dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

On 11/18/2020 at 8:46 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

@Akunin this is my old smoke house, i don't have mu h history on this old building, but i have been told the logs came off this place way back when,  i spent alot time stacking wood fire wood in there, but, i don't any longer, the structure isn't as safe as it used to be. 

image.jpg

Oh yeah! Nice! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Got after it again this morning after going to the in-laws for Thanksgiving.

I'm deep in diffs.

Have the diff out of the wreck (my 09, bought new, that my sister wrecked).  I hit some ruts hard while duck hunting and blew the ujoint.  Before I discovered it was the ujoint, I removed the rear diff and took it apart, figuring the diff had grenaded. Turns out the diff was ok, and the ujoint had exploded.   The problem is, when I tried to put the diff back together, the teeth dragged.  I figured I had the shims in backwards, so I swapped them.  Same thing.  This was a while ago, and I just swapped in a different diff and this one went on the shelf for a while.

So this morning I got out my calipers and my pile of shims.  Even with the thickest shim in my stash (.083 in, or 2.12MM) the teeth drag against one another.  If I push in on the ring gear just barely, the teeth spin smoothly.  So I think I might order one size up on the shim and see if that works.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why the original shims didn't work.  I made sure the bearings were pressed all the way into the cases, but I still get a little drag in one spot.  Teeth are prefect on ring gear and pinion gear.  I dunno.  Going to try a 2.16 shim and hopefully that will get it.  Machine only had 2K miles on it when the ujoint went.  I was spinning at high RPMs and the rear wheels dropped into a rut and caught, and that shock is what blew the ujoint.  Diff bearings are original and tight, inside of the diff was clean.

I went ahead and installed a new pinion gear in my other 500 diff.  Got new ring gear bearings (Koyo) pressed into the cases.  Waiting on the ring gear to arrive.  It shipped on the 23rd, was in Little Rock on the 25th, and says it won't be here till Wed.  They must have dropped it off at Shade's for a few days.....lol.

Got the two case bearings installed on the 400/450 rear diff.  I need to order a pinion gear for that one, but have the bearings and seals done in the case halves, and have the pinion bearing and seal, just need the pinion gear.

I had another 300 rear diff case I found in a bucket of diesel, where I put it to soak probably a year or more ago.  Pulled that out and got the old bearings and seals out, including the pinion needle bearing.  Got a new pinion needle bearing installed, but now I have to get new gears and bearings for the rest of it.  The one I usually get is out of stock, so will probably wait till they're available again before I can fix this one.

Lastly, I got a stretched swingarm for a 300 from a local guy.  I tried dremeling and welding the old swingarm races, and they're being stubborn.  Ran out of time and had to get ready for work so that thing is sitting in my vice waiting on my return.

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Got after it again this morning after going to the in-laws for Thanksgiving.

I'm deep in diffs.

Have the diff out of the wreck (my 09, bought new, that my sister wrecked).  I hit some ruts hard while duck hunting and blew the ujoint.  Before I discovered it was the ujoint, I removed the rear diff and took it apart, figuring the diff had grenaded. Turns out the diff was ok, and the ujoint had exploded.   The problem is, when I tried to put the diff back together, the teeth dragged.  I figured I had the shims in backwards, so I swapped them.  Same thing.  This was a while ago, and I just swapped in a different diff and this one went on the shelf for a while.

So this morning I got out my calipers and my pile of shims.  Even with the thickest shim in my stash (.083 in, or 2.12MM) the teeth drag against one another.  If I push in on the ring gear just barely, the teeth spin smoothly.  So I think I might order one size up on the shim and see if that works.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why the original shims didn't work.  I made sure the bearings were pressed all the way into the cases, but I still get a little drag in one spot.  Teeth are prefect on ring gear and pinion gear.  I dunno.  Going to try a 2.16 shim and hopefully that will get it.  Machine only had 2K miles on it when the ujoint went.  I was spinning at high RPMs and the rear wheels dropped into a rut and caught, and that shock is what blew the ujoint.  Diff bearings are original and tight, inside of the diff was clean.

