dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

15 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I have.  I'm not sure I NEED it, but only time will tell. 

Finding a caming buddy with a ATV  would help .... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Yes it would.  Right now my main outdoors buddy doesn't have one.  I'm hoping to show him how fun it is and he finds a way to get one.

Even if it's a non ES one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

hm, wheeler might be the ticket, if you can adopt him ? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

hm, wheeler might be the ticket, if you can adopt him ? 

If he also washes dishes, cleans the house, and cooks sometimes, the wife would agree to this.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:28 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Cleaned the carb float needle seat again, this time with some small dremel honing stones, then a qtip with polishing compound, and even used a needle and float from another carb I had.

Same thing. 

So I just swapped out the other carb.  No more leak. 

Need to get a magnifying glass.  Must have a tiny gouge or imperfection in the needle seat I can't see with my horrible eyesight.

In the meantime, at least THAT part is fixed.  Now I have to get back into the "pulling back and forth" issue it had last time I had it out, which I suspect is a bearing hanging up periodically.

Maybe bad float? How do the float towers look—alignment, shaft holes 

On 2/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, Goober said:

Maybe bad float? How do the float towers look—alignment, shaft holes 

I swapped floats with a spare carb, and the shaft holes/alignment looked good on both.

The spare carb doesn't leak, and that's with the needle and float from the original carb. 

• Like 1

Have about 11” of snow on the ground.  Huge for the area.  Pulled kid on sled with the 450. 

tires were throwing impressive rooster tails swerving in snow

64088905-3BC6-4CD9-9581-3A33743F911B.jpeg

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 6

My wife is an RN and hasn’t been able to leave the hospital since Sunday because of the ice. So I made the 18 mile round trip to town on my side by side to get her. Winched two stuck vehicles on the way. Had to sink it in a ditch so I could pull. 

When I began to pull that big suv, the front of it dropped off the side of the road into that ditch.  It was everything my 4K warn could do to pull it.  I figured the line would snap.  That red line the guy is stretching out is some synthetic line I replaced the steel cable with about a year ago.  It came from amazon and I wasn't sure of the quality.  But it held.

4C08F75A-B2FC-409E-AF9A-F1D525BFF4FE.jpeg

6D45E362-F0B2-46B0-B9F0-FA4D7562DEB2.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

Have about 11” of snow on the ground.  Huge for the area.  Pulled kid on sled with the 450. 

tires were throwing impressive rooster tails swerving in snow

64088905-3BC6-4CD9-9581-3A33743F911B.jpeg

looks y'all had a good time, how are you liking that moose shifter ? 

21 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looks y'all had a good time, how are you liking that moose shifter ? 

Its very handy to have. Brother flipped it forward. NOt sure if I like it like that or not.

you can always adjust the foot shifter spline to shaft alinement and fine tune the long lever to what you like, i had mine splined one tooth down when i was using the moose lever shifter. whille i was hauling firewood, when my back issue went away, i stopped using the shift lever, and  splined the foot shifter one spline above stock, so i could get my boots to work good with the foot shifter angle. 

87  , did you know that the Moose hand shifter comes in two lengths , that's a 15 inch in your pic , I have a 22 inch on my 450 and 15 inch  on my 300s 

image.png

fullsizeoutput_e40.jpeg

• Like 1

i went with the longer 22 inch lever to,  so i could shift standing up so i could see over the load of wood for people behind me when i had to get on the road, also to make sure i didn't loose a stick on the road to cause a hazard. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Just reinstalled my rear bumper, & rear cargo box. Double checking few things as I’m heading out tomorrow with a buddy! First winter ride in years. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Just reinstalled my rear bumper, & rear cargo box. Double checking few things as I’m heading out tomorrow with a buddy! First winter ride in years. 

pics please !! 

jeez...you guys been busy... all I did was add a bit of air to the rear left tire, fire up the engine after it sitting for a month..and head out back for some chores and a spin on the property (grin)...glad to have a sunny day...more rain on the way, so this lunch time spin today was good for the soul

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Made it to the river today and saw one juvenile Bald Eagle eating on a deer carcass and two adults on and around their nest.  It was good to get out even if it started to rain just as we got to our nest viewing point.

sure would liked to have seen some pics of those rare birds, i had a red tail hawk in my big maple tree, the morning of the big  snow storm, soon as i rounded the house get a pic, he / she took flight, but,  i know what there after, on the limb it perched on is a Squirrel Den is just a few in he's away, which is what the hawk was looking at, i hope the hawk scores. 

