dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

looked at it sitting broken in the yard because i give up .  lol

1 hour ago, Tobor1 said:

looked at it sitting broken in the yard because i give up .  lol

Hey it ran last week right? You aint looked everywhere yet—just need to retrace.

• Like 1

Installed a new Kolpin gun scabbard. Got a bigger one to accommodate my scoped rifles. Has a removable liner so I can dry it out easier.

IMG_20210826_124411159_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

don't give up yet.... electrical issues can be a pain to track down.... 

i would rather throw money at it at this point.   looking now for someone local thats not the dealer

nah.... just give the guys some time... you wouldn't believe (if i told you) some of the strange problems that have been solved here. 

ashamed to say that both of my bikes have sat in the garage for a month now...vacation, extra work, and the dang heat, has just made riding take a back seat to jumping in the pool. But I did at least crank the old Blue 93 Saturday afternoon.. I was out cranking up my generators for their monthly maintenance cycle given the reminder of hurricane Ida. So while they were running, I thought I best at least let the honda idle a bit...literally did not ride it.. I gotta make some changes.

• Like 4

Me and my hunting shack partners son were up at the hunting shack last two days. He works for a logging outfit and borrowed their skid steer and mower to clear our trails. I checked on him when he was about 1/2 done then took off for my deer stand and brushed 500 yards of shooting lane. Got dumped on by 4 different rain storms. When I got back to him it turned out the skid steer didn't start after I left. Went and got tools and back to him. Had a funky relay. Hooked the jumper cables up to the Rubicon, gave it 15 minutes to charge, wiggled the relay and it started up. What a day. Good thing I didn't have to drag him out ...I might have needed low gear.😅

IMG_20210904_160853314_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, PROV said:

Got dumped on by 4 different rain storms.

more rain! good deal! glad to hear it's getting better up your way. 

• Like 1

Was cloudy and low 80s here yesterday and the wife mentioned it would be a good day for me and my buddies to ride, so I wrangled up two of them last minute and we took a short cruise. 

When the little one got up from her nap Wife wanted to come out on the farm with her, so I ran back to the house to get them and we rode a little bit longer and then headed to the house. 

Was nice to get out again, and perfect riding weather

@basfnb Was on his brothers 2013 Rubicon with power steering, and it ran hot a couple of times with no fan coming on, so he left it with me and I have to figure out if the fan is bad or if the ECU is bad. Grounded the temp sensor wire on the head and the light comes on but no fan.

Will look at it this afternoon and see if the fan comes on with 12 V run straight to it

• Like 3

I got a chance to introduce three ladies to the joy of 4wheelers today.  My sister from the Bay area, her good friend and my niece.  My niece got to set off a # of tannerite with a .223 the last time she was here.

IMG950147.jpg

IMG950143.jpg

• Like 7

Been putting a 300 together this week.  Bought it a few months ago, running and "needs a rear end".  Really bought it because it had tan fenders and a good tan tank that I wanted.

Got it home, found the front diff was also trashed (see pic, lol), both front CV's trashed, frame had a bubba'd winch plate mounted to it, and swingarm bearings were gone.

I had a clean and freshly painted frame with good swingarm bearings, so I just decided to swap everything over.  Put a good front diff in replaced the front seal in the transfer case, put a stock rear end in it (for now).  Was ! getting the old ball joints out of the upper a-arms, but finally got them out.

I have an old high school buddy wanting a 300 for his kid for Christmas, so will likely put some @SuperATV front discs on it, new CV's, new upper ball joints (lowers were fine) and new bearings on the front end.  Will run it around a bit with no fenders to make sure everything is as it should be, then slap some green fenders on and tell him to come get it.

300.jpg

front diff.jpg

• Like 3

Didn't get a lot done on my own stuff this weekend.

Put a new switch and contactor on @basfnb's brother's Rubicon since it's at the house.  Last time we rode the fan wasn't coming on, so he left it with me.

Fan was barely touching the radiator so it wouldn't spin.  Gently pried around in there and now the fan works as it should. 

Winch also didn't work, which was bad switch AND iffy contactor.  Got those replaced so now he can pull me out next time we ride.

Between that and the little KFX90 my other buddy left me I didn't do anything to my own stuff.

On 8/29/2021 at 12:01 AM, PROV said:

Installed a new Kolpin gun scabbard. Got a bigger one to accommodate my scoped rifles. Has a removable liner so I can dry it out easier.

IMG_20210826_124411159_HDR.jpg

first off...thank you for posting this pic.

my wife, being a sweetie, bought me one of these a couple years back. But  I wanted it out the way as much as possible so I mounted it more at a cant.

the result is it sticks way the heck up in the air and  looks kinda silly.  my old 300 doesn't have a super long rear rack, but this still might be the better way to go.. I'll have to try it.

