dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

I plowed snow at my house for 4 hours yesterday and 3 hours at the hunting shack today. Lots of laughs.

Jumped off it as it was sliding backwards down an icy hill 😬 Sending it crashing into my buddies Kawi BF. Strangely enough we couldnt see any damage, tho i'll check more today in the daylight ...couldve been bad had i stayed on it 🤨  Good times!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Decided to spray off the mud on the Foreman from hunting season. Noticed a crack on the LF upper splash guard. It pretty much  disintegrated as soon as I touched it. Just ordered up a new left and right guard. 

20220109_134352.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chevymec said:

Decided to spray off the mud on the Foreman from hunting season. Noticed a crack on the LF upper splash guard. It pretty much  disintegrated as soon as I touched it. Just ordered up a new left and right guard. 

20220109_134352.jpg

We probably ought to be hoarding a couple of sets of these just in case in the future prices on them do like Honda 300 flares

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

We probably ought to be hoarding a couple of sets of these just in case in the future prices on them do like Honda 300 flares

Might be on to something. I got both sets online for $50 shipped. Ebay seller wanted over $80 for the same.

for you boys up north, this isn't even a dusting, but for the Carolinas...well, they get a tad excited. My wife is a Carolina girl, so this ol Ohio boy spent most of my time today sitting around waiting on her to take pictures of 'all the snow"

did get a bit of riding in though...pretty morning.

Blue Snowday.jpg

• Like 5

Well today I did a really good clean of the garage.. then decided to fire up the ole girl.... she hasnt ran since last Nov... took couple cranks, but came alive as she always does... let er warm up, & gave some good revs... Next couple days I'll do full fluid change & get er ready for this spring!

• Like 4

I am always amazed that my 300 can sit for a month and is ready to crank...a bit cold natured, so when it has set..yeah...couple taps on the start button...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bighanded said:

I am always amazed that my 300 can sit for a month and is ready to crank...a bit cold natured, so when it has set..yeah...couple taps on the start button...

i have a battery tender hooked up so I plug er in once a month for a top up. I have a 300ex carb so couple pumps of throttle & squirts a shot of fuel in for easier start. 

• Like 1

actually just came back in from a short ride...we have had a couple days of flooding rain..last night was the one that put the creek over...woods flooded etc...so wanted to ride out on the property and see how bad things were...the wife likes to take pictures.

so yeah, first time starting the ol 300 in about a month...and man did I have to dig into the choke...but after about 5 spins on the starter it kicked in...let it warm up...and sure appreciate the old air cooled design on a day like today..winds in the 40mph and chilly !!

getting down to 20 tonight...mind you, we've had 80 degrees just last week...welcome to the Carolinas.

• Like 2

Finally took the time to go over the ole girl. 

Yesterday I got both diffs & trans case drained, flushed, & refilled. Gave er a go over.

Today I’m going at the mysterious valve cover leak again.  I’ve tried in the past both red high temp & Honda Bond. Leaked with both. So I’m on fence which one to go back with… 

found my crank case vent cracked as well, so I have to replace that too

image.jpg

C1F8D2D7-73F6-48DA-A048-5A9C84BB56B8.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Had some of the ATV's out for the weekend and was trying to get threw some deep snow.

450ES my logging ATV with 26" ITP 589 and temp in the teens makes the snow like sugar and spun it down and set the ATV on the frame and done in the snow.
The Extra chainsaws/log chains/Log Arch on the back dosn'et help this atv out in the snow though.450es snow stuck.jpg

Next day temp in the low 40s and my 450S ATV with 26 Mudzilla tires and it floats right on threw the same spot but the snow acted totally different it just packed down and this ATV is probally 300 pounds lighter than the Logging ATV.  Plus the Mudzilla tires are wider than the 589 which provided more float.450 foreman2 snow.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 4:49 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Took about 2 months, but I finally got them!

Also pushed it out of the shop...... All the gas leaked out somewhere.... Still fighting to get the gas smell out of the shop.

Edited by Chevymec
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chevymec said:

Took about 2 months, but I finally got them!

Also pushed it out of the shop...... All the gas leaked out somewhere.... Still fighting to get the gas smell out of the shop.

maybe Consume, will help. cost bout 16 dollars, but last a long time. i mix it with water. i had chicks in the basement once, wont do that again, it helped get rid of the smell. charcoal powder might help. doubt it is made, besides, a potential explosion might occur. the gas had to go somewhere. see if a bit of water, will leave a trail.

• Like 1

Yeah on those gravity feed models, I’m guessing fuel in the carb evaporates, float drops down and the tank leaks out through  the overflow. I try to run mine every month

to get the vapors out of the concrete will take time or a great cleanser

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

yesterday I hopped on my Honda, put it in netrual and coasted down the driveway...wheeeeee!!  fun.  When I can afford the gas, I'll start it and drive it back up the hill  (Grin)

• Haha 2

I took a running 300, put a nice new top end on it, got the timing chain hung up in the bottom, pulled the side cover off and dropped the kick start washer into the crankcase, took the new top end back off,  and then dropped the 300 on my knee.

Successful afternoon of wrenching! 

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, Wheeler said:

Yesterday I got both diffs & trans case drained, flushed, & refilled. Gave er a go over.

Today I’m going at the mysterious valve cover leak again.  I’ve tried in the past both red high temp & Honda Bond. Leaked with both. So I’m on fence which one to go back with… 

image.jpg

not sure if you know this or not ?, but the rocker box on a trx300fw, has been known to leak oil from a few places. one being the end of the rocker shafts , they require an o-ring, but they are a pain to remove. second: there is one spot i know of for sure near the spark plug , rocker box bolt, it requires a copper washer on it, look for a stamped arrow near the bolt holes, if there is an arrow facing the bolt holt ?, it must have a copper washer on that bolt !. cam chain end cap shaft, right top side, black, they tend to leak from there. decompression level, there is an oil seal there, they wear out, and leak oil. last but not least, yamabond on the rocker box !!. DO NOT GET ANY ON THE CAM JOURNAL FOR THE OILING !!!.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I took a running 300, put a nice new top end on it, got the timing chain hung up in the bottom, pulled the side cover off and dropped the kick start washer into the crankcase, took the new top end back off,  and then dropped the 300 on my knee.

Successful afternoon of wrenching! 

we would not be nechanics if we did not screw up !..lol. welcome to my world.

• Like 1

I’ve definitely torn up a lot of stuff through the years, it’s just part of the learning process -lol

You just chalk it up for experience, pay for your mistake and try not to do it a second time….

Edited by AKATV

On 3/14/2022 at 1:15 PM, Wheeler said:

image.jpg

(……Jealously notices 424 front driveshaft disconnect….)

• Haha 1