AKATV

Foreman 450 Speedometer Repair Before & After Pics

29 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yes! , for tampering with a vihicle it's a felony. glad this was brought up. 

But is an ATV considered a "vehicle" according to that law?

I say that because quite a few ATV's don't have a speedometer or an hour meter at all (they're more or less an option), so given that, I don't see how ATV's are regulated when it comes to such.

I understand that some would finagle the readings to sell a used bike under false pretenses, but again, with a new or different meter being available and easily swapped in, I don't think the "law" applies here.

If so, you wouldn't be able to buy a meter with zero miles on it from any Honda dealer and install it on a machine. 

For that matter, you can buy all kinds of old Jeep CJ speedometers on ebay, and could swap one in easily enough.  It's illegal to roll back an odometer, but is it illegal to replace a broken speedometer/odometer?

Let's face it, crooks are going to be crooks, and honest folks are going to be honest.  Caveat Emptor.

There is nothing wrong with merely reprogramming a meter on an ATV. If one were to have their’s changed to trick someone into buying it for a higher price and because of that someone bought it, then the seller has engaged in fraud.  But AKATV is not assisting people in doing that. 

Jeepwm69 is spot on. 

Edited by slowindown

44 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yes! , for tampering with a vihicle it's a felony. glad this was brought up. 

56 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Till it was mentioned ^^^ , I never thought about the aspects of  flipping the ATV after having the speedo repaired with a lower amount of miles and hours , hmmm !!! 

Since  that was brought up ^^^  it did make me think of , isn't it against some kind of law to "mess" with a speedometer , not that ATVs are anything like a truck or car , but a speedo is a speedo , unless it is that blue speedo  Shade wears when he is riding his blue 350 

Nope- its perfectly fine to repair/reprogram speedometers on my end

What you choose to do with it, and how, is where it has the potential to be against the law

The owner is free to do what he wants with his own vehicle and speedometer-he owns it

It is it up to the owner, to notify upon sale, of any mileage correction, change or error on that vehicle/speedometer

The same thing is required when putting new speedometer on when you sell it

Misrepresenting mileage on any vehicle being sold is against the law

When this "hoopla" went on before on the "other" forum, I went straight to the DMV and asked what was, and what was not legal

If you look online there are many other speedometer repair services available-and they have the laws/legal posted

Feel free to check them out - I just do it cheaper and quicker 😃

$45.00 and 1 day turnaround..........

http://www.bluegauges.com/mileages.htm

https://socalspeedometer.com/

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp   etc....etc...etc..

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

But is an ATV considered a "vehicle" according to that law?

I say that because quite a few ATV's don't have a speedometer or an hour meter at all (they're more or less an option), so given that, I don't see how ATV's are regulated when it comes to such.

I understand that some would finagle the readings to sell a used bike under false pretenses, but again, with a new or different meter being available and easily swapped in, I don't think the "law" applies here.

If so, you wouldn't be able to buy a meter with zero miles on it from any Honda dealer and install it on a machine. 

For that matter, you can buy all kinds of old Jeep CJ speedometers on ebay, and could swap one in easily enough.  It's illegal to roll back an odometer, but is it illegal to replace a broken speedometer/odometer?

Let's face it, crooks are going to be crooks, and honest folks are going to be honest.  Caveat Emptor.

Well said.

It was also pointed out to me at the DMV that that this is the reason NADA price guide for used ATVs does not have a mileage option for pricing, they just go by the year

since the speedometer and or hour meter is an option on some models, as you pointed out.

• Like 2

@slowindown

when did anyone say it was wrong ? or, that he was doing wrong ?? no one that i can see .... besides ... the smart guy looking to purchase a used atv does not go by hours or miles ... but rather the condition of the machine ... maybe how many sets of tires ?? 

19 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@slowindown

when did anyone say it was wrong ? or, that he was doing wrong ?? no one that i can see .... besides ... the smart guy looking to purchase a used atv does not go by hours or miles ... but rather the condition of the machine ... maybe how many sets of tires ?? 

Huh? No one that I saw said it was wrong.  I certainly didn't say anyone said it was wrong.  Did I?

only time i install a brand new meter ?, is when i do a complete engine over haul ( which is most of the time ! ), other than this ?, i don't replace them to sell for lower miles. but like i said, i put new on my atv projects when i rebuild the engine, and thats a 100% chance,,as most atvs i buy are basket cases !..lol.