I don't want to hurt her feelings cause she was good to get it for me...if I were on a weekend outing, yeah, that's the place for a long gun to live.

for just running around my property doing a security sweep, I tend to just toss a shotgun into a soft scabbard and sling it over my back.

two different scenarios I know, but yes, I want to show her that I like the Kolpin and use it more often.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 4:34 PM, 56Sierra said:

I got a chance to introduce three ladies to the joy of 4wheelers today.  My sister from the Bay area, her good friend and my niece.  My niece got to set off a # of tannerite with a .223 the last time she was here.

IMG950147.jpg

IMG950143.jpg

nuttin says Saturday fun like some Four Wheelin and some Tannerite (grin)

good for you to support , embolden these ladies.

• Like 1

myFourtrax saw sunlight as I pulled it out of the garage to get to my old 79 CT90.  Which is where I spent saddle time yesterday.

spinning around on that little bike is still so enjoyable

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bighanded said:

first off...thank you for posting this pic.

my wife, being a sweetie, bought me one of these a couple years back. But  I wanted it out the way as much as possible so I mounted it more at a cant.

the result is it sticks way the heck up in the air and  looks kinda silly.  my old 300 doesn't have a super long rear rack, but this still might be the better way to go.. I'll have to try it.

I don't want to hurt her feelings cause she was good to get it for me...if I were on a weekend outing, yeah, that's the place for a long gun to live.

for just running around my property doing a security sweep, I tend to just toss a shotgun into a soft scabbard and sling it over my back.

two different scenarios I know, but yes, I want to show her that I like the Kolpin and use it more often.

I found years ago that mounting it that way is much faster to get at. It rides just inside the fenders so I won't smack it on a tree. I mount it mostly level so it doesn't stick up higher than anything else for the same reason. I've converted my son and several of my buddies to this method. I also have a shotshell holder mounted so I can grab shells fast as I dismount.

11 hours ago, PROV said:

I found years ago that mounting it that way is much faster to get at. It rides just inside the fenders so I won't smack it on a tree. I mount it mostly level so it doesn't stick up higher than anything else for the same reason. I've converted my son and several of my buddies to this method. I also have a shotshell holder mounted so I can grab shells fast as I dismount.

Dang it.  Now you're making me want to change mine around. 

Mine is poking down towards the footwell.

• Haha 2

Here is my anchor I use for winching when needed. Brand of this one is Seachoice. About 15" high. Very light.

IMG_20210921_105857999.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Dang it.  Now you're making me want to change mine around. 

Mine is poking down towards the footwell.

yep...see...same with me.  and mine is mounted on the little 300...so it looks even more huge...at least on the bigger bikes it doesn't seem to be so oversized.

i'll be changing my mount this weekend.

This morning I got the crankcase 1/2 cleaned up well for the 500 motor I started tearing down.  I've gotten lucky so far and haven't had a 500 motor with the drain bung busted yet (knock on wood).  Just about every 420 motor I've rebuilt has had a busted bung.  Interesting since they're the same design (flawed).

Anyhow, got the cases cleaned out, transmission gears, forks, drum cleaned as well.  Installed rear crank bearing back in the case, then the crank and balancer (pics show timing marks). 

Then I set that job aside, polished the float needle seat, in the TRX250A carb on my bench, put in a new float needle (had to rob one out of another carb kit I had), and put a new bowl gasket in it.  Will check it after work and make sure it's not leaking, and if not, will put the air box etc back on that machine.

Then I had to quit for the morning and go to my real job.

cases.jpg

crank.jpg

• Like 3

Transmission installed this morning.  Took me a few tries to get everything in place and lined up to get the shift fork pin slid down into place, but I finally got it together. 

Replaced the 05-08 1st gear set with the 09-up as always, even though the original looked to be in good shape.

transmission.jpg

• Like 3

This one is getting a gear reduction. 15% done by Chris Clark. Had to grind a little on the one of the bolt heads on the timing chain tensioner but other than that it slid right into place

8A9530FF-C6FD-4A14-8C95-8016D6359FB9.jpeg

• Like 3

Sunday.  the 8 yr old twin grandaughters were over...one of them quietly comes up to me and says "I brought my blue jeans and helmet today" ...big shy grin.

so, I pulled out the old blue bike and we took turns spinning the property with them squealing and laughing with joy.

good day...good Honda....good Pap

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Couldn't sleep Saturday night, so about midnight went out and started working on the 500 engine again.

Discovered that when converting an ES to footshift, the shift arm that goes from the shift shaft to the clutch is different too, so got to that point and had to stop with that engine (ordered one for an FM on ebay).  Part #15 here.  The FM shaft is bigger than the ES, so the ES arm won't go on the ES shaft splines.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2009/trx500fm-a-fourtrax-foreman/front-crankcase-cover-trx500fm-fpm

Went ahead and tore down the 2nd 500ES motor under my bench, so I can ship the two cranks to Vince at Mr Crankshaft today for rebuilds.  Luckily I had rod kits I bought back before the supply dried up.

So when converting from ES to footshift, one needs the splined shift shaft (that the foot shifter bolts on to), the shorter shift shaft that goes through from the shifter shaft to under the front cover, and the arm that goes from the shift shaft to the clutch triangle thing.

And of course, an FM front cover.

• Like 3