dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Installed at second plow on my 86 TRX350 —intended for my other 86.

and then installed a gun carrier on my CanAm.

B4A11DB7-C15D-4B28-9C20-1A8A512FF627.jpeg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

Which one did you have that didn't last long?

No name China Junk.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Goober said:

Installed at second plow on my 86 TRX350 —intended for my other 86.

and then installed a gun carrier on my CanAm.

I'm looking at the various gun totin' options for my atv.  The rack/handlebar carriers, one's like yours, etc.  Did you pick that one because of the distance you may travel?  I'd worry that if I noticed a deer while riding, it would take me took long to retrieve my rifle, and maybe too much motion.  Do you have thoughts on that?

I bought it because i wanted to keep my front carrier clear and to keep my gun dry. 
I don’t like slinging it over my shoulder while I’m riding. Rules are you can’t drive with a loaded gun anyway.

I usually ride to a stalking point and then i dismount. I like the idea of hunting and shooting from the trail, but I don’t hunt that way.

This gun case seems to be a little high for the average person to remove it; sofar it closes pretty tight too. Gun fits well tho. But yes until i work with it more this thing could be noisy.

10 hours ago, Goober said:

I bought it because i wanted to keep my front carrier clear and to keep my gun dry. 
I don’t like slinging it over my shoulder while I’m riding. Rules are you can’t drive with a loaded gun anyway.

I usually ride to a stalking point and then i dismount. I like the idea of hunting and shooting from the trail, but I don’t hunt that way.

This gun case seems to be a little high for the average person to remove it; sofar it closes pretty tight too. Gun fits well tho. But yes until i work with it more this thing could be noisy.

I wouldn't carry my rifle in sling mode either.  Seems clunky and a way to make a mistake or get damage.

When driving to my stand in the morning, it would be too dark to actually hunt, but back to the cabin for lunch and back to my stand for the evening hunt I do go by some good spots.  However, I am always thinking that if I see a nice buck that's within range that I'd stop and consider it.  Would this really happen?  Chances are low, actually.

• Like 1

Not finding anything on the market to suit my needs, I built this for my M1A some years back. Muzzle pointed down to the right because when riding on two way trails, it points away from traffic. I don't ride with a round chambered, but in case I forget, I put a metal plate there to deaden a bullet if accidentally discharged. I put foam in where it sits so the rifle sits snug and mounted rubber tube on the bottom of the base to prevent rattle and shock. I can mount the whole rig on either rack and in different positions.

I carry this in addition to my primary hunting .338 winmag rifle in a Kolpin carrier. I like I can get to it quick for sudden encounters by a grab and flip of a bungie. Bears for example. "Jippo rigged" as my logger father would say, but it suits my needs. I have a picture on my profile page with this config on my Ruby.

Downside, it gets mud on the muzzle, so I have a little polyester sleeve I put over it sometimes. Once I lost control of the old King Quad it is pictured on. It rolled over 7 times down a hill and broke the stock. Ran with a folding stock for awhile but didn't like.

Matanuska-Susitna-20120520-00894.jpg

Matanuska-Susitna-20120520-00897.jpg

• Like 4

I like the M1A!

Most of my riding is with a shotgun, and I just tuck the muzzle in, pointed down, inside of my right foot.  That's how I get to and from the duck hole.  Case is neoprene so mud/water doesn't get through it, and I hold it in place with my leg.

Of course, I don't have far to go to get to the duck hole (about 1/4 mile from my house).

About the only other thing I carry on the wheelers is a 22, and I have a 10/22 Takedown for that.  Just strap the case to the front rack with bungees.

Father in Law has one of those Kolpin jobs.  They're nice, but they're HUGE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i use  this shoulder scabbard ... i hardly ever use the gun mount on the front, but the scabbard will fit, water proof, easy to pull the gun out while it's over my shoulder, or in the rack, as for my other long guns... i don't hardly ever take them out of the gun safe... not to happy with the vibration to the scopes having one mounted right in a gun case, or rack, with no padding but this way mine never sees any mud, water (except on the stock) i see yours is foam cushioned nice option, Tim. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i use  this shoulder scabbard ... i hardly ever use the gun mount on the front, but the scabbard will fit, water proof, easy to pull the gun out while it's over my shoulder, or in the rack, as for my other long guns... i don't hardly ever take them out of the gun safe... not to happy with the vibration to the scopes having one mounted right in a gun case, or rack, with no padding but this way mine never sees any mud, water (except on the stock) i see yours is foam cushioned nice option, Tim. 

