dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Just got home from another trip to the hunting shack. Put 45 miles on the wheelers yesterday. Went from 40 degree weather to 80. Luckily I fixed the artesian well up in our area so we could refill water bottles on the way by and stick your head under it. Stopped by a lake and did the same. Wood ticks are out in force now. My son had his Pioneer 1000-5 and 4 kids.

IMG_20210501_132903948.jpg

IMG_20210430_134954985_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210430_124909460.jpg

IMG_20210430_121742369.jpg

IMG_20210429_185623535.jpg

• Like 7

took carb off the 2000es  it needs work from sitting. lots of buildup, might need to break out the 0000 steel wool to clean some parts. it looks bad from the 1st observation. Oh Well !!

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, PROV said:

Just got home from another trip to the hunting shack. Put 45 miles on the wheelers yesterday. Went from 40 degree weather to 80. Luckily I fixed the artesian well up in our area so we could refill water bottles on the way by and stick your head under it. Stopped by a lake and did the same. Wood ticks are out in force now. My son had his Pioneer 1000-5 and 4 kids.

IMG_20210501_132903948.jpg

IMG_20210430_134954985_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210430_124909460.jpg

IMG_20210430_121742369.jpg

IMG_20210429_185623535.jpg

Looks like a beautiful day for a ride. 

How does he like the Pioneer?  One friend of mine picked one up not long after they came out, and he had some clutch issues with his, but he's hard on his toys.

My father in law is looking for a SxS and I was hesitant to recommend the 1000.  The 700's are tough, but I'm not crazy about the 3 speed Rincon engine.

He likes it alot. I've rode in it quite a bit too. Some places the corduroy was sticking up bad and I could only go 10mph or less with the pickup but you could go 40 easily on both of our machines. That said I would very seriously consider the Yamaha X2 XTR. 800 twin cylinder, 10 year belt warranty, excellent ride and power and probably the quietest machine I've ever heard. One friend has one and another is waiting for delivery of his.

• Like 2

@basfnb's brother has a Yamaha Viking.  He toodles around the neighborhood in it, but it hasn't given him any issues yet.

Yamaha would probably be the only brand besides Honda I would consider, but as a general rule I don't like belts......

• Like 1

I'm with you but I don't think I would blink buying one. I guess their clutch technology is way ahead of anybody else, hence the 10 year guarantee. Friend said if you buy Yamaha service packs (oil, filter, air filter etc.) they extend the warranty quite a bit and you can still do the actual service yourself.

I had a Yamaha rhino 660 and I have a commander 1000. Yes. Yamaha’s belt system is miles ahead in my opinion. 

Can am an Polaris use what I call grab and go clutches - the belt is loose in the primary sheave and tight in the secondary. When you rev the motor the primary clutch closes on the belt (grabs it). Then it moves up the primary and down the secondary as you accelerate. A lot of wear occurs over time when the belt is grabbed and goes from zero to around 1800 rpm suddenly - they’re prone to slip a little bit when this happens, especially if you’re too easy on the throttle and the primary is only barely grabbing. So contrary to our instincts of being easy on the throttle it’s best to get the rpm up quickly then let off a little. On my commander I added a low speed engagement spring so it engages at about 1650 rpm and I can putt putt around at low speeds with more confidence. My commander has a one way bearing system in the primary clutch that keeps engagement when you decelerate to give engine braking. I’m not sure if or how Polaris accomplishes it. 

Yamaha’s ultramatic on the other hand is a constant tension system. The belt is never loose in the sheaves. The way it is able to accomplish that is by having a wet clutch (centrifugal).  When you give the machine throttle the crank spins and the shoes in the wet clutch spread and grab in a drum and that turns the primary pulley. Yamahas also have a sprag clutch that when you let off the throttle keeps the crankshaft engaged so you have engine braking. 

I really like the new Wolverines, especially the 2021 models. The 850 has been mentioned but I really want rmax 1000 which just came out this year. If you look at used 850s prior to 2021, they have a piece that’s supposed to be designed to hold you in the machine. They got rid of it in 2021 because it made it a pain to get in and out of the machine. 

• Like 3

Today I replaced my GPS cradle, mounted a new rear view mirror and this shotgun shell holder.

IMG_20210506_152522988_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Neighbours came over & asked if I’d be able to pull up some cedar trees. I said well let’s try... I pulled over 10 up for them. Spun all 4 tires locked up, (hard in driveline for sure, good thing she’s all new lol) but got er done. Still have to change oil before May Long Week End Camp trip!  

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 5

I've been plugging away on the 07 Foreman 500FM I'm redoing to flip.

Rear end installed (still have to get brakes done), engine put together and installed. 

I found that 05-14 Rubicon and 05-11 mufflers are the same (I figured they were, but confirmed it now). 

Yesterday morning I rebuilt the carb, and this morning I installed the carb and air box, and got the new (used) wiring harness partially installed as the old one was cut up.

I have two of these 500's to fix and flip, and both have the fan wiring spliced for switches.  I'm guessing the ECU's on both went south and fan operation was lost. 

