dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

On 5/15/2021 at 10:24 PM, LedFTed said:

ya ever use that in a spray can, ??

Gotta soak it to get those deposits out, in my experience.

Got some more work done on the 07 500FM I've been slowly rebuilding. 

Got the rest of the wiring hooked up, front diff in, new rear brake cable, valves adjusted, cleaned up an old gas tank, and installed an old battery.  Moment of truth!

Fired right up.  Idled smooth as silk....with the choke on.  Gas is pouring out of the overflow, and if I give it gas, it sputters and wants to die.  I also have an exhaust leak where the header pipe meets the muffler pipe.

So, going to pull this carb (recently purchased on ebay, soaked, and then rebuilt with a Shindy kit) and put another one on I have around that I know runs well (but also has a float needle leak). 

Rain here for the next few days, so I'm going to get rested up and get back on it when the weather clears.

On another note, finally convinced the wife to ride with me and little bit.  We rode down to the end of the farm and back.  The brakes on her 420 have gotten mushy, and I asked her if she wanted to try the Rubicon.   She now wants the Rubicon......

So I guess I'll be fixing that 13 Rubicon I picked up last summer for me, and she's now taken the one I've been cruising on.  Will have to get the brakes fixed on her 420DCT and sell it. 

I also got a secondary gear reduction from Chris Clark for my 06 500 Footshift, so there another thing on the "to-do" list

• Like 3

Washed it yesterday & pulled the w/s off for the summer. Have it jacked up in the garage to change 3 of 4 wheel bearings this week. Its wheel bearings....not brake pads, so i am not changing the 4th as its still tight 😅

• Like 1

after soaking in vinegar, holding the carb with my fingers, my fingers turned, silver. 🙂 i had to lava soap that stuff off, dont want to absorb the aluminum through the skin.. i didnt see that one coming, i got to do as retro said and soak it in baking soda water.. the vinegar also softened up the JB Weld, i had on the plunger cover.. [my plunger had a bad diafram,, si i got rid of it, an plugged the hole with JB Weld]

now i got the top soaking in vinegar. after two hours, ya wouldnt believe the rust it pulled out, the wire brush wouldnt..

retro, i'm glad ya said something. i was thinking about doing that today. what ya said put the icing on the cake..

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

Set the afr & changed the oil n filter. All ready for this long week end. 

• Like 2

just thinking, after sitting for so long, an oil change is do also.. i use castrol oil, for wet clutch, rumor has it oil breaks down over time, even sitting... no moisture in the oil, still ???

apple cider vinegar, can it let metal burn faster? rust??

Edited by LedFTed

7 hours ago, LedFTed said:

apple cider vinegar, can it let metal burn faster? rust??

I have never used anything but white vinegar to de-rust stuff ---

apple cider vinegar we have in the cabinet , the wife drinks a concocksion everyday with it in it , along with green tea and ginger , good for your stomach , I use to do it 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 5:36 AM, Fishfiles said:

I have never used anything but white vinegar to de-rust stuff ---

apple cider vinegar we have in the cabinet , the wife drinks a concocksion everyday with it in it , along with green tea and ginger , good for your stomach , I use to do it 

ACV, mixed in a shot glass, 50/50 with honey, cools your stomach down, an is a muscle relaxer. learned it in 1980 or so. i like green tea, an ya know i like ginger ale, i drink Canada dry. one of there best products, 😀, cept Canadians.. [i gotta say they got some that are in politics, aint so brite], something here.. i could name a few, but the page would get long.. too long..

ACV, on my spinach is good, makes it taste sweet. course i put salt on the grapefruit, a little bit of salt on watermelon, black pepper works the best.

most dont like water melon, their loss. it takes up space, in your gut, dont add to much weight.. an dont taste that bad.., the white part taste like cucumber, cept for seeds. i like it, to each is own.. wonder if it will make pickles..

I made a RC airplane carrier today.  Foam padding with velcro straps.  There are two places I like to fly my hand-launch electrics both accessed only by ATV.  The transmitter and battery case is strapped to the back.

The plane has been with me for about 12 years now.  It was a Herr Manufacturing rubber powered 30" wingspan free-flight kit.  These types of kits convert easily to brushless outrunner CD rom drive type motors and with 4 channel radio and a 500mah lipo battery weights around 7oz.  It flies nice and slow if throttled back but will climb straight up and accelerate at less than full throttle.   The motor is larger than required but I needed nose weight to balance and in the words of my father,  "If you need to add weight in the nose it may as well be in cubic inches.  You can always throttle back."  Dad worked on Corsairs in the Korean war.

20210524_110801.jpg

• Like 7

I fly rc too - at least I did.  I haven't flown in probably 6 years.  All of my planes are glow fuel powered, not even sure if it's still available. I still mow my runway though. . .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slowindown said:

I fly rc too - at least I did.  I haven't flown in probably 6 years.  All of my planes are glow fuel powered, not even sure if it's still available. I still mow my runway though. . .

It comes right back to you.  I started back in '76 with an OS Max .35 on a Sig Kadet.  A guy from church taught me and I got away from in after ten years.   Started back up with electrics in '05 and started building again.  The electrics are capable of very slow flight since they can be built lightweight. 

• Like 1

I've been at home sick since Thursday.  Mini-me was sick last week, so we put her on antibiotics last Tuesday.  By Thursday late AM I felt like crap.  Looks like strep.  Sore throat, stuffy ears, tired.  No fever or coughing so APN said no covid test required, especially after she saw the kid early last week.

