleted

Let me know if you are looking for anything as well

Make sure your ATVs downshift properly at higher rpms , I have lately heard of several 450's not downshifting above 25-30 mph with speedo pulled

Man thats a wrench and half there -wont lose that in the weeds for sure, lol

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

450 es models not shifting right because of the meters being disconnected ? any idea why ? any other es bikes effected ? I'd like to read up on this issue, if you have any online info, a couple threads here, might be related to this other none shifting issue. 

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

450 es models not shifting right because of the meters being disconnected ? any idea why ? any other es bikes effected ? I'd like to read up on this issue, if you have any online info, a couple threads here, might be related to this other none shifting issue. 

Too many coors lights will make them shift funny also....

• Haha 3

I have never experienced an inability to downshift with speedometer removed on a Foreman 450ES, but I have had a couple of members report that

they were unable to downshift over a certain RPM/25-30mph with it removed or disconnected, they may have had other issues as well...?

I have not ever run into it, but have heard it more than once, so thought I would pass it along

Just to clarify its downshift only, and only above a certain speed and RPM

Might be a safety feature of the ECU as well, if people are winding it out and trying to drop it down a gear...

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

here are a couple of more pics of what I am going to send you , can't read any numbers , one seems to have a darker inner  bezel 

I noticed on the rear , one had holes burned in the rubber plugs , the other is discolored at the plugs ,  would guess water could get in easy after the hole is burned thru 

+cVmhDZMRsKR7r94H1qG4w.jpg

7ueWRe9iTjmN432TfwCVog.jpg

fullsizeoutput_e5a.jpeg

• Like 3

Fish

You are the man! I am super happy to find ANY parts in ANY condition

This will help out a lot of members and I will be sure to let them know you hooked them up with spare parts

Let me know if you are looking for any parts as well, as I am always on the lookout

AKATV

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AKATV said:

Just to clarify its downshift only, and only above a certain speed and RPM

Might be a safety feature of the ECU as well, if people are winding it out and trying to drop it down a gear...

This is true I have experienced a failed downshift myself when I accidentally hit the downshift button running along at high speed & high RPMs. After I realized the ECU had saved me, I tested it further on purpose and found that the safety threshold is reasonable, but I could still over-rev the motor a bit more than I was comfortable doing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, retro said:

This is true I have experienced a failed downshift myself when I accidentally hit the downshift button running along at high speed & high RPMs. After I realized the ECU had saved me, I tested it further on purpose and found that the safety threshold is reasonable, but I could still over-rev the motor a bit more than I was comfortable doing.

Thanks retro!

Very good to know and thanks for the confirmation on this

I was going to run the guts out of a 450ES  I had, both with and without a speedometer when it (weather) warms up a bit to confirm this

• Like 2

I was wondering if only the 2nd gen 450ES with selectable 4wd  would have over rev'ed down shift protection , as those already  have protection to not engage 4wd when going to fast 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, THH said:

Ok thanks,

I will keep an eye out for parts and let you know if I find some.

One of the guys at Powersportsnation.com said they toss their non-working meters, and said he'd try to remember to save them.  You might call them and see if they have any they'd sell/give you.

• Like 1

Thanks jeep, I was just looking for parts there.

I will check back with them.

I also called Powersportsnation  to check- they dont have anything right now good or bad parts wise

I asked them if they could save any broken ones and I would pay for them

and was told he would speak to parts manager and get back with me.....heard that before so....

I got into a scuff with them awhile back over shipping- they offer free shipping to lower 48 not Alaska or Hawaii -I understand, some parts cost a lot to ship

So I paid extra, they shipped it and It came in a Priority Flat Rate Box which costs exactly the same as anywhere else in US 

I called to ask about it and got a wishy- washy explanation and have been a little hesitant getting parts from them since then

• Like 1

Funny you brought up shipping to Alaska , I mailed two meters to you this morning , they said the cheapest  which was ground would take 14-21 days , so I sped it up to priority and they said you should get it Monday  ----  14-21 days ground must be via  dog sled 

• Like 1

Yeah see that crap all the time. "Free shipping if you spend this much" Then pump in the 99XXX zip code and it adds another 20% or so.

I used to buy a lot of parts from Cheap Cycle in CA. Got tired of paying their shipping costs so asked them to give me an exception since I've tossed so much money at them. Prooved that it cost the same for them to send things to FL as to AK. They wouldn't give me an exception. 

I don't buy parts from them anymore. 

@AKATV have you talked to Todd at AK ATV Salvage in ER? He's got piles of wrecked machines in his yard.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:39 AM, Tim-ANC said:

@AKATV have you talked to Todd at AK ATV Salvage in ER? He's got piles of wrecked machines in his yard.

Thanks, I have but most of his stuff in the yard is picked pretty clean, as least the ones I need parts for-LOL

• Like 1

Wanted to give a big thanks to Fish for donating speedometer parts units as I was completely out of glass for the Foreman 450

Fish wouldnt take anything for them and even upgraded shipping to get here quicker

I cant say thanks enough, and its sure going to help out more than a couple members with non working displays

Just another reason this forum rocks -members helping each other out for real

• Like 7

15 hours ago, AKATV said:

Wanted to give a big thanks to Fish for donating speedometer parts units as I was completely out of glass for the Foreman 450

Fish wouldnt take anything for them and even upgraded shipping to get here quicker

I cant say thanks enough, and its sure going to help out more than a couple members with non working displays

Just another reason this forum rocks -members helping each other out for real

Thanks needs to be spread around ,   @jeepwm69 sent me a 300 sub harness when I needed one , @retro built me  a temperature Gizmo for my 450 and gave much time and knowledge when I built my 500 sleeved 450 engine , @LBZ  has located and help me obtain a 1st gen 300 Warn 424 which is the Holy Grail of 424s and one piece 54% reduction ,   @shadetree has given me hours of phone time sharing knowledge and has offered many times now to to motor work for me ----   I am sure I am missing  others along the way --- thanks goes to the ones that came before 

• Like 6

Not interchangeable 

The ES display has several more pins on the harness plug for each gear position and the actual internal LCD displays are different, as the ES display shows the gear position on display and the S model does not