@retro will your fan thingymajigs work on a 500?  If so, I might use my good ECU's from my 06 and 09 on these two flip bikes, and use those faulty ECU's on my own machines with a thingymajig (if they'll work and you'd SELL me (not give, but SELL me) a couple)

• Like 2

ordered a shindy carb kit from rocky mountain ATV, get it monday. just gotta soak it in something. so far just using carb cleaner. did someone say apple-cider vinegar. also the top cover is rusty on the inside, anyone remember that baking soda blaster?, to knock of the rust..

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

ordered a shindy carb kit from rocky mountain ATV, get it monday. just gotta soak it in something. so far just using carb cleaner. did someone say apple-cider vinegar. also the top cover is rusty on the inside, anyone remember that baking soda blaster?, to knock of the rust..

I use berrymans now (gallon can of carb soak), and it works great.

Before I got Berrymans I'd boil my carbs in lemonjuice and water on a campstove.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

@retro will your fan thingymajigs work on a 500?

Yup! I was thinking about sending you a couple FCUs anyway, because I will need beta testers to help me refine those gizmos. I can't tell ya when you might expect them though... turns out that in reality I am not retired after all. So hang onto your good parts until ya get what you need from our gizmos projects.

EDIT: Hang onto your old wiring harness, I am going to be looking for a donor OEM FCU plastic connector plug because I want to create a copy and print them.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, retro said:

Yup! I was thinking about sending you a couple FCUs anyway, because I will need beta testers to help me refine those gizmos. I can't tell ya when you might expect them though... turns out that in reality I am not retired after all. So hang onto your good parts until ya get what you need from our gizmos projects.

EDIT: Hang onto your old wiring harness, I am going to be looking for a donor OEM FCU plastic connector plug because I want to create a copy and print them.

I have several hacked up harnesses.  I can send you whatever you need!

And you know I'm never in any hurry to get anything done.  LOL

• Like 3

4 hours ago, retro said:

I am going to be looking for a donor OEM FCU plastic connector plug because I want to create a copy and print them.

I have a TRX450ES in the yard  , it has a wiring harness on it that has been hacked up , do you want a plug off of it ?? 

Yeah, I want to make copies of the fan connector plug and the accessory connector plug for all of the air-cooled models. So once I learn how to design parts in Freecad I will be asking for donors. I'll pay for the parts + shipping costs, but I don't need them yet... got my hands full with outdoor work right now.

• Like 2

Went out again early this morning.  Finished putting the wiring harness on the 07. 

I really need to clean up my shop again.  I have parts EVERYWHERE, which makes it very hard to find little stuff that you need, like a clamp for the air filter, and the clamp for the boot that goes on the carb intake....

This machine was bought in pieces, and quite a while ago at that.

Tearing one all the way down to the frame and then putting it back together is one thing. 

Building one from pieces that are scattered all over the place is another.  Not fun!

• Like 6

I have mine loaded in the truck.. seasonal trails open the 15th. Just waiting

On 5/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I use berrymans now (gallon can of carb soak), and it works great.

Before I got Berrymans I'd boil my carbs in lemonjuice and water on a campstove.

ya ever use that in a spray can, ??

Technically I consider this an ATV because it spends most of its  time in the grass and the dirt roads. Put this  old tube sound system off my Atv on the golf cart , my neighbors are going to love me NOT and gave it a little bit of cleaning. Cleaned up pretty good for being a 1982    this  turtle wax stuff that I got from the flea market was what I used. Pretty good for bringing back life to 10 year old shake can paint.  

7FCE37E9-B289-40E2-832A-A70251849716.jpeg

14D147BA-3100-4BB0-B4FF-8F5E34A062A6.jpeg

2315806F-DFD8-4E0E-AF64-DE665F12F4F1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Technically I consider this an ATV because it spends most of its  time in the grass and the dirt roads. Put this  old tube sound system off my Atv on the golf cart , my neighbors are going to love me NOT and gave it a little bit of cleaning. Cleaned up pretty good for being a 1982    this  turtle wax stuff that I got from the flea market was what I used. Pretty good for bringing back life to 10 year old shake can paint.  

7FCE37E9-B289-40E2-832A-A70251849716.jpeg

14D147BA-3100-4BB0-B4FF-8F5E34A062A6.jpeg

2315806F-DFD8-4E0E-AF64-DE665F12F4F1.jpeg

Looks good!  Gas or electric?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Looks good!  Gas or electric?

Thanks, 36 volt electric ----  

tore into my '89 trx350D, gonna mod/ put front disk brakes on her i hope ?!..lol.

• Like 4

well; i rebuilt the carb a few years ago, and from sitting, i did get buildup on it. course the shindy carb kit will have a lot of parts. the main body and the bottom cover, i soaked in apple cider vinegar. it getting pretty shiny, and the crud is dissolving good.. i wiped it of with a small paint brush..

i did use gumout first, but it wasnt getting everything.

the apple cider, ya dont have to worry about gloves to protect your hands. its worked for my purpose. now,, to order or not order a brush set from amazon?, the last time i had enough wire and things laying around the house, i even used some wire from bread ties.. i still got most of my wires for cleaning passageways.. then theres always pipe cleaners to look at. 🙂

Don't forget to neutralize the vinegar with baking soda water. 🙂

• Like 1