Yesterday my "sitting on my butt for 4 days" got the better of me and I went out and swapped a different carb onto the 07 project.  Fired right up, no leaky bowl, and runs good.  Still have an exhaust leak, which I'll look at when my latest RMATV order of small stuff arrives.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've been at home sick since Thursday.  Mini-me was sick last week, so we put her on antibiotics last Tuesday.  By Thursday late AM I felt like crap.  Looks like strep.  Sore throat, stuffy ears, tired.  No fever or coughing so APN said no covid test required, especially after she saw the kid early last week.

Yesterday my "sitting on my butt for 4 days" got the better of me and I went out and swapped a different carb onto the 07 project.  Fired right up, no leaky bowl, and runs good.  Still have an exhaust leak, which I'll look at when my latest RMATV order of small stuff arrives.

take it easy bro, we need you with us !. waiting on my large order for my 350D, aghhh..lol.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, shadetree said:

take it easy bro, we need you with us !. waiting on my large order for my 350D, aghhh..lol.

Ha. Couldn’t stand it. RMATV order already arrived (just ordered Thursday!) so I went out and put a new exhaust gasket in, fixed that problem.

Also put a “rebuilt sending unit” in the gas tank, which works!

Will input that info in the original thread I started when I bought the thing, but was able to replace the “fingers” using a part from a $10 ebay generic sending unit.

But yep, overdid it. Worn out and didn’t even really do anything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I made a RC airplane carrier today.  Foam padding with velcro straps.  There are two places I like to fly my hand-launch electrics both accessed only by ATV.  The transmitter and battery case is strapped to the back.

The plane has been with me for about 12 years now.  It was a Herr Manufacturing rubber powered 30" wingspan free-flight kit.  These types of kits convert easily to brushless outrunner CD rom drive type motors and with 4 channel radio and a 500mah lipo battery weights around 7oz.  It flies nice and slow if throttled back but will climb straight up and accelerate at less than full throttle.   The motor is larger than required but I needed nose weight to balance and in the words of my father,  "If you need to add weight in the nose it may as well be in cubic inches.  You can always throttle back."  Dad worked on Corsairs in the Korean war.

20210524_110801.jpg

Oooh - a Corsair!. My dad worked on Hawker Hurricanes (Dutch West Indies (Java / Sumatra) )and Mosquito fighter bombers. Then English Electric Lightenings, Vulcans, Tornados and Harriers.

Edited by SparkyMark
  • Like 1

I put the Fimco sprayer on the rear carrier and attacked the weeds with boom and wand. Made light work of it.

Edited by SparkyMark
  • Like 2

Two weeks ago I put the Rancher 420 on the trailer and drove the Jeep, with trailer to a nearby town and up the canyon road.  Only got about 5 miles before I was stopped by a large snow drift.

So I went clear across the valley to another town, and up their canyon road, all the way over the mountains and out to a small town on the other side.  No snow over there, just beautiful scenery and nice weather.

Parked the Jeep and trailer at the trail head, then unloaded the ATV.  I found I can do it in 5 minutes.

Today I went up the canyon road from my small town on the ATV and only got about 8 miles up, quite low from the top, maybe 7500 feet high.  I was going to turn around there at a small snow drift, but walked up 100 yards.  At another impassible snow drift an old man (my age or so had a 4 wheeler, red, slipping sideways off the road, toward a downward slope, steep, about 500 or 600 feet down to a creek that could not be seen.  Heard, but not seen.  It was over the last drop off.  I could hear some nice water flowing down there. 

So I then had to plow thru the first drift (easy) and up to where he was.  And tried winching and then, with the winch hooked on him, just reversed and pulled him back on the road.  He didn't much know how to get the machine in reverse, so maybe it wasn't his machine, but he sure didn't know much about the trail/canyon road.  He looked like a local farmer, but ...

ATV runs nice.  Jeep and trailer work nice too.  Today, it was just straight across town and up the mountain on the ATV.  Truck and trailer is for more distant canyons. 

dc

Edited by David13
  • Like 3

I played eeny, meeney, miny... moe with it. Which should I ride tomorrow. 🤔

20210530_191741.jpg

• Like 2

Choice was made, 55 miles in stopping for lunch. 😊

20210531_143713.jpg

Ran across a small heard of elk too. All in all been a good day so far

20210531_145807.gif

Edited by Akunin
  • Like 6

I got another 300 over the weekend , this 300  use to be mine , I couldn't pass it up , it is a 96 TRX300 2wd , it has the disc conversion on the front , TRX250 rear end in the rear , first gen cam , floor boards , etc , the problem with it is the swing arm bearings  and no spark , actually bought it sight unseen as it has been a few months since I seen it last , but for $400 I can't go wrong , I can get $400  out the 250 rear end which had been welded to fit the 300 and has wheel sapcers on it  , I actually doubt I will fix this one  to ride , it is going to be a parts bike 

Also found a 1999 TRX450S foot shift with a blown rear end for $400 here in Lacombe that I might go look at this evening 

• Like 2

Put the bearing and seals in the rear hub of the Rincon the other day & put the hub back on yesterday. The front wheels arent the bearings, just a little play in the ball joints it seems. 😮 

• Like 2

video of my 450 Foreman getting pulled up the hill with the wife's 350 rancher,  I have a bungee type pull strap and there's no way I make this climb on my own with the trailer load of wood behind,  Just not enough traction to make the Hill so we have to go up in tandem. 

• Like 4