dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Took the rubi for a spin today, weather lately has been mild during the day and cold at night, with the added rain in the mornings the snow is hard enough to support the weight of the quad without sinking any. Not ideal for snowmobile,  but I can just about go anywhere on the quad. I'm not brave enough to try it out that much cause there is still about 2 feet of snow left.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AKATV said:

(……Jealously notices 424 front driveshaft disconnect….)

I have a spare too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Set the valves, got the quad all back together & going to do an oil/filter change then wash all the deer blood off from last fall. 

• Like 4

Gonna drive an hour to pick up a red front head light grill. My current one broke as the LED Pods are hair to big. I’ll have to Dremel the new to me one out so they fit perfect. Other than that the ole girl ready for another year of bush camping!

• Like 3

I used my Honda as a bribe yesterday...we were visiting one of my daughters and the topic of coming over for Easter came up.  We always get the entire gang together (18 of us)...but regardless  of food etc, the focus seems to be on the egg hunt (which most of the grands have outgrown) and family pictures.  My daughter let me know she didn't plan to come and spend "hours" (exageration) doing pictures.  But in the end she did say they would come.

I sealed the deal by mentioning that the hondas would be out and wanting to be ridden.. my grandaughter LOVES the old blue fourtrax.  so she lit up when I mentioned some ride time...that bribe will ensure that she makes her parents come. (grin)

of all of my 8 grands, she's the one that the Fourtrax will have to be passed on to.  The kid will plant her butt on that bike 5 times longer than anyone..including me....actually, for now, I always ride with her...so I guess that means I get as much saddle time.  But yeah...Hondas make great bribes !

• Like 6

I prepped the ES system in my 04 TRX350ES today following Retros directions.

There was barely any grease on the reduction gears and what was there were dried clumps of crap!

I took off all the plastics and went through entire harness and cleaned all connections and applied dielectric grease to them.

I got the rear plastics back on and will finish putting the front plastics back on tomorrow.

Many thanks to @retro for his thread on how to properly prep the ES system!

My cousin dropped off his 08 Foreman 500ES today that is throwing angle sensor codes, so that will be next one on the lift for a thorough ES system prep.

• Like 4

I handed the keys to my son-in-law and enjoyed watching him ride off down the trail with my grandaughter.  Feels good to see the next two generations enjoying my 30 yr old machine.

• Like 4

Changed the oil 3 times on my buddy's kid's 420AT that he apparently sank at some point and didn't tell anyone.

Oil coming out after the 3rd gallon of rotella is clean, but we all know how that goes.  If he's lucky a bunch of grit didn't get in there.  More than likely, like most sunk machines, he got some grit in the bottom end and I'll have to tear the whole thing down at some point.

I have work to do on my own machines though, so I told him to come get it, and his kid will just have to ride it and if it starts smoking, check the oil frequently and add oil until I get my own stuff in order, then I'll rebuild it for him.

• Like 3

Buddy  dropped off a Kawasaki 300 Bayou , he said it did not have any spark , @THH linked me a manual , but no procedures to check CDI , took a chance after finding a used CDI  at PSN , an OEM CDI is $480 pls tax and shipping , it came in the mail today , stuck it in and got fire now  , hit it with a shot of starting fluid and it will start up , called to tell him to come get it and he asked if it is running , so I tell him kind of , carb and tank dirty , bt runs on starting fluid ,  so now he wants me to get it running , I think it is going to be sitting there in the yard for a while , cause I have a lot of work to do on my 4 wheelers ---   LOL 

• Like 2

I hear you Fish.  I get the same thing.  "Go ahead and do the top end while you have it."

In the meantime, I need to swap an engine into my 09 (engine is rebuilt, sitting in my shop floor), dig into the carb on my 06, and adjust the 424 on my kid's 300.

• Like 2

I have my cousins 08 Foreman 500 ES on the lift, ES system is giving him trouble.

While removing all the plastics I noticed the clutch adjustment bolt was broken and seized in the case so I put a parts list together and ordered from RM ATV.

Parts were delivered yesterday and I removed the front crankcase cover today and replaced clutch adjust bolt and got the ES shift motor all cleaned and prepped with new grease.

Crankcase gasket was a real joy to get cleaned off!!

I got the crankcase cover back on, shift motor back in place. new oil and filter and adjusted the clutch.

Started on cleaning and dielectric greasing the harness connections.

About half of the connections are cleaned and greased and I hope to finish up the rest in the morning.

• Like 3

Got up early this morning to knock out the dams again. Supposed to rain all day.

I have to walk about 100 yards from where I park my ride. I noticed something that didn’t look “natural” and picked this up.

