dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

This morning I hit the shop at a little after 5 again. Still slowly cleaning up so that I can hopefully get a frame in the shop and build it out.

Broke down a 350D brake backing plate and got the old shoes off, cam lever freed up and pushed out, seals out, and bearings out.  Have all of it soaking in the parts washer and will pack the bearings with fresh grease, install new seals, and new brake pads.

Then I went down another rabbit hole.  I have a couple of these old Warn 8274's that I've picked up in the last year, and after the amazing job @1080PowersportsPartsLLC did vapor honing a Jeep carb for me, I'm going to have him do the same to the housings on this old winch, but first I have to tear it down so the aluminum housings can be easily cleaned up.

This one came off of a late 70's Chevy 1 ton wrecker.  I'm pretty sure were I to hook it to a battery it would work perfectly fine, but I'm going to tear it down, clean it up, install new wires from motor to solenoid pack, and put new lower seals in the housing.

Not sure what the guy had in the gear box, but the gears look great.  Looks like a mixture of grease and oil/gear oil. 

winch.JPG

winch2.JPG

winch3.JPG

winch4.JPG

• Like 2

It had a yellowish thick grease, and reddish looking oil. I agree it looks like milky oil, but the texture was anything but water.  It was thick grease.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 1:43 AM, retro said:

I'm right across the lake from ya Prov, we were in the warm nose of that front and got stuck with about 1.5 inches of rain. I'd rather have your snow.

I'm not real fond of the winters you guys get. Been your way a few times. My son went to college in Houghton and married a nice gal from there 10 years ago. It is nice country up there though.

Edited by PROV
  • Like 1

i had one those 8274 and that's not winch gear box oil, i agree looks like it's a grease oil mix. but those are great heavy duty winches! i think fish had one of the back, and one front of his built up ford ? 

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

It had a yellowish thick grease, and reddish looking oil. I agree it looks like milky oil, but the texture was anything but water.  It was thick grease.

20 years of hot cold temps will do that....

I think I have 5 of them now.  Have two mounted on Jeeps, and when I get a really nice, completely restored one, it will go on Dad's Jeep.

Have one for a trailer, and one for parts.

They're supposed to take 30WT non-detergent oil.

If you want to see some really cool stuff, look at the mods they make for them https://gigglepin4x4.net/winch-parts--upgrades-218-c.asp

• Like 2

five ? wow, if you ever choose to sell one, let me know, I'd like to have one on my xj jeep,  I,ve already got the aluminum warn bumper, roller fairleads, hooks, but, someone walked off with my winch, several years ago. 

pic is for reference. 

image.jpg

Yep, I really need to get the bolts welded on mine.  One of my buddies had someone steal his a while back.  Pricey and easy to steal if you don't weld/lock them down.

If I see another cheap one for sale I'll let you know.  I usually get them rough and cheap, and fix them up.  They're easy to work on.  If you watch FB and craigslist look for "warren winch, Warn Wench, warren wench etc"  People can't spell so that means sometimes you can find the cheap ones quicker than others who are only searching "warn winch"

One of my Jeeping buddies has started making reproduction decals, motor to solenoid wires and boots, and freespool knobs so those of us who are weirdos can have the proper "vintage" look on a restored winch.

The one in my parts cleaner now is going to go to 1080 for a vapor hone, then get new stickers, new motor wires, a new solenoid cover, and new cable.  It will look like a new, late 70's winch when I get through with it.   Then it's going on Dad's Scrambler.

• Like 1

Yep, I really need to get the bolts welded on mine.  One of my buddies had someone steal his a while back.  Pricey and easy to steal if you don't weld/lock them down.

yeah, i had thought about that, plus the bumber mounting bolts after being flagged down a couple times in columbia, a few guys had asked me what I'd take for the setup (bumper and all) i got longer mounting bolts to extend thr threaded end out of the square nuts (4) on the backside of the winch, along with bumper mounting bolts and not he'd them with a cold chisel, i should have known better then to lieve it at the shop, but, being it was so close to my father house, plus a long drive way, and the weight of the winch, plus a full spool of galvanized air craft cable the thought of theft never crossed my mind, then as more people moved in theft started getting worse, like you, on those four tires, i just had to write that off. 

If I see another cheap one for sale I'll let you know.  I usually get them rough and cheap, and fix them up.  They're easy to work on.  If you watch FB and craigslist look for "warren winch, Warn Wench, warren wench etc"  People can't spell so that means sometimes you can find the cheap ones quicker than others who are only searching "warn winch"

One of my Jeeping buddies has started making reproduction decals, motor to solenoid wires and boots, and freespool knobs so those of us who are weirdos can have the proper "vintage" look on a restored winch.

much thanks jeep, i always like that tuff Bad a-- winch, with my Mobil ham, and radio setup i was always listening when bad weather was moving in,  i put her to use over winter months, and storm season winching stranded drivers and tree out of the way, i never charged a penny, but was offered payment from by drivers,mand Muary fire for pulling trees out of the road so they get on scene of a call, i was always out about when weather turned nasty, so i was usually first on scene of a downed tree, in my area. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 5:34 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

great pics, do you know any history of the log building ? 

I don't know much about it but I am looking for more info. So far I've learned it was still standing and was occupied into the 60's but I'm searching for more info!

• Thanks 1

My next ride up I'll take some more detailed shots. I've spent over 20 years building log homes so I check out these older ones every chance I get.

