dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

So what exactly is the process?  Get the sap, then what?

can gather sap for up to 7 day's then have to process it,  from what the wife said.

have to store sap cold also,  we go and harvest every day as well.  

this is my first year doing this so I'm a learing as I go and its been a steep curve in some things.

Ya gotta watch it with the ratio cause it can range from 35-45 to 1 depending on sugar content. So we check barometric pressure for boiling temp of water and a hygrometer and have a chart at what temp to take the syrup off. This ensures the sweetest syrup without turning to sugar.

• Like 1

Prov your talking that fancy talk stuff now!

thanks for the great advice!

Was told when we got down to the last bit in the small pot it would foam up like crazy and to just let it keep foaming and then when it died down some is when to pull it off.

so that is what we did,  The Syrup tasted pretty good fresh off the strainer that we ran it through then it went into the house for the wife to finish process and into the jars it went.  Haven't had a chance to taste it since then.

if we due this again next year I'm sure we will refine the process and get better at it.  It'll be up to the kids if the want to help with the leg work of doing it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

ill get sap gathering pics tonight when I make my gathering trip,

we only have 9 trees tapped and only are getting about 3-4 gallons a day,

You need to tap more trees. It takes 40 gallons of  sap to get 1 gallon of syrup So you need more taps at the rate your gathering. 

Had the sheriff's stop by today and the retards got stuck in my driveway. I had to come out and anchor the quad to a telephone pole and winch him out, then snowblow a larger turning space for them. Its raining out right now and -5C my driveway is a sheet of ice.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

You need to tap more trees. It takes 40 gallons of  sap to get 1 gallon of syrup So you need more taps at the rate your gathering. 

Yes also need to know where more maple trees are as well.

my woodland is mostly oaks and cherry and elm, some hickory.

summer time to due is mark more maple trees and also at garage sales find some better steam pans.

my first year doing this so its a steep learning curve for me/wife and the kids!

12 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

Out on the trail getting the sap,

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i hope your not pulling that trx450 with the winch up on the front rack ??..thats a big no no !.

34 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i hope your not pulling that trx450 with the winch up on the front rack ??..thats a big no no !.

I spotted the winch mount position as well...figure he's lifting stuff with it, not actually pulling the bike out of trouble...but I'm still of the mindset that if the bike is still running, not trying to haul it up a steep creek bank, but fairly flat terrain and just too slippery, then you're using the bike to help get unstuck and just need a little tug from a nearby tree...stil, I've resisted the tempation to rack mount as I don't really want to find myself needing it only to have bolts sheered off.

Winch has been there since 2002 when the ATV was new and its seen its far use and hasn't bent the rack yet.

its on a thick metal plate that is welded to the flat spots on the front rack.

used for pulling out other stuck ATV's .  Works great at pulling out stuck ATVs as the winch is the high point and pulls up/out to get the stuck ATV out of the hole that it is in.  When this one is stuck and using the winch to get out Have to hope the anchor tree is big enough that you can hook up high, if not and only a small tree you hook low and the front plows down when winching but try and feather with the throttle to get up and out of the mud hole that I'm in. or the snow bank.

Heck I know a few times When I've been pulling something and the ATV has move and not the object that I have wanted to pull and I have chained the rear of the ATV to a tree and then ran a pulley at the object then back to the front tow hook on my ATV to increase pulling power and the front rack survived that.

Its a WARN 2000 winch so not a top of the line beefy unit but has served me well.

I like having the winch up on the front rack alot easier to make sure the cable lays back in correct and not becoming a birds nest mess.

I have winch's on 4 of my ATVs, and If I have to pick a ATV for winching duty for something I usually use this one.  The other 3 have winch's under the fender this is the only rack mount winch I have.  Got this ATV from my Brother and he wanted the Winch on the front rack so that is where it went.

I guess the winch has not failed me yet being on the rack where it is and its staying there for the foreseeable future as well.

pic of the Foreman in winter mode with the plow and the electric lift actuator for plow up/down the winch is the emergency back up for if the electric actuator fails me.

