dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

48 minutes ago, Goober said:

I have some slop in the steering of both my 86 TRX350A. I got one out by adjusting the steering tie rod knuckle lengths, but cannot get the steering centered. Tie rod knuckles are very loose.

Does this sound like steering tie rod ends (knuckles) to you all?

If the tie rod ends have any play you will feel it in the handlebars. The pivot arm towards the front has bushings that can wear out (plus the steering shaft bearing) and if they have any play you will feel it.

• Like 1

Put over a tank of fuel thru the ole girl hunting in the bush.. can’t wait to load er up with a deer to bring back to camp!!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Goober said:

I have some slop in the steering of both my 86 TRX350A. I got one out by adjusting the steering tie rod knuckle lengths, but cannot get the steering centered. Tie rod knuckles are very loose.

Does this sound like steering tie rod ends (knuckles) to you all?

first, check the upper and lower knuckle bearings, see if they are bad ?. then check each tie rod end. start with wheels centered, then center the steering with the adjustment under the steering shaft, its a short rod just like the longer tie rods are made.

• Like 1

Had to swap out the china carb with another china carb.. I know I know.  It was flooding so bad gas was coming out of any port that it can. Gas in the vacuum hoses and was in the intake port of the head. Changed the oil and filter also. Now that I have a parts carb, I can repair my oem unit. Need to grab a new spark plug and swap it out. Need to take 1 rear tire off and put a tube in. Goes flat over night. there are so many cracks in the tires I am just trying to get them by for a little while longer. Tread is great which sucks.

• Like 1

Chevy , I put Slime in my tires before a tube ---- the new formula Slime is water base , doesn't make a mess like the old stuff , washes out with water 

1 hour ago, Chevymec said:

Had to swap out the china carb with another china carb.. I know I know.  It was flooding so bad gas was coming out of any port that it can. Gas in the vacuum hoses and was in the intake port of the head. Changed the oil and filter also. Now that I have a parts carb, I can repair my oem unit. Need to grab a new spark plug and swap it out. Need to take 1 rear tire off and put a tube in. Goes flat over night. there are so many cracks in the tires I am just trying to get them by for a little while longer. Tread is great which sucks.

I put Sta-Flo starch in the little Kawasaki a few months ago and it's still holding great.  If it ever starts leaking again I might try some of the water based Slime that Fish was referring to.  I didn't even know they made it that way.

slow leaking tires - what do you use? - General Chat - ATV Honda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RubiDan said:

I put Sta-Flo starch in the little Kawasaki a few months ago and it's still holding great.  If it ever starts leaking again I might try some of the water based Slime that Fish was referring to.  I didn't even know they made it that way.

slow leaking tires - what do you use? - General Chat - ATV Honda

It has been a couple of years now that Slime is a new formula , it is water based , the old stuff was oil based and very messy and you needed gasoline to get it off the rim , tire guys wouldn't fix a tire if there was Slime in it , the new stuff when mixed with water is soapy and after cleaning the rim looks like new 

• Like 2

Fish and Rubi, I've already put slime in once. There are just so many cracks in these tires, I don't think I could put enough in here to help.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chevymec said:

Fish and Rubi, I've already put slime in once. There are just so many cracks in these tires, I don't think I could put enough in here to help.

if they are that dry rotted ?, then why not replace them ???. sigh.

My buddy did the same thing- one of his tires was so bad it actually peeled off the rim it was so dry rotted 

It was one of his front tires so he had his (drinking) buddy ride on the front left of the rack to keep the other( barely)

good tire on the ground and the other rim in the air for the 2 miles and 4 beers back to camp -good times

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, shadetree said:

$400-500 a set. Plus Christmas is right around the corner. Once hunting season is over it will sit in the shop. Hard to spend that kind of money if I can put a tube in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

From what I get out of " Reading " the story , it sounds like money issues !!! ---  We are all not loaded , sigh !!! 

8 hours ago, Chevymec said:

$400-500 a set. Plus Christmas is right around the corner. Once hunting season is over it will sit in the shop. Hard to spend that kind of money if I can put a tube in. 

Chevy , the local dealerships around here ,  do have one good deal going if you are looking for stock tires  , they sell the " Take-offs " for $200 per set of 4 , tires and rims mounted with valve stems and aired up ready to go  , when someone buys a new atv and upgrades the tires and rims , they sell the ones off the atv 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shadetree said:

Cause they still have good tread!  

I have a brand new Vampire that has 4-5 plugs in the sidewall.  It works, so it gets run!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Chevy , the local dealerships around here ,  do have one good deal going if you are looking for stock tires  , they sell the " Take-offs " for $200 per set of 4 , tires and rims mounted with valve stems and aired up ready to go  , when someone buys a new atv and upgrades the tires and rims , they sell the ones off the atv 

That's cheap.  Anyone looking at 12" wheels for a machine that comes with 11's would be a fool not to go that route.

• Like 1

I have the money, no problem. I've come to a point in my life where some times I look at stuff sometimes and see if it's really worth it.  It doesn't make me any money so there isn't any return except for a little fun factor. It sits most months. Kinda like an old beater car. As long as it works you don't spend much. 

