dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

We had a beautiful two day ride through my hunting area and stayed at my hunting shack. Put on 98 miles. Weather was excellent. Saw a black bear, some whitetail deer, ruffed grouse, ducks, geese, swans etc. Lots of moose, bear and timber wolf tracks. Bugs will be getting heavy now so that will do for awhile.

• Like 4

strapped on the chain saw and limb saw and headed out back to clear trails...got roughed up a bit the other night...had 5 areas where large limbs came down...one actual tree trunk..the rest, just large limbs (ie from arm to leg thigh size)..the Echos made quick work...harder to pick it all up and move it than it is to cut it.

but anything too heavy..that's what the old Fourtrax is for.

• Like 1

Today I installed my new front grill. I took a burr bit & gently opened it up to accommodate the lights. I just jammed it in there before which hence caused it to crack. I tore into the wiring & found it all good but switch was broken for the  hand warmers. New one in order from Amazon. & after I finish that all up the front diff is coming out & I’ll press all the bearings ha out for when the new bearing seal kit arrives tomorrow. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

Got the lights in, grill all good, electrical zip tied back up, rack on ect... haven't pulled the diff yet. Decided that Im going to install the manual cam chain adjuster I picked up few years back.. I loved the old one I used on other quad... I'll get that on then the diff coming out... Need to be ready for my 2 weeks in the bush camping.... this ole girl gonna see some miles...

• Like 2

Got a lot done this weekend. 

My brother in law got my father in law's rough 2006 Rubicon, and brought it down for some TLC.

Front drain plug was gaumed up and dripping, so replaced that, replaced his green fenders with some yellow I had in my parts pile, replaced both front upper a-arms (had some with new bushings in them) and knuckles (had some with new bearings in them) and replaced both CV's with spares I had as his inner boots were both shot.  Also put a new battery on there, and discovered that a Yuasa battery has jumped up quite a bit in price.  I was getting them for about $70 and now they're over $80.

Took two full mornings to get everything taken care of, but he shouldn't have any problems out of his front end for a long time, and hopefully the engine will hold up (this is the one that was stolen, ridden hard, and then recovered).  Engine is making some pretty loud rattling noises but runs fine, so I'm leaving that part alone till he starts having issues with it. 

Yesterday I got the 424 on my eldest daughter's 300 lubed up and reinstalled, so it will now lock into 2wd again.  Still having carb issues with this machine.  I think the float needle is hanging up.  It doesn't act like it's getting fuel at all, and after messing with it for a few mins, it will finally run and stay running, and work fine till it sits for more than a day or two.  Always fires on starter fluid, so definitely a fuel delivery problem.  Going to take it off and clean it out good when I get time.

Hotter than hades here so I was pretty sore and beat after three straight 1/2 days wrenching out in the heat.

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Still having carb issues with this machine.  I think the float needle is hanging up.  It doesn't act like it's getting fuel at all, and after messing with it for a few mins, it will finally run and stay running, and work fine till it sits for more than a day or two.  Always fires on starter fluid, so definitely a fuel delivery problem.  Going to take it off and clean it out good when I get time.

Sounds like the rubber end of float needle might be hardening up (rubber looks shiny?) and may be wearing a ring into itself where the rubber has been sealing in the seat?

I have found a way to fix those pesky needle/seat issues.... I now just use a cotton Q-Tip soaked with rubbing compound to lightly polish the corrosion off from the brass seat by twisting the wetted Q-Tip with my thumb and finger. Doesn't take much effort, the brass seat should shine up pretty quickly using rubbing compound. Clean the rubbing compound residue out of the seat with Berryman B-12 Carb spray and compressed air when you're done.

Then I spray a small area of a paper towel with Berryman B-12 Chemtool Carburetor, Choke & Throttle Body Cleaner and pinch the wetted paper towel between a finger and thumb to create a "V" shaped depression. Then pinch the pointed rubber end of the float needle in the wet "V" with your other hand and rotate the needle valve in the wetted "V" with your fingers a couple quick turns. Quickly dry the rubber tip in the same manner (using a dry area of the paper towel shaped by your finger and thumb into a "V" shape). The black stain that you see on the wet paper towel is Viton rubber being removed from the needle tip by Berrymans....

At this point the rubber tip should be beginning to appear a bit less shiny... the sealing ring that is worn into the rubber should be disappearing too. Repeat the twisting in Berrymans step and quick drying step one or two times more until the rubber tip begins to look a bit more like a new one. Don't overdo it.... the Berryman carb spray will begin to melt the rubber tip if you allow the rubber to remain wet too long.... but repeat those steps until the old worn-in sealing ring is gone and the rubber surface appears ever so slightly fuzzy looking. They look new and work like a new needle valve when you're done!

This fixes the pesky 350 Rancher sticking float valve problem too, and those are the toughest to fix of all Honda ATVs that I've ever seen. Best part is ya don't ever need to replace any parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today I replaced the 4 balljoints & front wheel bearings with Moose Racing. Cheaper than OEM & I hope better than Allballs, but who knows. Have to weld up the brackets on my oil cooler as they broke & get that re-installed as well. Then she’s good to go…

• Like 2

I forgot to add… this is what u will need to press out/in balljoints on a 300…

Modified 36mm socket 

32mm socket 

Large C-Clamp

Vise

Air Chisel to remove upper Balljoints

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got more work done on my 09 this weekend.  I put the rebuilt engine with a 15% GR in last week.  Engine cranked out and sounded great, but wouldn't shift!

So stood it up, and pulled the front cover.  Didn't find anything amiss, put it back together and shifter wouldn't move again. 

Pulled it all the way apart to make sure I had everything in the shift linkage like it should be.  Checked the clutches and GR to make sure they were right.  Put it all back together and now it shifts.  Still no idea what was causing the binding LOL

While I had it up I stuck a grease gun needle under the boots on the ball joints and tie rod ends and shot some Lucas red and tacky up in them. 