I went ahead and installed a new pinion gear in my other 500 diff.  Got new ring gear bearings (Koyo) pressed into the cases.  Waiting on the ring gear to arrive.  It shipped on the 23rd, was in Little Rock on the 25th, and says it won't be here till Wed.  They must have dropped it off at Shade's for a few days.....lol.

Got the two case bearings installed on the 400/450 rear diff.  I need to order a pinion gear for that one, but have the bearings and seals done in the case halves, and have the pinion bearing and seal, just need the pinion gear.

I had another 300 rear diff case I found in a bucket of diesel, where I put it to soak probably a year or more ago.  Pulled that out and got the old bearings and seals out, including the pinion needle bearing.  Got a new pinion needle bearing installed, but now I have to get new gears and bearings for the rest of it.  The one I usually get is out of stock, so will probably wait till they're available again before I can fix this one.

Lastly, I got a stretched swingarm for a 300 from a local guy.  I tried dremeling and welding the old swingarm races, and they're being stubborn.  Ran out of time and had to get ready for work so that thing is sitting in my vice waiting on my return.

bearings in rear diff wrong bearings ?, or you did not press them back into the case correctly ?. races in swing arm: do what i do...drill a 1/2 hole in left side, use a long bar stuck in there, all the way to tin cup, hammer it out !. once right side is out, reverse the process to hammer the left race out. nope, no packages have came here ?..ya sure ya got the right address ?..rofl..

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

bearings in rear diff wrong bearings ?, or you did not press them back into the case correctly ?. races in swing arm: do what i do...drill a 1/2 hole in left side, use a long bar stuck in there, all the way to tin cup, hammer it out !. once right side is out, reverse the process to hammer the left race out. nope, no packages have came here ?..ya sure ya got the right address ?..rofl..

The bearings are original, and I didn’t remove them. I took the diff out a couple of years ago, took it in half, discovered the ring and pinion were fine, so I put it back together. Like I said, I thought I might have gotten the shims backwards but it’s the same either way 

Worked more on rear ends this morning.  Got a new ring gear in yesterday for the other 500 diff on the bench.  Put it in, and just like the other one, it needs a thicker shim than any of what I have, so going to order some shims today.

Put some brake pads on the 350d rear end I have to go in a 300.  Drum won't go on without some banging and/or turning so will have to wait till it's mounted to get the drum in place.

Did the same with a stock 300 rear end, same issue with the drum LOL

This one's for you @shadetree.  Thing this 300 was a mud bike?

shadetree.JPG

shadetree2.JPG

• Like 3

This morning I finally got my lazy butt up.  I've had my alarm set for 5AM for the better part of a week, but I've been thinking about how cold the shop's going to be, so I've shut the alarm off and gone back to sleep.

This morning I finally got up, went out to the shop.  Got the last three sets of new A-arm bushings installed on some extra 500 upper arms (new ball joints and zerks were already in).

Then I pressed out some wheel studs from some old 300 hubs that had shark-tooth syndrome on the splines, and pressed them into the good hubs that for some reason didn't have any studs in them.  Had to order the flat washer that goes on the outer side of the diff, and that came in with the bushings so got the diff side of the axle put back together (oring, flat washer, spacer, two lock nuts, hub) and then cleaned up that 300 drum cover pictured above, only to discover it had a hole worn in it and was useless (which of course I didn't discover until AFTER I'd cleaned it up and gotten the old seal out).

Have shims ordered for those rear diffs I was working on above, but only one came in.  The thick ones I think I need are backordered.