And Fish, no stockers for me. 27s on my 500. I put the tube in at work and for the 1st time this hunting season, I haven't had to air up my tire!!

Edited by Chevymec

On 11/12/2021 at 1:30 AM, Fishfiles said:

From what I get out of " Reading " the story , it sounds like money issues !!! ---  We are all not loaded , sigh !!! 

lol..what makes you think i'm rich ??..lol. i'm so broke..i can't even pay attention !.

• Haha 1

as for what i'll be doing to my '03 trx450fm here soon ?, im replacing all clutch parts ( cept the one-way bearing ), all new friction plates, steel friction plates, outer clutch drum, new gasket, D.I.D. cam chain, clutch weight set, figured seeing how i'm going in ?, i may as well replace it all once i open her up on the front end.

• Like 2

Got some work done over the weekend. 

Daughter's boyfriend wants a 4wheeler to hunt on, so I told him if he wanted to help me rebuild a 500 that I'd sell it to him for what I have in it.  He came to the house yesterday and we tore down a 500 engine out of an 05 that I picked up last summer (the one with the jacked up/welded on frame).  Looks like some kids had this one as there were missing bolts, incorrect bolts, and lots of stuff that just wasn't put back together right.  The oil rings had come off of the piston and were down sitting on top of the crank, and the timing chain could be easily moved with my hand it was so stretched.

Anyhow, going to take cylinders to my guy in Memphis in the next week or so, and in the meantime I have one rebuilt crank from Vince on the shelf so I'll go ahead and go through the bottom end and get it put back together. 

I also found a set of Carlisle 489's that I forgot that I had, so I took those and mounted them on some 12" Foreman wheels.  Those will go on the 300 that I've been working on.  If I can get this one cleaned up pretty quickly a local guy wants it for his kid for Christmas.  Ordered a choke cable for it last week, and when that gets here I'll be able to make sure it runs correctly, slap some fenders on it and bleed the SuperATV disc conversion, and it will be ready to go.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Goober said:

Are y’all getting more money for quads these days?

Prices are high around here.  I haven't sold one in several months, but have a couple that are nearing completion.  My OCD keeps me tied up longer than I need to be fixing little nit-picky stuff that I probably should just leave alone.

• Like 1

thankfully, my ol 300 cranks every time I open the garage door.

just the usual few laps around my trails in the back woods this weekend before the storm moved through.

grankids are excited...week of Christmas I'm off work and have promised a lot of ride time...bringing the other unit over so we'll have 3 machines here to play on...checking to see if my other soninlaw will bring the hunt club rig here for the week too.

• Like 1

Got a little work done this weekend. 

The 85 250A is still a work in progress.  Got a new choke lever for it, got the carb in place along with the airbox and snorkel, and got it running.  The carb I got from Fishfiles still drips every once and while, but most of the time it doesn't.  My 06 Foreman was like that right after I rebuilt it, and it stopped once I started riding it regularly, so hopefully this one just needs to "set" like that one did.  Got the fear fender and rack reinstalled, and stitched up the crack on one side.  So now I need to put the front fender on, and I'm undecided as to whether I want to tackle the front brakes or just sell it as-is.  Rear brakes have new cables and work fine, so I'm leaning towards just selling it like it is, but I think I'll pull the front drums and see how bad everything looks.  If they're as clean as the other stuff I've taken apart I might try to get them working.

Also have a 98 300 that I bought trashed, and got a new choke cable in for it Friday and got it installed.  It starts and runs, but wants to die if I gag the throttle without the choke partially on.  If I feather it it revs up fine, so hopefully that can be adjusted out on the carb.  Got the oil changed, new air filter, and put a new spark plug in that one too, just to make sure that everything is eliminated except the carb.

Took little one out on the farm and opened up a few of my trails.  My father-in-law bought a Can Am SXS that he's leaving at our house for us to use, and my trails are cut for 4wheelers.  The SXS will fit but some spots are really really tight, so I opened them up a bit.  I don't want the wife beer'd up and trying to squeeze between two trees and tearing up the SXS, so I'm getting rid of as many of those tight spots as I can.

• Like 1

LOL...yeah, i've got one section deep in the woods that I originally cut for the 2 wheel bikes...but if you're a tad careful, the smaller 300 can make it just fine.  The bigger quads can be a problem and the wife has tried to snake the golf cart through there.. I have actually managed to get the golf cart through there when I was setting up the haunted trail, which parallels this hidden woods trail.. I used this smaller trail to position the honda eu2000 and all the power lines I had to run to feed the main trail creature features.

I probably should get out there now that all the summer green has died back and take the Echo brush blade to the 2-3" trees that really the problem.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not cutting anything big.  Largest tree I cut yesterday was about 8", but it was a trash tree, so no loss. 

I've got a lot of work to do over the winter while the leaves are off, and I'm going to have to widen a ditch crossing as well, as there is a chute that's just wide enough for a 4wheeler climbing up the side of a pretty deep ditch.