dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Fixed my buddy's 350 for him  , was squeaking bad , brake pedal was stuck down hard and wouldn't come up even by pulling on it , worked my butt off getting the pedal off , I like that Triple Guard Grease , brakes work good front and rear on this one 

G2rz%uZRTY2yAclxu2EAPg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_109e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_109d.jpeg

• Like 1

Seen that a bunch of times at LJ ....... I didn't think about t's idea till i saw this pic..... Why couldn't a man drill a small hole in back side ( in back side of the frame ) in the end of that rod and drill straight in till about half of the length THEN go in from the side till those two veins connected ... Then add a zerk problem sovled..... Those and the rear brake panel arm ( 300 and a few other models) are the main ones we saw locked up..... Yet could be easily modded to not be such a pita!..... Never understood why honda maker of the worlds best atvs.. Didnt do something about those two issues. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Seen that a bunch of times at LJ ....... I didn't think about t's idea till i saw this pic..... Why couldn't a man drill a small hole in back side ( in back side of the frame ) in the end of that rod and drill straight in till about half of the length THEN go in from the side till those two veins connected ... Then add a zerk problem sovled..... Those and the rear brake panel arm ( 300 and a few other models) are the main ones we saw locked up..... Yet could be easily modded to not be such a pita!..... Never understood why honda maker of the worlds best atvs.. Didnt do something about those two issues. 

Yep , a  grease fitting ( Zerk ) would have been nice , I have had quite a few froze up before ------  I used Aero Kroil and kept working it , thought I was going to have to heat it up with the torch   ---- lucky the brake backing plate cam was free and smooth , I did grease the cable while it was off  -------- his seat really needs recovering , but this was a freebee , I might do the seat for him 

• Like 1

Yeah they are a pain when they freeze up..... I've ot several zerk busters.... I'll post them in the shop tool thread.... I'm quiet sure you've seen or used some of these, being I'm kinda caught up.. And it's NICE outside ..... Lol! I'll get them from my tool chest and post them shortly, oh and i might well update... I can't find a pic of that johndeere issue cresant wrench.... I bet my pops has it over at the main shop... I was thinking it's black oxide... But could be mistaken..... But i haven't forgot about posting it.... It's not going anywhere, but I've been curious as to if it has much more then stock value... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sublime68charger said:

Honda TRX 125 in the deep snow had to get off and push along side but made it threw just fine having chains on the rear tires helps alot though!Trx 125 George side stuck.jpg

Trx 125 George Stuck.jpg

wow , dat white dirt you'll got dare  is pretty cool ! 

36 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

wow , dat white dirt you'll got dare  is pretty cool ! 

It is cool and fun to drive in.  But has its limit's as to much become not fun at all!  This was the limit of the 125 but fun to try the drift regardless.

2 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

Honda TRX 125 in the deep snow had to get off and push along side but made it threw just fine having chains on the rear tires helps alot though!Trx 125 George side stuck.jpg

Trx 125 George Stuck.jpg

I need to dig into @basfnb's 125.  Pretty sure his neighbor's kid destroyed the subtransmission.  I will start and run but won't shift. 

He dropped off a good sub-transmission for it.  I need to tear into it and see what I find.

I have 2 of the 85-86 TRX125's.  Hopefully I'll be able to put together a runner from the two for the little one when she gets a little older. 

22 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Fixed my buddy's 350 for him  , was squeaking bad , brake pedal was stuck down hard and wouldn't come up even by pulling on it , worked my butt off getting the pedal off , I like that Triple Guard Grease , brakes work good front and rear on this one 

G2rz%uZRTY2yAclxu2EAPg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_109e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_109d.jpeg

Yeah I did a zerk on the one on the wife's (she stole it) Rubicon when I was going through it.  Did a post on the old board about it, but will cut and paste.

When I was working on a Rubicon a couple of weeks ago the rear foot brake was locked up, so I took it off, cleaned it up, and added a zerk. Now it can easily be greased if it starts getting sticky. (pictured)

zerk.jpg

• Like 3

The metal of the brake pedal pivot tube is so thin , seems you could only get one thread at the most ,  guess that is all you really need ---- Honda could have had a snap ring on the end of the pivot shaft and drilled and tap the shaft with a journal right in the middle 

Thicker than you think it is.  I was worried about the zerk threads going in too deep and bottoming out, but it screwed all the way in and didn't contact the shaft the pedal slides onto.

• Like 2

No no no..... Not like that.... Like this .... Drill from the back side of the frame where the pivot rod sticks through (welded) drill straight in...bout half way ??  Then move to outside and drill a right angle journal in till it connects with the journal drilled from the back side.. Put your zerk fitting on tha back side (rod hole) . Then just grease till you see a tad bit of grease push past those little rubber seals on each side of the peddle pivot..... Then you don't have to worry about bottoming out a zerk fitting on the peddle pivot..

Going out for a New Years Ride in the middle of the bush with my wife tomorrow..

So... going over the quad today. Haven't run er since the first week of Oct.

Pulled the 424 knob apart, cleaned & lubed up.

I've always had to give the 300ex carb two pumps to start.. so swapping the 40 Pilot for a 42 Pilot.

Charged the battery (it was good already) 

Setting the valves. 

Checked the plug, & oh yeah... like my sig says... leaner is meaner! haha

There is gonna be a TON of snow in the bush, so hard to say how many trails I'll be able to concour but I'll try! The GoPro Hero 8 will be with me so I can try & toss up a couple videos of where I ride...

Ordered new Kimpex foot pegs today too. I'm going to fab up some arms so my wife will be able to sit a lot more comfortable...

• Like 3

Yup the 42 slow jet did trick! Tweaked the fuel screw, & she blows doughnuts like a champ out on the road! lol. 

All ready for tomorrows run!