IMG_0593.JPG

• Like 1

Heck I had the ATV and that trailer out in the swamp land and buried the ATV I had like 5 kids in the trailer and had to hook to a tree to pull the ATV and trailer threw the mud hole.

Had the kids get out of the trailer to reduce the drag but the trailer was sunk up to the axle along with the ATV and it winched out no problems at all.

the old Honda and winch are on the other end of this got used for picking up the cement sink so that I could put the wood frame stand under it.

then Used my Dad's tractor and forks to pick up the sink and frame to place out by the garden for use there.

winch worked great as it gave me fine tune lifting and lowering down onto the wooden frame that I had built.

stone sink raise.jpg

It looks like you left the root system. If it's like anything i wanted to kill/remove they come back the next year. I don't have a green thumb but I can't get rid of them either. lol

Probably not gonna work for you dearchristpher but I have a heavy metal ring 14" diameter 8" high I have set up on small blocks over problem stumps or bushes that won't die.  Fill ring full of wood have camp fire, rinse repeat every 3 weeks or every weekend for 4 months or so it sterilizes the group with being heated up and the problem bush have not come back.

or I've made the spot part of my atv trail loop and it gets road down every time I start a atv.  

Right now in mud season is a great time to turn them trouble spots into dirt tracks! Just have to keep at it. Gives me excuse to ride my close trails at the house all the time.

16 hours ago, dearchristopher said:

hopefully the last time I have to yank bushes out...I dont find this fun. the only good part is getting the atv out. lol

905382A0-45E6-4D80-8C15-D84B03A2E654.jpeg

273FED08-B8FF-4862-B5C8-0BD464B42023.jpeg

Hey great camouflage idea 😆

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

Probably not gonna work for you dearchristpher but I have a heavy metal ring 14" diameter 8" high I have set up on small blocks over problem stumps or bushes that won't die.  Fill ring full of wood have camp fire, rinse repeat every 3 weeks or every weekend for 4 months or so it sterilizes the group with being heated up and the problem bush have not come back.

or I've made the spot part of my atv trail loop and it gets road down every time I start a atv.  

Right now in mud season is a great time to turn them trouble spots into dirt tracks! Just have to keep at it. Gives me excuse to ride my close trails at the house all the time.

man I wish. this is in the beds on the front of my house. 

I definitely missed most of the root system...i’ll be fighting these for a while. I need to get in there and dig some more. 

put down a small tarp over the area and cover with your fancy rocks for 1 year and then should stay gone then.

then plant back what you want or just leave with the rock cover  need to make sure the tarp drains water away from the house though if you go that route.

Ol Ruby towed the big 40 ton out to the wood shed then just sat and watched me split wood for 2.5 hours, didn’t even ask to pitch in 🤪 so I made the Ol girl pull the 40 ton back up to the barn then go fetch a trailer load of wood and take it to the house. 

E80FD8CC-5686-48C4-ADD5-EBF4A511E622.jpeg

Will be plowing today when the sun comes up. Snowing now, but getting warm (Near freezing) for the first time this year. Four feet of snow on the ground, no melting yet this winter. Spring might actually show up in March this year...

went to the shop, plugged in the charger, Put the blade on the Rancher in November, hasn't moved since. No plowable snow events this winter. Exact opposite of last winter, plowed 6-7 times. That is SE Nebraska.

20 minutes ago, shrade said:

went to the shop, plugged in the charger, Put the blade on the Rancher in November, hasn't moved since. No plowable snow events this winter. Exact opposite of last winter, plowed 6-7 times. That is SE Nebraska.

I’ve put 13 hours on the Honda snowblower and 20 hours so far on the Honda Foreman plowing. Main problem this winter was it being too cold to move snow! I have silicon heat pads on both of the above to warm the oil...was a tough winter this year.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, Nanook said:

I’ve put 13 hours on the Honda snowblower and 20 hours so far on the Honda Foreman plowing. Main problem this winter was it being too cold to move snow! I have silicon heat pads on both of the above to warm the oil...was a tough winter this year.

Nanook: You guys still have a couple of months of winter to go ,Right? Do the silicon heat pads make that much diff.? What kind did you have? My carburated Rancher is really cold blooded, have thought about some type of "block" heater.