dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

On 8/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, TBRider said:

And yes the old tank is a 99 Suzuki king quad 300....

I have a friend's atv in my yard right now and he told me this weekend he wants to sell it , it is a Arctic Cat 2006 400 4wd , I think it might be a Suzuki with a  badge change , do you know when the Arctic Cats stopped using Suzuki engines ---- he told me he wants $1,000 for it , but I could have it for $500 ----here is a pic before he cleaned it up , it needs carb work 

YS1uLRqtSx2hYbHrdWdtew.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBRider said:

Just rolled over the 5000 km mark on the rubi......

Mine is a 2015 and just rolled over 3600 miles.

• Like 1

was it 2013, when the deal with Arctic Cat, and Suzuki broke ties ? on engines ? and that looks to be a liquid cooled engine ? i don't think i ever seen one those anywhere around here.... but those rims .... wow .. i don't like those at all... lol! but might be a deal for $500 ? is it belt driven ?

Went on a ride Saturday.  Had to do some last minute tinkering to get my 09 going.  It hasn't been ridden in over a year.  Needs a crank so it smokes when you get on it, but I had a buddy who needed a ride so I put a new battery on it and the start button didn't work. 

Fuses looked good, so swapped another solenoid on it.  No change.  Checked fuses with a test light and the 10A ignition fuse looked fine, but wasn't giving fire on both sides.  I pulled it and when I did one of side of the metal stayed down in the fuse block.  Put a new fuse in, and it turned over.  Had to use a shot of starter fluid to fire it off, and had to hold the throttle open a bit for about 20 seconds to get it to clear up, but after that it ran fine all day.

Nobody got stuck or broke anything for once.  I rode down a flooded drainage ditch a ways until a big submerged cypress knee almost tipped me, then I decided I didn't want to risk it anymore, and came out of it.  Was a pretty uneventful ride otherwise.  Perfect weather. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I have a friend's atv in my yard right now and he told me this weekend he wants to sell it , it is a Arctic Cat 2006 400 4wd , I think it might be a Suzuki with a  badge change , do you know when the Arctic Cats stopped using Suzuki engines ---- he told me he wants $1,000 for it , but I could have it for $500 ----here is a pic before he cleaned it up , it needs carb work 

YS1uLRqtSx2hYbHrdWdtew.jpg

Looks like it SHOULD be zuki, but right around the time AC transitioned away from Suzuki motors.

https://www.suzukiatvforums.com/threads/artic-cats-with-suzuki-motors.9841/

Here a couple of post I copied and pasted on the subject of Suzuki/Arctic Cat
From Jeeps link 

Ok ... In the interests of all, I did some research on my own, after being tired of hearing "I don't know" (then why say anything?), or to avoid your uncle or kissing cousin once rode ________ (fill in the blank) and he said it was __________.

It appears as though Arctic Cat started making their own ATV motors in 2007. All of the Acrtic Cat 650 and 700 V-Twin engines were Kawasaki motors. The 700 DOHC single is a Suzuki motor. All of the H1 and H2 SOHC engines are Arctic Cat's own (550, 650, 700, 951 V-Twin). Not sure about anything smaller than the 550. I'm not saying this is definitive. Maybe others can confirm.

As far as the smaller engines are concerned, like I said my 2004 Arctic Cat 400 motor and transmission was Suzuki supplied. Actually, from what I've read, these engines and transmissions were built in state of the art Chinese manufacturing facilities under Suzuki supervision..

My 2008 Arctic Cat 500 had a Suzuki engine & transmission in it and was bullet proof.
Ok ... In the interests of all, I did some research on my own, after being tired of hearing "I don't know" (then why say anything?), or to avoid your uncle or kissing cousin once rode ________ (fill in the blank) and he said it was __________.
I know a guy that has a 2004. Or maybe it was a 2003. Anyway it was some Arctic Cat, maybe a 300 or 400, It was red anyway but it had the motor out of my old 250 Quadrunner in it probably bored out to 300 like the machine was, It wasn't as fancy though, to shift in high low superlow you needed to reach down and pull a lever that was directly connected to the linkage and to shift 4wd you needed to reach down the other way and pull another lever that was directly connected to the linkage. But I don't really know. I never really looked at it.