• Like 3

Woke up this morning to some cold temps overnight, so I decided that maybe everything was frozen enough to plow, fired up the old king quad, put it in gear and she was locked up solid, so I tried rocking it back and forth to get it to move but the rear brake drum was about 1/3 full of mud and water that had frozen, well after a few minutes of jerking back and forth I managed to snap a rear axle.  Two hours later rear axle swapped out for another and on to plowing the driveway again, kinda glad it happened today instead of a storm day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TBRider said:

Woke up this morning to some cold temps overnight, so I decided that maybe everything was frozen enough to plow, fired up the old king quad, put it in gear and she was locked up solid, so I tried rocking it back and forth to get it to move but the rear brake drum was about 1/3 full of mud and water that had frozen, well after a few minutes of jerking back and forth I managed to snap a rear axle.  Two hours later rear axle swapped out for another and on to plowing the driveway again, kinda glad it happened today instead of a storm day.

I've had water in the rear diff freeze a few times during duck season when it was real cold overnight. 

• Like 1

I went in the brook in the fall and forgot to check it before the cold weather hit, first time in 5 years it leaked badly

Not much done over the weekend.  Our anniversary was yesterday, and wife has been getting the house ready for Christmas so I hung close to the house most of the weekend.

I did FINALLY get my extra Jeep engine out of my M416 trailer so I can put it back in use.  I picked up the trailer for $375 from a guy down in DFW Texas about 15 years ago.  Great little trailers, light enough to move around easily when empty, will haul a ton of weight with one.  Perfect trailer to pull behind a Jeep.  Picture is one I nabbed off the web.  Mine has a tailgate cut in the rear, and a bulldog hitch on it now in place of the factory lunette, so not much collector value, but perfect for my uses.

About 4-5 years ago a guy in Memphis had a 258 out of a CJ for $150.  Said it ran, no smoke, had a slight oil leak from the rear main (all 258's leak from rear main, if they aren't leaking there, there's no oil in the engine).   He'd swapped in a V8.

I drove the truck to Memphis, loaded the engine in the bed using the guy's hoist in his shop (nice iron bar with a hoist on rollers in the ceiling), and got it home. 

Borrowed a buddy's tractor with a boom pole, got it out of the truck and into my trailer, where it's been sitting for a long time with tarp over it.   Sold the A/C compressor, alternator, and brackets for $85, and the factory carb for $75, so have nothing in the engine, intake and exhaust.  Figure when I need an engine I can build that one and once it's done, then swap it in, so the Jeep can stay usable while I'm going through the engine.  

Harbor Fright had their 2 ton engine cranes on sale, so I got one, and figured I'd finally get that engine out of my trailer where I can use the trailer again.

Originally planned on putting it in a stand in my shop, but I have limited room,  so moved to to farm shop instead.

Got that thing unloaded yesterday morning.  Have it sitting on a pallet with the oil pan sitting in an old tire, need to go back out and wrap it up tight to keep it clean.

My 300 supplier hit me up again, said he has 3-4 bottom ends, two frames, two gas tanks, and a 350D rear axle, hubs, and tube for $100, so I'll pull that trailer out to his place and use it to get the stuff sometime in the next week or two.

Also got the old swingarm bearing races out of a stretched 300 swingarm I picked up a few weeks ago.  Used a dremel to cut the race, then an air hammer to knock them loose/spin them and get them out.   Removing swingarm bearing races is always a PITA.  Glad I got it down though.

M416.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Our anniversary was yesterday

M416.png

Happy Anniversary !! What you gave  her ,?  Something for her bike -- LOL 

I been working on one of my clients to sell me a generator , he's dad bought 10 surplus , Army issue 50 KW diesel on a dually  wheel trailer just like that trailer you pic'ed , I learned a few things about those generators , they put out 208 volts , but I went to You-Tube and then bought $10 worth of wire and lugs  , rewired it in 15 minutes and it puts out 230Volts and I was clueless on how to do it  , planned to use as a whole house generator and keep or sell the trailer 

• Like 1

The 50KW I mentioned  looks almost exactly like this video , except on a tandem wheel trailer , I can get all the diesel I want , we don't have natural gas in my neighborhood 

• Like 1

A MEP006A uses about 6 gals/hour at full load.  Of course, with a set that big you'd probably never need anywhere near full load, but then you run into wet stacking if you're running a lot more gen than you need.

