AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

Hi Mike welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have typical UV sun damage

I’m sure I can get you taken care of no problem, post a picture here so I can make sure that’s all you got going on and I’ll send you my contact information to your message box

On 10/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, AKATV said:

Hi Shadetree

I can get you taken care of 

Is your meter functional, if so

are you able to see the hours and miles or do you know if the data has been corrupted it needs to be reprogrammed?

If it’s functional, I can repair the top polarization film and I might have a spare rear back plate for you

I wouldn’t recommend crazy glue, JB Weld seems to work pretty good for those studs They are kind of like the fuel petcock screws that will twist out the threaded inserts if you go slow, it’s best to hit these 10 mm nuts with a small impact and they usually break free without twisting out the studs

I also sent you a message with my contact information if you wanna look into having it repaired

thanks again and will talk with you soon

had a chance to plug it in lastnight, here it is powered up, is has more miles than the good meter i installed on this trx450fm !..lol

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

On 10/18/2021 at 3:17 PM, Quadjunkie said:

My turn. AKATV plz send me your address. I have an 04 450 ES everything works but my screen is getting cloudy and I would like that replaced. Thanks.

Check out this video 

It looks a little aggressive but it does the trick, he is basically using carb cleaner followed with WD-40 after the razor blade

https://www.facebook.com/100004956400949/videos/1443294615845738

(Thanks @retro !)

Edited by AKATV

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

had a chance to plug it in lastnight, here it is powered up, is has more miles than the good meter i installed on this trx450fm !..lol

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

Is this the same one in both pics? -the bottom LCD screen looks a little "burned"

Edited by AKATV

1 hour ago, AKATV said:

Is this the same one in both pics? -the bottom LCD screen looks a little "burned"

yes, same meter, both pic's, this was the meter that came on it. was very first meter i posted in this thread to you..

AKATV, I have a 98 Forman 450 that has this problem too. When you get a chance, PM me and I’ll send the pics.

No problem I’ve sent you a PM thanks for the message and welcome to the forum!

I’m very happy with my repair experience on my 04 Honda Foreman 450. The display was unreadable due to sun damage.  AKATV gave me great instructions on how to remove the display, box and ship, texted when he received, repaired with a picture, and a tracking number when he shipped it back. The price was fair and the process took less than a week. I wish everyone had customers service like AKATV. Thanks Ron!

2BD8005A-4FDD-4F29-863A-8AFAAB9EF49C.jpeg

59E6F453-96D5-4AD6-A2B7-916855323332.jpeg

• Like 6

Add me to the ever growing list of happy Honda 450 guys who have had their unreadable instrument cluster fixed by Ron. Here is the before… And after… I had it shipped and back in about a week. This guy does good work and it was a pretty painless process. I can’t be happier. Thanks Ron!!!

A4F9F980-1DC0-4363-ADF0-720063D1028B.jpeg

BE3E9382-C58A-42D7-8B40-B7D01301B6BC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello @AKATV. I found you while looking (obviously) for ways to fix my display. I have a 1999 Foreman 450 es.

My display is sunburned and the light doesn't light up. There is a little minor corrosion on the pcb. I scraped it off hoping to get the light working again. It looks clean otherwise.

Do you still have the parts to repair these displays? I would like to get mine repaired.

Hi

I do a lot of repairs on these

it really depends on the amount and type of corrosion that you have and what components it’s affecting

I can definitely repair your sunburned LCD but water damage repairs are hit or miss as far as far as being cost effective to repair 

send me a picture of the corrosion  that you have

There’s a lot of electrical components underneath of the LCD display itself and if water got in there, they could be corroded and damaged as well

Talk with you soon

I don't think it is water damage. More like left behind flux. Is that a known thing for these boards? Too bad someone doesn't hit up china for some knock offs.

2021-11-14 15.15.27.jpg

20211114_151433.jpg

20211114_151447.jpg

My board had that too, didn’t affect how it worked or the repair made to it. Ron is the man when it comes to this.

Yeah what you’re saying there’s just normal leftover flux from the manufacturing process

When you say the light does not light up are you talking about the backlight for the LCD display are you talking about the neutral light or one of the other LED lights

I can definitely fix your display your back light will be depending on what the problem is

Back light. The board looks almost pristine. I could see some characters in the screen when I had the casing out of the housing. Very faint but readable. The buttons on the casing are a little the worse for wear.

Send me a price and an address and I'll drop it in the mail. Even without a back light it would be an improvement.

AKATV I was supposed to post these for you a while back but I just got my bike half way back together. Enough to power up the display. You can see the numbers just barely being displayed, although probably not in the pictures here. Can you fix the LCD display?(2nd photo)Everything else is fine.

20211120_191149.jpg

20211120_191031.jpg

20211120_190747.jpg

20211120_190616.jpg

20211120_173611.jpg

Hi Gravesdigger, its been awhile

I can repair it for you if you want

Looks like you will most likely need the polarization films replaced

Sounds like you data is good if you can see numbers

I sent you my contact information as well

AKATV

Thanks for the reply. I will shoot you a text about the p. film later today since you're most likely sawing logs at the present.(Zzzzzzz) I will go ahead and ask here instead of p.m. in case someone else is deranged as I am and curious to know if the backlight color can be changed to green? I hate that amber color. Reminds me of a 90's Pontiac instrument cluster.

Edited by Gravesdigger
Additional info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wormy said:

Here are my before and after pics of my display that AKATV fixed for me.

Old Display Light.jpg

New Display Light.jpg

like the fix, loose the blue gloves...afraid to get finger nails nasty ?..lol.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wormy said:

Ha ha ha!!! That's a picture AKATV sent me before he mailed it!

ah..ok..then you get a free pass...lol.

The black ones are much cooler looking an tuffer !!!  The blue ones are kind of nerdy 

image.png

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

The black ones are much cooler looking an tuffer !!!  The blue ones are kind of nerdy 

image.png

Yep are used to get black ravens for $22 a box here in Alaska they’re $45 now cruising of the aisle at Walmart and get the same box of gloves in blue for $14 so…..If you need to  spend extra 31 to be cool have at it

Saving a few bucks allows me to donate more to the forum as well

No Fish I’m not afraid of getting my fingernails dirty but if you look up the MSDS sheets for some of the solvents and chemicals that I work with you would be smart to put them on too..

I took some pretty extensive hazmat training in the military trust me

PS I’m already cool and tough …..even with Nancy gloves.. lol

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1