The vibrations have been a concern of mine.  It's the reason why I may go against my initial thoughts and try what you are doing.  I'll have a handlebar or front rack mount for resting, but I'll have to see how I transport.

mine works just fine, and if i have to leave the bike ... leaves my hands free .... also having a shoulder scabbard .... the gun is not on rack to get smacked by limbs brush etc ... but i treat this one like i do all guns new and  my old antique guns very carefully! besides my pistols .. this is my go to problem solver, but if i choose to hunt, i can usually step out on the pouch and pic one off, lol. no bait needed. bit of a topic change, so.... 

you might also  heck these threads for gun carrry ideas https://atvhonda.com/topic/170-forum-hunters/

https://atvhonda.com/topic/174-firearms/

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Thanks for the links Wilson, will check them out when I have a chance. Concerning vibration, I screwed on some rubber tube under the base to dampen things out. Stops the annoying sound of the rounds rattling in the mag. That said, this is an un-scoped battle rifle. Used as a club as it's secondary function.

Matanuska-Susitna-20120520-00907.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

Thanks for the links Wilson, will check them out when I have a chance. Concerning vibration, I screwed on some rubber tube under the base to dampen things out. Stops the annoying sound of the rounds rattling in the mag. That said, this is an un-scoped battle rifle. Used as a club as it's secondary function.

Matanuska-Susitna-20120520-00907.jpg

With ammo prices being what they are these days, a lot of folks are going to be clubbing if things get dicey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:45 PM, WonderMonkey said:

The vibrations have been a concern of mine.  It's the reason why I may go against my initial thoughts and try what you are doing.  I'll have a handlebar or front rack mount for resting, but I'll have to see how I transport.

Here is a picture of my scabbard mounted. Have mounted like this for 16 years. Never lost zero on a scope and it has went through some very rough country. I only use the hitch pin to hold the butt end of scabbard while trailering. Otherwise I have the bungee on there with some knotted paracord. Just yank cord and drop the cover. You can swing the gun out without dismounting or while dismounting. It is mounted inside the fenders so it doesn't snag.

IMG_20191019_162140423.jpg

IMG_20191025_150017414.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PROV said:

Here is a picture of my scabbard mounted. Have mounted like this for 16 years. Never lost zero on a scope and it has went through some very rough country. I only use the hitch pin to hold the butt end of scabbard while trailering. Otherwise I have the bungee on there with some knotted paracord. Just yank cord and drop the cover. You can swing the gun out without dismounting or while dismounting. It is mounted inside the fenders so it doesn't snag.

IMG_20191025_150017414.jpg

It appears as if that trailer has been through the rough trails as well.  How happy are you with that?

That’s how I have my Kolpin boot mounted. Works good. Vibrations haven’t affected my scope. However my Rem 700 doesn’t fit well in there. 45-70 & others perfect. 

6EC8A22F-96DE-42BA-B63B-2B64B8B520BF.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

It appears as if that trailer has been through the rough trails as well.  How happy are you with that?

Trailer works very well. Haul my gear into camp, firewood, deer etc. Has high clearance but no springs. The tires are wide enough to stay on top of the crapp. Will haul 1500#. Brand is Polar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wheeler said:

That’s how I have my Kolpin boot mounted. Works good. Vibrations haven’t affected my scope. However my Rem 700 doesn’t fit well in there. 45-70 & others perfect. 

I have a Remington 700 as well.  I'm hoping I can find a few boots locally and take my rifle with me to test out.  Did yours have the inner sleeve?  I think most of them do.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PROV said:

Trailer works very well. Haul my gear into camp, firewood, deer etc. Has high clearance but no springs. The tires are wide enough to stay on top of the crapp. Will haul 1500#. Brand is Polar.

Thanks.  I had one that looked like that for work around my yard, but it turned out to be cheaply made.  I'll look that one up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I have a Remington 700 as well.  I'm hoping I can find a few boots locally and take my rifle with me to test out.  Did yours have the inner sleeve?  I think most of them do.

yes sleeve is there. My 700 doesn’t fit the best because I have a Magpul Hunter stock & 5x25x50 Burris...

• Like 1

Just now, Wheeler said:

yes sleeve is there. My 700 doesn’t fit the best because I have a Magpul Hunter stock & 5x25x50 Burris...

I would say my scope is about standard size.  Thanks for the info.

42° today and took the time to throw down a few miles on the XX. Well ended up riding  around 44 miles and was a great way to unwind.

20210129_140925-01.jpeg

20210129_140020-01.jpeg

20210129_144845-01.jpeg

• Like 7