dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Swapped two new Mudbugs onto the kid's 300 front wheels this morning.  Didn't have time to do the rears. 

I also found a torn boot on the left CV, so gotta fix that while I have the wheels off.

• Like 2

Man, you guys are making me feel quilty about not doing a ! thing but ride mine lately.   In my defense this month alone the Element got new adjustable camber rear upper arms and gets aligned Tuesday.  The Abarth hit 30,000 miles and got four new Continental Extremecontact Sport tires, the brake fluid changed and four new plugs.  As well as a good inspection of just about everything under the body and hood.

Tomorrow # 2 son's coming for brakes on his Minivan and Momma will be taking the oldest Grandrat 4wheeling and fishing.

I did have that brief moment of stupidity being dumber than a blown fuse on the 97.  Does that count?

BTW, Condoms prevent Minivans🤣

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

Man, you guys are making me feel quilty about not doing a ! thing but ride mine lately.   In my defense this month alone the Element got new adjustable camber rear upper arms and gets aligned Tuesday.  The Abarth hit 30,000 miles and got four new Continental Extremecontact Sport tires, the brake fluid changed and four new plugs.  As well as a good inspection of just about everything under the body and hood.

Tomorrow # 2 son's coming for brakes on his Minivan and Momma will be taking the oldest Grandrat 4wheeling and fishing.

I did have that brief moment of stupidity being dumber than a blown fuse on the 97.  Does that count?

BTW, Condoms prevent Minivans🤣

I use to spend all my time building , repairing and modifying atvs , now days as long as I have one running and a spare , I am good with it , not as fun doing repairs as mods and custom work , I'd rather ride and work on other projects 

• Like 1

Used it to track down our dog in neighbors field after it took off from deck like a bullet from a gun.  Dog chased a rabbit across 300 yds of farm field and woods. Was able to locate her but I need to adjust light on front of atv.  The led pods and factory headlight didn’t quite cut it When on flat terrain.  If nose was going over a ridge in field it reached out nicely 

Edited by 87Iroc

back got to feeling better, so i finally fixed the pit cock. if its some warm tomorrow ill install the gas-tank, and fire up the atv, then i can resume the shifting issue. just about had it fore i hurt my back.. i even bet theres no carb issues, after sitting so long. [not!! not at all].. 🙂

Edited by LedFTed

43 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

How often do you guys change engine oil?

when it looks like it needs to be changed. not a time limit, nor an hour limit., even miles... thats the only way..

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, freebo86 said:

How often do you guys change engine oil?

Every 600-700 miles.

I must have jinxed myself since while instructing the Grandson how to safely ride the Trx300fw,  the rear handbrake cable broke.  (Maybe that's why it's been a bit mushy)  Then told him how us country folk deal with it and sent him on hid was following Gma.  Son and I got all for corners of the kiddy hauler equipped with new brake pads while they were gone.  Then I grabbed a spare cable from the parts bike and showed the little rat how to change the brake cable.  Then off to the woods to show him where the 300 shines. 

I only wish someone would sell an adjustable rev limiter.😬

What do you expect from a city kid turned loose in the country. 🤔

• Haha 1

Spent some time Saturday and Sunday with the mini-me out on the farm widening out the trails.  One older trail hadn't been used in 4-5 years, so I opened it back up again just so we aren't driving the same track all the time. 

Got the kid's new Mudbugs mounted on the aluminum (factory Rubicon) wheels, and got the Mudlite XL's that she'd been running mounted on some factory steelies that will go on the Foreman I'm working on to sell. 

Replaced the left front CV axle on her 300, and put a 350D brake cable on which seems to work ok with the 350D rear end.  Need to bleed her front brakes again, as the lever is still a bit spongy (factory 07-13 420 discs).

Also noticed the brake lights I added aren't working, and the winch works intermittently, so going to have to nose around on the wiring a bit.  Looks like I have a loose connection.  Took it for a spin to make check everything out.

I also cranked the 420 front shocks (2012ish IIRC, but they're adjustable) down to the lowest setting, which did help the ride a hair.  Need to find a softer rear shock for her.  The 300 scoots through the mud well, but rides like a buckboard wagon.

• Like 1

put in the gas tank, got the 2000 fired up, but it dies. got a feeling for sitting so long, i got to go through the carburetor again.. 🙂

• Like 1

Yesterday I got the top end put on the 500 bottom end I rebuilt back during the winter, and got it set in the frame of the 07 500 I'm fixing up to flip.  Motor is in place, rear end is in, new ball joints and bearings in the front end.  Gotta get the front driveshaft installed, and the front diff bolted in, then I can put wheels on it and roll it around at least.