• Like 1

@Akunin this is my old smoke house, i don't have mu h history on this old building, but i have been told the logs came off this place way back when,  i spent alot time stacking wood fire wood in there, but, i don't any longer, the structure isn't as safe as it used to be. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Still wrestling trying to get the brake off of that Warn winch.  There's a bronze bushing on the brake shaft that is hard to get to let loose on the bottom gear housing.  I'm going to have to cut some wooden wedges to drive down in there to force it out.  With a cast aluminum gear housing you have to be careful or you'll shatter it, and replacement parts on these things are $$$.

Need to clean out my parts washer again, it's gotten disgusting.  Dark, dirty, with a layer of muck on the bottom.  My pump isn't putting out much either so going to replace the filter I added to the lines.

On the Honda side, I got a pinion bearing out of a 500 diff this morning.   Welded a big bolt to the outer bearing race, and then spun it so that it was loose in the bore, then tapped it out of the back ala "D-ray" on youtube.

My welding skills stink, so had to try it several times before I got the bolt attached to the bearing race.  My auto darkening Amazon special helmet didn't auto darken either, so I basically was trying to weld by feel.  LOL

On another note, I got a set of Foreman takeoffs with good tires cheap night before last.  Kid had them for $85, and threw in about 10 extra wheels.  One extra front 12" wheel, and the rest were old 11" 300 wheels.  No good tires, but I did get 1/2 dozen center caps with them.

Only problem with that deal was the takeoffs ended up being for IRS (newer Foreman Rubicon).  Still though, tires are good, and I'll get some used rear SRA wheels and sell these IRS rear wheels to my buddy who has 2 420AT's for his kids.  They'll need tires at some point, and when they do he'll want to put 12" wheels on the rear, so these will be perfect.

tires.jpg

• Like 3

Also got this back up and running this weekend. Wife sprung for it too!

i remember when kegs were $65.

That one cost about $150

A2688F60-42EE-4DFD-95D5-B7C4BDA381AC.jpeg

• Like 5

Chris Clark.  Seems he is not into doing clean work. What’s up with the grind marks?  He must not drill them to save time.   Never seen any one run them with no springs yet.  

image.png

Jeremy Lee/Reduction Boss 60% , cleanest reduction out there ---I am running his primary and I done the drilling and tapping threads myself , it is quiet , hear people say his is the quietest , because of the one piece primary , he is the only one that does it , everyone else is welding gears together 

• Like 4

On 11/21/2020 at 5:06 PM, Fishfiles said:

Chris Clark.  Seems he is not into doing clean work. What’s up with the grind marks?  He must not drill them to save time.   Never seen any one run them with no springs yet.  

On the 15 apparently the holes don’t line up just right, so ended up being kind of a PITA for him to do. 

First 15 he’s done for a 500, and it spins smoothly on a motor, so don’t care what it looks like so long as it works!

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

On the 15 apparently the holes don’t line up just right, so ended up being kind of a PITA for him to do. 

First 15 he’s done for a 500, and it spins smoothly on a motor, so don’t care what it looks like so long as it works!

I don't have a lot of faith in him  , I know all about Chris's first attempt's first hand , he built the 450 lift kit for me , it was a  total failure , cost me so much time , effort and money , he sent the kit looking terrible cosmetically , I had to grind and sand welds , ball joint pads were improperly machined and wouldn't accept the snap rings , helm joints popped from improper alignment , cv-shaft kept pooping out the diff  and then I lost  $300  plus $55 freight to send it back to Chris 

Reduction Boss /Jeremy Lee is the only builder I would trust ---- I seen a welded primary come un-welded and it done a lot of damage 

Reduction Boss :

PSA: the standard 420/500 14.5% and 27.5% primary has been replaced with a billet 20%. Only available at Reduction Boss. Thanks for all the continued support from our awesome customers!
No photo description available.

I rode it...the end.  grin

ok...front tires do tend to get low...but quick pump up ...amazing that you just touch the start button on this 27yr old beastie and it jumps to life...gawd I love this old 300 !!

rode out back to pull trail cam cards, and just did some laps around the property on my trails...mid 60s temp...just felt so great...good therapy.

• Like 2

Time will tell on the GR Fish.  IIRC Chris has done a lot of 300 stuff, but hadn't ever built a 450 lift.  A lot of guys in the 300 world swear by his GR's.

As far as Reduction Boss, yeah those solid gears are nice, but they're $$$ too. 

Been doing through some rear differentials.  Got a 300 rear end in that big trailer load of parts I got a couple of months ago, and got that diff rebuilt, and have the rear end partially reassembled (waiting on brake pads).

Got the pinion bearing replaced on an old 500 rear diff, have OEM bearings to go in it and ordered a new ring and pinion for it.

Got the pinion bearing replaced this morning on what I thought was another 500 rear diff, but then the pinon bearing I had for it was too big.  Tried a 300 pinion bearing and it fit, so I've figured out that it's a 400/450 Foreman rear diff.

The 450 and 500 Ring gears appear to be the same.  The pinion gears, however, are different.  The 400/450 pinion bearing is the same as a 300  https://thebigbearingstore.com/atv-pinion-bearing-nk14x24-5x15/

while the 05-11 Foreman and 05-14 Rubicon pinion bearing is bigger     https://thebigbearingstore.com/atv-pinion-bearing-nk15x25x17/

They are both 13 tooth pinion gears, but they have different sized pinion bearings so they aren't interchangeable. 

So I'll need a 450 rear coupler to go with this 450 rear diff, and then it should work fine in my 500's. 

Replacing those pinion bearings is a royal pain in the rear, but once you do it the first time, getting that dang circlip out, after that future bearing replacements should be much easier.

• Like 1