Biggest PITA was drilling out the two bolts that twisted off when I took the front bumper off.  Got them drilled out, and my tap wrench wasn't big enough to take the 8.2MM tap for my helicoil kit, so will pick one up today at the hardware store.

Trying to decide if I should put antiseize on the threads when I bolt the bumper back on.  Those bottom bumper bolts seem to always twist off when I tear down one of these 05-11 500's.

Also stripped down the parts Rubicon I picked up a while back.  Got everything pulled and put in the shop.  Rear of the frame is trashed, so it went onto the "Not getting rid of it, but need it out of the way" pile. 

09.jpg

09 engine.jpg

• Like 4

went to visit some of my family on Sunday. they've moved out to a country home..grandson (15) now has a short trail he can ride on... son-in-law, has a cheap chinese made ATV (brand name not important).

anyway, I trailed my 300 over there, hopped on, and with the tap of the start button the 1993 SNAPPED to life as always.

then I had to wait 10 mins while they struggled to get the chinese junk to start and run...and then to run consistently enough to take a spin.

my son-in-law, still learning his lesson, said he's going to go shopping for any old older honda. (smil)

• Like 2

Let us know how you make out I’ve always had pretty good luck for the most part

• Like 1

Actually went out for a ride yesterday with the guys.  We're down to about twice a year with everyone having families etc, and it was horribly dry and dusty yesterday, but we had a good time visiting.

When we got home my neighbor had dropped off his 2005 (I think) 400AT Rancher for me to see if I can get his carb bowl to stop leaking.  I guess it might have sat up for awhile (check out the ODO!), likely with ethanol gas in it........

ride.jpg

sandbar.jpg

Max Rancher.jpg

max rancher 3.jpg

max rancher2.jpg

• Like 5

Four of us were at the hunting shack for 11 days. Put on about 250 miles. Ran through some pretty bad clay and places flooded by beaver. Had a great time. Today it was time for maintenance. Changed oil and filter, air filter, blew carbon out of exhaust and installed a new battery as the old one was 7 years old and didn't want to take a chance.

IMG_20221005_095655698_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221005_112330490_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220930_145627545.jpg

IMG_20221002_172212948.jpg

IMG_20221003_140440083_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

Picked up a batch of cylinders today.  My guy about doubled his price, which sucks, but he’s still cheap as heck and does good work, do I paid him, thanked him, and gave him more cylinders lol.

He was at $30/cylinder, now he was $350 for 6.

He cleans them in a heated vat, scrapes off the old gaskets, and has them looking new and ready to go, so still very reasonable for the work he performs.  The only hitch is I drop them off and leave him alone, so sometimes it takes him a while to get them done.

These 6 were with him from April to now.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, PROV said:

Four of us were at the hunting shack for 11 days. Put on about 250 miles. Ran through some pretty bad clay and places flooded by beaver. Had a great time. Today it was time for maintenance. Changed oil and filter, air filter, blew carbon out of exhaust and installed a new battery as the old one was 7 years old and didn't want to take a chance.

IMG_20221005_095655698_HDR.jpg

Me thinks you be moose hunters . . . ?

Great Pics!G

Gun boots . . . . Kolpin shortened cap. Marine poly sealer, and added handle. We mount our Kolpins on the right side of the front rack pointing forward. Without the cap on, you can dismount while sliding the rifle out. It's quite fast.

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

Edited by Macarena Man
  • Like 2

Ruffed grouse hunting now and whitetails in November. I've had my scabbard mounted by my hip and facing rearward for years. Fastest way for me to dismount while drawing my firearm. Also keeps it from sticking out and getting snagged.

• Like 4

Guy about halfway between work and home had "some 500 parts" for sale.  Looks like a bottom end with a shot rod, white rear fender, green front fender, gas tank, front diff/CV's/a-arms/knuckles/brakes, and a rear end and a half.  Said he wanted $500 for all of it.

I went by to look at it, figuring I'd offer quite a bit less depending on the condition of splines etc, and he also had a front bumper, wiring harness, meter, front rack, and some other odds and ends.  He threw out $400, and I told him if he'd throw in the set of 12" factory wheels I'd take all of it.

Going by to pick it up on the way home from work today.

I have hoarding tendencies bad, but ! if prices on this stuff don't just keep going up and up, so I'm trying to hoard spares since I plan on riding my 06 and 09 till I die, and the 2 Rubicons that I also plan on keeping forever use the same racks, fenders, diffs, brakes etc

• Like 6

Used my 300 4x4 to help the Old John Deere 140 pull my Sugar Shack up closer to the winter setup location.

This is the first year Ill be cooking inside a little shed and may build a bigger shed next year but for this year I'll be boiling inside vs outside.  Still have to finish off the entry side of the shack and get a door put in.

300 and 140 pulling sugar shack.jpg

• Like 3

Its wood cutting season for me so I been busy with my loggint ATV setup getting wood cut for this winter.

This Beast has pulled alot of wood around and hauled alot as well.

20221030_122555.jpg

20221030_122607.jpg

20221030_133202.jpg

20221030_144254.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/25/2022 at 10:47 AM, sublime68charger said:

Used my 300 4x4 to help the Old John Deere 140 pull my Sugar Shack up closer to the winter setup location.

This is the first year Ill be cooking inside a little shed and may build a bigger shed next year but for this year I'll be boiling inside vs outside.  Still have to finish off the entry side of the shack and get a door put in.

300 and 140 pulling sugar shack.jpg

Beauty! My daughter has my Dad’s ol 120

F7618612-ACF8-43DC-BE80-D1A37C6D1F3E.jpeg

• Like 5