Next up is a new (to me) wiring harness.  The old one is hacked up a bit, and I've already picked up a used harness in good shape to use on this machine.

• Like 1

I thought a lot about changing the oil.  Stopped at Advance Auto and saw a 5 gt jug of Castrol GTX for $29.99.  Got back to the car and saw what I wanted on Amazon for a savings of $12.88.  Ordered from my phone in the Advance Auto parking lot.  Be here Thursday.  That will give me another day to think about changing the oil in both Trx300fws.

2 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I thought a lot about changing the oil.  Stopped at Advance Auto and saw a 5 gt jug of Castrol GTX for $29.99.  Got back to the car and saw what I wanted on Amazon for a savings of $12.88.  Ordered from my phone in the Advance Auto parking lot.  Be here Thursday.  That will give me another day to think about changing the oil in both Trx300fws.

Can't give you a like for amazon , I'd be scared the jug is Chinese cloned with 5 Star recycled oil is in the jug , lol ---  I'm defunding amazon 

• Like 1

Sometimes it's the lesser of two evils.  Them or Walmart it seems.  This is coming direct from Castrol so it better be genuine.   

Sometimes I can't get what I want even after driving an hour so online I go.  

Spark plugs are one thing I never buy online.  Too much counterfeitting there.

Sometimes I'll find it on Amazon then buy it directly from the vendor for cheaper.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Sometimes it's the lesser of two evils.  Them or Walmart it seems.  This is coming direct from Castrol so it better be genuine.   

Sometimes I can't get what I want even after driving an hour so online I go.  

Spark plugs are one thing I never buy online.  Too much counterfeitting there.

Sometimes I'll find it on Amazon then buy it directly from the vendor for cheaper.

Wow , I never experienced knock off spark plugs yet , but I don't do amazon  

We have Amazon prime but the two day shipping don’t happen for where I live anymore - takes forever. I order more from eBay. 

• Like 1

Haven’t done anything new to the atv but did add a lift, tires/wheels and stereo to the golf cart. Wifey wanted the golf cart for going to campgrounds. 

A4D4E63C-8836-4173-85C4-EAB6E491F03F.jpeg

BEBC6D5B-5D46-47E5-B492-037832FC38B9.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

While we're on oil, Mobil 1 has a rebate going now.  I got 2 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 (wife's car uses it) extended performance for $24ish each at Walmart online, free shipping.  Rebate is $15/jug (limit 2 per household) so got 2 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for about $10 each.

Rotella also has a rebate now.  Not a great one, but I got a 2.5 gal jug of T6 to use in the wheelers, and it had a $15 rebate on it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

i do that quite a bit.  Would rather the small business get the money that Amazon. 

I order spark plugs when I order parts from Rockauto for the vehicles, and get them from Honda when I order other Honda parts for the ATV's.  They are as cheap that way as any, and I'm confident they are not fakes.

13 hours ago, slowindown said:

We have Amazon prime but the two day shipping don’t happen for where I live anymore - takes forever. I order more from eBay. 

Cancelled my prime.  Sales tax here runs 10.5%, and they started charging tax before they had to, which ticked me off.  They also tack that sales tax onto the prime membership cost, which got the total up there.  Then the 2 day shipping turned into 2 week shipping, and I said "Why am I paying for this".  That's not even bringing into account the commie who owns Amazon and the fact that I was supporting his business.

Stuff is just as cheap or cheaper on ebay most of the time, and here lately I've tried my darndest to avoid both and use small business.  Most sell on ebay or amazon now, and you can figure out who they are and go directly to them, cutting out the monster middle men.

• Like 4

We have the prime for the tv service more than for what has become a lie about 2 day shipping. We cut the cord a couple years ago. 

• Like 3

I did get the three other lubes on the ATVs changed this morning before heading off to push the cart for the Mrs at two greenhouses.  Hint:  the money I saved on the Castrol is less that 10% of what she spent on flowers today.

Can't complain since she keeps the place looking nice and never denies me anything. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

I did get the three other lubes on the ATVs changed this morning before heading off to push the cart for the Mrs at two greenhouses.  Hint:  the money I saved on the Castrol is less that 10% of what she spent on flowers today.

Can't complain since she keeps the place looking nice and never denies me anything. 

I mentioned the wife retired recently , a friend gave her a flower kit as a hobby to take up , the bulbs came  in a sealed pack , a dozen of them , so I went with her to gets some pots and potting soil , which I had to pay for , cause her wallet got lock jaw at the register like it does so many times , she planted them on St Joseph's Day , only one grew out ---- we boiled crayfish and my buddy has a garlic farm , he brought some over that was sprouting , so I planed two or three bulbs in each of the pots , you should see them grow out , about 4 inches long now ,  she's clueless 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5