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

was it 2013, when the deal with Arctic Cat, and Suzuki broke ties ? on engines ? and that looks to be a liquid cooled engine ? i don't think i ever seen one those anywhere around here.... but those rims .... wow .. i don't like those at all... lol! but might be a deal for $500 ? is it belt driven ?

Wilson , it is a 2006  400  ---- not sure on the liquid cool , have to look , never paid it too much never mind and it has been here in my yard for a couple of months now -----  $500 could be good for someone that don't have a bike , a money pit for someone like me , I don't want it , LOL 

• Like 2

oh my bad for missing that DOM.... lol!  looks like it has some sort of cooler up front, along with two lines coming from the engine,  but hard to make out from the pic. 

i washed what little mud i got on my trx450fm from my ride this sat. over protective ?..sure !..do i want to keep my toys looking new ?..dang right !..lol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PROV said:

Mine is a 2015 and just rolled over 3600 miles.

I have a 17 fs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh my bad for missing that DOM.... lol!  looks like it has some sort of cooler up front, along with two lines coming from the engine,  but hard to make out from the pic. 

It has a oil cooler and a radiator , belt drive ,  independent rear , receiver hitch and I am 90% sure I  got it sold for $500 to one of our friends , he is suppose to come over this evening or tomorrow to see it , this atv is better than what he has --------      battery went dead , tried to get some miles and hours 

o%5drJ8jT0a1SgunPgmaBw.jpg

XTdwyeqjTRaqH3a0oomf9A.jpg

X9kSY8s8QHShE7+YwhWrrw.jpg

• Like 2

Went out this morning and cleaned up my workbench, sorted through my extra knuckles and drove out the old ball joints and bearings on a few of them.  I'm trying to get to the point where I have a knuckle and upper a-arm ready to bolt on, so when me or one of the guys needs bearings/ball joints I can simply undo the lower shock mount, the upper a-arm, and knock the bottom ball joint loose, and swap the whole assembly out, so I want to have knuckles with new bearings and ball joints, and upper a-arms with a new ball joint and bushings installed and ready to go.

On that note, I also put new bushings and grease zerks in a set of upper a-arms, and drove out the old ball joints. 

Have to wait till I can make noise to put the new ball joints in, since the family was still asleep this morning.

Also ground the mushroom off the end of that CV I buggered up last week, and filed the threads so I could get the axle nut back on there, so it's ready to use now.

Did some general clean up on the workbench. 

With the days getting short now I'm going to be working in the shop a lot more.

• Like 2

Just walked in the garage. 4hr drive home. First 10 mins I had the mirrors swapped around the way they call for on the windscreen/fairing. Now I’ll be able to see behind me.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just refilled the gas tank on my Rancher for the final time this year. I noticed that it shows 6100 miles on the clock now... been boring owning and riding it, it never breaks down and rarely ever needs the tank refilled. But I ride it almost every day and neglect to wash the mud off it 'cept on very rare occasions. Got 5 others parked in my yard that ain't been nearly as boring... thankfully none of those bikes are mine! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/15/2020 at 7:49 AM, 01RUBY500 said:

Ol Ruby towed the big 40 ton out to the wood shed then just sat and watched me split wood for 2.5 hours, didn’t even ask to pitch in 🤪 so I made the Ol girl pull the 40 ton back up to the barn then go fetch a trailer load of wood and take it to the house. 

E80FD8CC-5686-48C4-ADD5-EBF4A511E622.jpeg

oh baby would I like that splitter!!...not really planning to burn this winter and have a good stack of well aged wood, but the days of hand splitting are aging out...and with a lot of fresh cut trees deep in my woods, I have to split them where they fall...man that'd be sweet..just a ways down on my toy money list.

This morning I continued my "get all my extra knuckles rebuilt" task I've been working on the last couple of days.

Basically I have a bunch of 420 knuckles and 500 knuckles on hand, so I'm replacing, if needed, ball joints and bearings in them.  A few have a good ball joint and just need the bearing.  A few didn't need either, but I went ahead and greased the bearing and ball joint, and some needed the full monte.

I will say I have a bit of sticker shock at how EXPENSIVE Honda parts have gotten over the last couple of years.   Ball joints have gone from $12 to $16.  Knuckles have almost tripled in price.  The plastic rotor guards have gone from $6 to about $15. 