The wife caught this one as we were pulling into dock last October down in Beaufort SC...our second home

eagle.jpg

eagledinner.jpg

Edited by Bighanded
attach pics
  • Like 5

If I used the phone you might see a white dot.  I'll take the Nikon out the next time and see what I can do.  Bald Eagles are common around here in the river basin.  I know of two nests close by.  The locals are very proud and protective of these beautiful birds.  Like yesterday, I could have easily got 200 maybe 300 yards closer but don't think the nesting pair would like it so we all seem to have an unwritten rule that nobody gets any closer that a certain point while Eagle watching.  They are very wary birds seldom letting humans get closer than about 100yds. While canoeing the river we notice about the same distance applies.

About 7-8 years ago the local Wildlife Officer was on the local radio talking about Black Headed Buzzards now living in our area and that even though they can and will kill a newborn calf they are a protected species because they are migratory birds.  Officially that's their story but if you call and complain about them the Officer will tell you he can't get to your side of the county for at least a week...😉

Anyway, that Saturday morning with buzzards on our mind,  my wife was looking out the window and asked what kind of buzzard had a white head?🤔🤣  Son of a gun.  A bald Eagle not 40 yards from my bedroom window perching in the top of a lightning struck tall Black Locust tree.  That's my Eagle story.😁

• Like 2

We live on the shore of Lake Ponchartrain , there two  huge  Wildlife Preserve along the lake  and quite a few  Bird Sanctuaries , we get to see lots of birds of prey , eagle and osprey ( sea eagle ) are common , falcons , harks , Mississippi Kites are thick and  lots of owl  --- my neighbor before he passed away raised homing pigeons , seen so many kills , the falcons would hit them so hard in the air that  it sounds like a .410 shotgun going off and a shower of feathers would float down ,   but one of the coolest birds we  "see"  is said to be extinct or really dang close to it , the giant red headed wood pecker , they should call it the gigantic red headed woodpecker , these guys are as big as eagles ,  from the tip of his tail to his head looks like about 4 foot , this dude isn't into pecking holes so much , he tears the bark off the trees in chunks , been a couple of years now since seeing him 

• Like 2

i would love to have them here in my area, , but here, my thinking is they be would shot at, which burns me, my red tail hawks ... I'm very protective over, and you can't really depend on the TWRA , to be on time (same problem as you have) i see you hear them talking on the radio,  so i take it you  monitor local LE, and emergency service ? (smart) anyways ... getting back to birds, here it's turkey buzzards that are a real issue, i have a permit to kill them, (killed 12 last year) which is not easy to get, what they do here, is peck the eyes from a new born calf, plus other live stock, it's been a big problem for year (plus 20) and TWRA, won't do a thing, as there busy dealing with the wild hog invasion.  

15 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i would love to have them here in my area, , but here, my thinking is they be would shot at, which burns me, my red tail hawks ... I'm very protective over, and you can't really depend on the TWRA , to be on time (same problem as you have) i see you hear them talking on the radio,  so i take it you  monitor local LE, and emergency service ? (smart) anyways ... getting back to birds, here it's turkey buzzards that are a real issue, i have a permit to kill them, (killed 12 last year) which is not easy to get, what they do here, is peck the eyes from a new born calf, plus other live stock, it's been a big problem for year (plus 20) and TWRA, won't do a thing, as there busy dealing with the wild hog invasion.  

We call the red headed buzzards Turkey Vultures here.  They are harmless only eating dead animals.   It's the Black Headed Buzzards that do the calf killing.  Yep, they start with the eyes. 

yep they do the same, eyes and dead animals, that's why they are some what protected (cleaners) scavenging dead animals on the road, deer guts, caucuses, from hunters etc, but when it comes to gathering around cattle, and live stock, that's where i draw the line, fact is, they need to thinned out, here with so many, it's a real problem. and to my knowledge we don't have black headed buzzards here, at least I've never seen, or heard anyone speek of them.