• Like 2

nope ..... never said you did , nor anyone else, lol! but as stated the topic sure has turned grayish .... personaly if it was me .... I'd learn to do it myself ... for my own machine .(THAT I WOULD NOT SELL ) ...  and in the second place it was a bad choice for them to be designed to be reprogrammable for milage / hours  ... that being said ... i don't see one thing wrong with a screen repair. 

question ... is there not a tamper seal of some sort that shows the meter has been opened up ? 

third ... if had to replace the meter on a used machine .... i would document the milage / hours and date via, pictures, or video of the old meter ... along with dates of servicing, including the hours, and miles written down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

nope ..... never said you did , nor anyone else, lol! but as stated the topic sure has turned grayish .... personaly if it was me .... I'd learn to do it myself ... for my own machine .(THAT I WOULD NOT SELL ) ...  and in the second place it was a bad choice for them to be designed to be reprogrammable for milage / hours  ... that being said ... i don't see one thing wrong with a screen repair. 

question ... is there not a tamper seal of some sort that shows the meter has been opened up ? 

third ... if had to replace the meter on a used machine .... i would document the milage / hours and date via, pictures, or video of the old meter ... along with dates of servicing, including the hours, and miles written down. 

if there is a seal ?, its not to tell if the miles or hours have been tampered with ?, it will be for warranty reasons. like it was said ^^^, if a crook wants to be dishonest about hours/miles on an atv, WHATS STOPPING THEM FROM BUYING A BRAND NEW METER/DISPLAY ????..nothing !!!!. a good point though, if a buyer can't tell by looking at an atv, and see the wear on it , and it does not match the miles/hours ?, then they dont need to be on one !..rofl.

• Like 3

I have an 02 Honda 350 that the digital display doesn't work. How do I know if it's repairable and if I can ship it to you. The orange backlight works but the buttons don't change anything. 

Post a picture of what display looks like- I can fix it it or there is no charge

I have not had one yet I have not been unable to fix, worst case is it will need a new glass

I will PM you my direct contact information

• Like 2

I will definitely do this now. Thank you so much. Do you have any idea of approximately how much the repair might be? 

Usually a flat 45.00 , but lets make sure your display isnt sunburnt etc... or the circuit card is not water damaged etc.

I have these repairs down pat, so theres not too much I cannot fix on them at this point, save for a cracked glass which can also be replaced

• Like 2

If you check you separate messages, you should have my direct contact information

Shoot me confirmation text and we can get things rolling

Take care

• Like 2

@AKATV i have a 2000 450s, the display is lit but blank. The neutral/reverse lights work as well... was wondering how much you would charge to fix it? Was recommended by someone off of the facebook group. 

• Like 1

Hi

I can fix it for you, the 450S has a few quirks of its own

Post a few pictures of what it is or is not doing and any history on it such as water damage, sunburn damage to display etc

and we can take it from there.

If you are not sure, you can just send pictures

I sent you my contact information to your message box as well

Thanks and talk with you soon

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 3

Thanks for the thumbs up !

I think messaging will work, unless you just joined up,then there may be a limitation, minimum post requirement, etc..

I sent you a message with my contact info just in case

Can you post a few pics here, so we can see whats going on and pinpoint what issues you are having

There is not much I cannot fix on the Foreman 450S/ES and Rancher 350ES displays at this point

The biggest problem is if you need a new inner display glass if yours is cracked or has black looking "ink spots"

I can replace that as well, but am low on spare used parts at this time and will have to find some old parts units

Let me know exactly whats going on and we can get you fixed up

• Like 1

@AKATV I have a 04 Honda Foreman ES TRX450FE4. Nuetral/reverse lights at the top work but display is blank. When I flip the lights on the background lights up with black blotches. I’m assuming these are the “ink spots” you are referring to in your above post. I bought it in this condition so I don’t have much prior history for you. I know it wasn’t garage kept prior to me so it could be anything. 

You think you would be able to fix? If so shoot me your price/contact info? Not a necessity for me to get fixed, but i would be willing to do it for a decent price. 

C7721FDA-444C-4000-BF30-831B343B6044.jpeg

44439B76-A290-47FB-B992-F14011E3C253.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures

I can get you taken care of no problem, looks like you have sunburn damage, possible water intrusion

I sent you my contact info in a message if you like to get it repaired

If for some reason I am unable to there is no charge

Been doing this for years now and have seen just about everything imaginable -lol

• Like 5

Hello AkAtv. I’m new to the forums and it won’t let me message you. I need my screen repaired, it lights up yellow when the lights are turned on but the hours, miles etc aren’t visible