The starter solenoid acting out, & will need to be replaced, but that's minor!

• Like 4

Just doubled checked rear end before I load quad up. Both rear hubs loose. Got them tightened up & new cotter pins. However, I have to order a new set of East Lake Hubs as mine are wore. I should have put two new ones on couple years back when I replaced the axle.. 

• Like 3

Buddy had a torn CV on 

his 06 500.  Swapped in a used OEM axle, but still pulls to the right so will have to figure out what he did to it 

94CB8668-0D11-4E75-A06B-50E912C419D2.jpeg

• Like 2

I think  the 500 has a left and right axle ?? Could it be the wrong axle  on the wrong side , or brake dragging or a bad bearing maybe 

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I think  the 500 has a left and right axle ?? Could it be the wrong axle  on the wrong side , or brake dragging or a bad bearing maybe 

Yeah the right is longer, but I got a right axle and put in there.  Brakes seem to be working fine, and the bearing has a hair of play in it but not bad, and I greased it while I had the knuckle off (have a machined integrations greaser that slides up in the bearing and pushes grease up in through the inner race gap).

He flipped this one last year, and I have a feeling he bent something that isn't easy to see with the naked eye.

• Like 1

I think the frames can get tweaked real easy 

My buddy Ricky B. bought a 420 really cheap  from another buddy named Ricky B.  a couple of years ago , Ricky gave up on it , that atv was flipped on the backroad to my house at 3:00 in the morning  , lucky no one was killed or even hurt too bad , I heard they were wide open racing and one walked over and tapped the other and he went in the ditch which is fairly deep   ,  the atv couldn't be driven home ,  between the two of them ,  they changed every a-arm front and rear ( IRS ) , steering bars , stabilizer bar , knuckles , even  tried 4 rims and tires and the handlebars  still pull out your hands so bad you  can't ride it , I had a go at it and your fighting hard and  as soon as you let go the bars it goes into a hard  u-turn  ,   he thinks the frame is bent , as far as I know it is still in his yard collecting dust 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I think the frames can get tweaked real easy 

My buddy Ricky B. bought a 420 really cheap  from another buddy named Ricky B.  a couple of years ago , Ricky gave up on it , that atv was flipped on the backroad to my house at 3:00 in the morning  , lucky no one was killed or even hurt too bad , I heard they were wide open racing and one walked over and tapped the other and he went in the ditch which is fairly deep   ,  the atv couldn't be driven home ,  between the two of them ,  they changed every a-arm front and rear ( IRS ) , steering bars , stabilizer bar , knuckles , even  tried 4 rims and tires and the handlebars  still pull out your hands so bad you  can't ride it , I had a go at it and your fighting hard and  as soon as you let go the bars it goes into a hard  u-turn  ,   he thinks the frame is bent , as far as I know it is still in his yard collecting dust 

I had the 09 that I bought new (my first and only new Honda) bent when my sister and her idiot friend hit a tree with it at 30mph.  I ended up frame swapping it.  Couldn't tell the frame was bent looking at it, but once the fenders and racks were on, it just looked a little sideways.

Once i got it stripped down and set the frame on flat ground you could see where it was twisted a bit on the front from the impact.   I kept it along with the 06 500 frame I had with stripped swingarm bolts (frame swapped that one too), figured I  can cut the rear from the 09, weld it to the front of the 06, and have a straight frame if I ever need another one.  Frames used to be cheap from PSN.  Now they've gotten HIGH.

I have a feeling my buddy tweaked something.  A-arms looked ok, but it pulls to the right pretty good.  I'm going to check air pressure and adjust the steering first and see if I can get it to drive straight.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

(have a machined integrations greaser that slides up in the bearing and pushes grease up in through the inner race gap).

Hm....... Out of all the greasing tools and gadgets..... I have ..... I don't have one of those YET....... Looks very handy.... I know over the years i could have put a lot of hours on one...appreciate the idea, Jeep.... Tuned in for what you find out on this bike your wrenching on

Yesterday I fabed up a hand shifter.  Just need to drill a couple of holes then weld and paint it today.

I personally like the hand shifters 23E5B98A-FBE9-41D4-94A5-777569FD98FE.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Hm....... Out of all the greasing tools and gadgets..... I have ..... I don't have one of those YET....... Looks very handy.... I know over the years i could have put a lot of hours on one...appreciate the idea, Jeep.... Tuned in for what you find out on this bike your wrenching on

They work well.  It's a PITA in the sense that you have to pull the knuckle or a-arms so you can pull the CV out of the knuckle so you can get the tool up in the bearing, but once you do all of that it does a great job of getting grease up into the bearing.

https://www.machinedintegrations.com/atv-utv-products/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got a few things done and going 

The hitch on the rear axle next to the grease gun, acts like a plow , cut that hitch up as and making a hook hitch that will not cause a problem dragging the ruts 

Finished the hand shifter and by-passed the reverse lock by adjusting the cable , it works smooth 

found one floorboard on a parts 300 and stuck it on  this blue 300 , going to try and make a left floor board to match 

Playing around with the winch  , I had a part bike with a cracked frame , it has a custom made winch mount welded to it , I cut it off and going to use it to fab a winch mount , did not take a pic of that 

w+V4nNEtRDyRE%+q8Qhw+Q.jpg

fullsizeoutput_10b5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_10b2.jpeg

wgaixFhsQ1SOIHvtl1y8bQ.jpg

fullsizeoutput_10ad.jpeg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Yesterday I fabed up a hand shifter.  Just need to drill a couple of holes then weld and paint it today.

I personally like the hand shifters 23E5B98A-FBE9-41D4-94A5-777569FD98FE.jpeg

They are nice I have a 2000 Honda Recon that has a Moose utilities bolt on Hand shifter on it.

• Like 1