I don’t know anyone who owns a Yamaha, and I have seen no sign of anyone besides me being back on this part of the farm and the 13 years that I’ve lived here.

Don’t know if it’s something that washed up in the floodwaters or if someone is sneakier than I thought

17760C83-10D7-4E27-98E0-52E308563E61.jpeg

• Like 1

I finished cleaning and greasing the rest of harness connections on cousins 08 foreman 500.

Installed rear plastics and seat and took it for a good rip, about four miles and it shifts better than ever with no fault codes.

Time consuming process to prep ES system correctly but worth it in the end!!

I will finish putting front plastics on it tomorrow.

It needs a new seat cover and I have sent a message to the guy @jeepwm69 recommends to get them from to see if he can get me one.

• Like 2

Seat redo ----   1/2 yard marine grade black vinyl at the local fabric shop with a coupon about  $5 , Harbor Freight cheapie on sale air stapler $10  , total about $15 total ---- the hardest thing is digging out the old staples  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, THH said:

I finished cleaning and greasing the rest of harness connections on cousins 08 foreman 500.

Installed rear plastics and seat and took it for a good rip, about four miles and it shifts better than ever with no fault codes.

Time consuming process to prep ES system correctly but worth it in the end!!

I will finish putting front plastics on it tomorrow.

That's your 2nd ES in a week! Looks like we have another thorough prepper onboard solving ES problems, thanks for sharing your work!!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, retro said:

That's your 2nd ES in a week! Looks like we have another thorough prepper onboard solving ES problems, thanks for sharing your work!!!

Yes, two in a row and real happy with the results for sure!

Taking your time and being thorough makes all the difference.

My cousin wanted to buy sensors or harness by-pass kit and I said nope, Im just going to get gaskets and o-rings for whatever I take apart and prep it right before throwing unnecessary money at it.

Complete connection cleaning, proper grease and time is all it took to shift better than it ever has.

• Like 2

I actually RODE my atv today.  Gorgeous day, lower 80’s with a gusty wind blowing.  Lots of mud but not a complete bog.

Perfect riding day

The new snorkel kept water out of the engine but the Rancher died every time he went in up to the seat.  No idea what caused it to die, but probably a good thing unless I want to rebuild that engine constantly.

EF501BAF-2097-4F9F-B0F2-3FB3BD3787C3.jpeg

02A989C8-491D-4A49-90BD-094A50D8ACFA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

after 4 yrs., i can work on my 2000 foreman 450es. sciatica bites. i got plenty of catching up to do. i will be a pleasure as to sitting or laying on the couch. there is still a bit of pain in these unused joints of mine, muscles. such is life.. if ya aint building up, least staying even, your wasting away.

Beautiful day here yesterday.   Loaded up the dog and spent a few hours out exploring the flooding.  River up about 10 feet and starting to flood the lower farmlands.  Soil in the floodplain drains well so 24 hour after the rains I was arrowhead hunting without getting muddy.  Wife and dog got bored watching me pick up chips so that didn't last long.  May go over alone and spend a few hours alone looking.  Thousands of years of Native American history here.  One reason I'm have such strong beliefs about being a good steward of the land.

• Like 3

Got an early start on the day and got a lot more accomplished than a old retired fart should so took Roxie the Lab for a ride on the wife's TRX300FW looking for arrow heads.  Found more slivers and then went to the pond for a while.  Even less luck there.  Still good to get out and the old Honda is just the right tool for the job.

• Like 3

I took off my oversized tires/wheels on my 2014 trx 420 and put the stock wheels and tires back on. Several years ago I installed new  "pull offs" from my local Honda dealer from a 500 foreman. They are an inch taller. Originally I liked it because they were a little smoother and it went much faster........almost like another half gear above 5th. Since I own another identical machine and ride it as much as the other I finally admitted the smaller wheels are best. The wheeler has much more power in every gear and frankly makes the riding almost effortless. Honda did a good job matching the power to gear ratios on this machine........however the gap between 4th and 5th is a big one.......a little too big.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:12 AM, 56Sierra said:

Beautiful day here yesterday.   Loaded up the dog and spent a few hours out exploring the flooding.  River up about 10 feet and starting to flood the lower farmlands.  Soil in the floodplain drains well so 24 hour after the rains I was arrowhead hunting without getting muddy.  Wife and dog got bored watching me pick up chips so that didn't last long.  May go over alone and spend a few hours alone looking.  Thousands of years of Native American history here.  One reason I'm have such strong beliefs about being a good steward of the land.

Where do you live?

2 hours ago, Misterclean said:

I thought you may live close to the Sierras.

The only mountain around here is a crest of a small hill where section 8 housing was built.  We call it Welfare Mtn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2