I wonder if Honda decided they can make a lot more money on replacement parts than they can selling new machines?

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

This morning I continued my "get all my extra knuckles rebuilt" task I've been working on the last couple of days.

Basically I have a bunch of 420 knuckles and 500 knuckles on hand, so I'm replacing, if needed, ball joints and bearings in them.  A few have a good ball joint and just need the bearing.  A few didn't need either, but I went ahead and greased the bearing and ball joint, and some needed the full monte.

I will say I have a bit of sticker shock at how EXPENSIVE Honda parts have gotten over the last couple of years.   Ball joints have gone from $12 to $16.  Knuckles have almost tripled in price.  The plastic rotor guards have gone from $6 to about $15. 

I wonder if Honda decided they can make a lot more money on replacement parts than they can selling new machines?

prices have jumped for one reason, AND ONE REASON ONLY !, it's call this covid crap !..lol. i was at my local dealership the other day, show room was completely empty !!!, AND I MEAN NOT ANY ATVS IN IT !. i asked my parts guy where all the atvs at ?, he replied '' none are being shipped in because of the covid from over seas. so..if you think about it, if no parts are making it in to us ?, then what is on hand..THEY GONNA JACK THE PRICES WAY THE HECK UP !.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, shadetree said:

prices have jumped for one reason, AND ONE REASON ONLY !, it's call this covid crap !..lol. i was at my local dealership the other day, show room was completely empty !!!, AND I MEAN NOT ANY ATVS IN IT !. i asked my parts guy where all the atvs at ?, he replied '' none are being shipped in because of the covid from over seas. so..if you think about it, if no parts are making it in to us ?, then what is on hand..THEY GONNA JACK THE PRICES WAY THE HECK UP !.

I'm sure that's why Partzilla has jacked their prices up, but they've been easing up for a while now.  Long before Covid hit.

An 07-13 420 knuckle was about $80 4-5 years ago.  They're $240 now.

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I was always told they sell them for a third of what it costs to build them then make money on parts and labour.....

• Like 1

I do worry about parts availability at some point...I treat my old 300 pretty easy..no mudding, no hard riding..pulls a small utility trailer are times and occassionally a larger landscape trailer full of limbs etc...we don't have hills here, so trail riding is flat and easy.

for now, I've got an old Honda..built to run..and I hope it will last me the next 3-5 years at which point I'll be just old enough that I should consider giving it to the kids anyway.

• Like 1

The little princess woke up at 3:45 this morning, apparently hungry.  I fed her, changed her diaper, and then couldn't go back to sleep, so went to the shop about 4:45.

Got bearings pressed in all of my stash of 500 knuckles.  Need to order some more ball joints for them.  Also got another a-arm redone with new ball joint and a-arm bushings/sleeve/zerk.

Hopefully I can get my shop cleaned up, all my junky old parts cleaned up and rebuilt, and then once spring hits it will just be a matter of bolting all the rebuilt stuff onto a frame.

• Like 3

Got to the shop this morning and walked in to a mess.  Apparently the big oak right above my shop shed a big limb which went through the roof right over my workbench.

Took me an hour to clean it up.  Still have to get the log out of the roof.  Guess this will speed up my "need to reroof the shop" idea a little (it's needed a new roof for several years anyway)

Got workbench cleaned up, finished up greasing some knuckles and burning out some upper a-arm bushings that were worn out, then had to come to work.

Rebuilding an upper a-arm has gotten pricey.  Bushing sets are about $30 and with ball joints being $16 now, it's almost $100 to rebuild two upper a-arms.  When you figure in another $50 for bearings, and another $32 for lower ball joints, you're at almost two bills to redo the front end on a 500. 

I will say, burning the old bushings out with a torch is MUCH easier than trying to dremel/pry/cut the old bushings out.  A torch makes the process pretty easy.

Also, got these Rubicon wheels a couple of days ago.  Still have decent stocks on the rear wheels, fronts are worn pretty smooth.  Doesn't look like the wheels have been off the pavement.  Will almost pain me to paint them black.  Got them for $100

wheel.JPG

wheel2.JPG

roof.JPG

• Like 3