That's a LOT of generator to be running and fueling, unless you're planning on powering several houses at once with it.

I nosed around looking at an oddball military genset a few years ago.  Ended up passing on it because it was an oddbal 400HZ unit that was apparently used for starting aircraft. 

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/MEP002A_vs_MEP003A/17-678007/?

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep-004a-vs-civ-generator.98184/

50 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Happy Anniversary !! What you gave  her ,?  Something for her bike -- LOL 

I been working on one of my clients to sell me a generator , he's dad bought 10 surplus , Army issue 50 KW diesel on a dually  wheel trailer just like that trailer you pic'ed , I learned a few things about those generators , they put out 208 volts , but I went to You-Tube and then bought $10 worth of wire and lugs  , rewired it in 15 minutes and it puts out 230Volts and I was clueless on how to do it  , planned to use as a whole house generator and keep or sell the trailer 

Ha, she hasn't ridden her rancher in about 2 years. 

She got a new hair dryer.  Dang thing was $400 new 😲   

I got a refurb for half that.  Supposedly she'll be able to dry her hair in 3-4 mins vs the 20 mins it takes now.

Still though....a dang HAIRDRYER!

She was happy.  I got a new Craftsman drill press in return, so all around everyone is happy.  LOL

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Goober,  are you going for the social distancing champ? Looks like you might win.....lol

• Like 4

I plowed for awhile today. Pretty exciting huh? Gonna take it icefishing tomorrow.

• Like 3

sigh, I'm lazy, or I'm I'm going to be over the next few days, i just started both of mine, and moved the battery tender to the other 300. 

• Like 1

Well I took my Rubicon icefishing today. 9" thick so plenty of ice. Sure beats dragging a sled by hand. Snowstorm on the way tonight so put the plow back on. For you guys down south, the picture is a sleeper fish house we stayed in a couple years ago on Lake of the Woods 8 miles off shore.

IMG_20180121_154443581.jpg

• Like 7

Me and the college boy did some riding on a rare 50° day. He leaves in a week so it felt good to get out together.

20210103_124101.jpg

• Like 3

Not what I did to my ATV but what I did to maintain it.  Today I went and picked up some tools.  Impact sockets for the impact wrench that is on it's way, some wrenches and various plier type implements (cutters, needle-nosed, etc).  Most of these items I already had but was starting to miss a size here or there.  I took advantage of some sales and made some purchases.  This will also allow me to make a toolbox to keep in my vehicle when I go riding.

Gassed up and geared up for a ride tomorrow in my hunting country. About 8" of snow. Mostly sightseeing and exploring. Hope to cover 30 miles or so. Supposed to get to 34 degrees so should be an excellent day.

• Like 1

I took the fenders off my latest 300 acquisition.  Found it's a 3rd gen, has a funky winch plate welded to the frame, and the front diff is shot as well as the rear.  Engine did start up and run, and doesn't smoke, so it has that going for it!

It's gonna take some work for sure, but I mainly wanted the fenders and tank, so I'm glad I snagged it.

I also went through the trailer load of parts I got from the same guy.  $100.  Got two frames (junk), two 1st gen gas tanks (serviceable), a set of newer style 300 flares (left rear is chewed up on the back, others are good), a half dozen junked OEM carbs (meh), a 250BR diff with good gears, needs bearings, another 250BR diff with bad gears (useless unless someone starts making gear sets for them, but will keep just in case).  a welded 250BR axle/ring gear (LOL), a 300 rear diff case (no gears), a good 300 rear axle,  4 cylinders (need bores), two good heads/ 1 junk head, several valve covers, 4 bottom ends in various states of disassembly (3 4wd, 1 2wd).  So, basically I got a bunch of junk, but given the price, I did ok.

Anybody know what these carbs fit?

350.jpg

3501.jpg

3502.jpg

3503.jpg

3504.jpg

3505.jpg

3506.jpg

• Like 1