dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Got to due some snow plowing over the weekend. 

2002 Honda Rancher 350 and John Deere 1032 snowblower on lowboy trailer that I pull behind the ATV when I need to take snow blower to other driveways.  First time using the John Deere in 2 years and started on the 3rd pull.  I have back up Electric start on it if needed. 

Rancher and snowblower.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Who wants to guess what this is?

7160E0C0-CCAD-47F3-869F-465526922715.jpeg

A wrist pin retainer circlip? Hope not!

29 minutes ago, retro said:

A wrist pin retainer circlip? Hope not!

Ha, nope.  That dang little irritating clip that holds the pinion bearing into the diff.

I have a 300 stretch that I bought a while back.  Then my 29.5 Outlaws disappeared so I haven't been in any hurry to try to build a big 300, so I loaned the stretch to a local kid (the kid I've gotten most of my projects from LOL).

He rode that 300 hard, put it up wet, and gave the stretch back to me a few months later with a 300 rear end still attached.  Should have taken pics.  Diff was full of sand and mud, axle nuts and hubs were welded to the axle, and it had a brake delete that pretty much had no bearing in it.

I cut the ends off of the axle with an angle grinder, got the diff apart, and am rebuilding it with a Caltric kit I've had for quite a while.  The bearings are iffy in their kits, but the gears are good with the pressed in style ring gear.

Anyhow, that little clip wouldn't move to try to get an end to pull it out, so in frustration, I got a sharp punch and hit down on the bearing, shattering the bearing but not harming the diff housing at all.  Used a bearing puller to get the front half of the bearing out, then had to use D-Ray's method of driling a hole in the back, and driving out the back half of that bearing.  Of course, before i could drive out the back half of the bearing, I had to pull that clip out of the way.

Been awhile since I got one out without hours of cussing and finagling.  I guess the "get after it with a punch" is a "It either shatters the bearing or ruins the housing" method!

8F649B12-FF05-41DF-8878-981E873DBB96.jpeg

56E9E8D9-903C-4772-8692-18898D54FDE1.jpeg

• Like 2

Aw ! I that popped into my head.... I have a question... are you sure you have enough room on that wide open clean work bench ?! ..... Lol!..... I shouldn't speak... The one over at the main shop isn't much Better.... 

49 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Aw ! I that popped into my head.... I have a question... are you sure you have enough room on that wide open clean work bench ?! ..... Lol!..... I shouldn't speak... The one over at the main shop isn't much Better.... 

Just enough room for an engine there!  LOL.  I just set that 500 footshift engine on the ground, so I got all kinds of room now!

Waiting on a 500 cylinder to be bored on the Rubicon so that engine is on the floor covered up. I have two 500 footshift engines built and ready to install.   Need to tear into another 300 engine.  Gotta do something and been to nasty to actually work on rigs out in the yard.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 11:54 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Who wants to guess what this is?

7160E0C0-CCAD-47F3-869F-465526922715.jpeg

Looks like a fish hook 

Had a friend over last weekend , he was having problems with his 500  , when it comes to atvs , I don't usually work on anything that ain't mine , he left it here , so  I cleaned the carb ( what is that electric gizmo / harness for that is on top the carb in the pic ) 

---then I found the mouse damage , repaired about 8 wires and have a new spark plug boot ordered for him , the bike could never have gone in water , the mouse ( or whatever it was )  ate cean thru to the metal ( you can't see it too good in that pic ) getting the carb off a 2007 TRX500FM7  is harder to change than a 300 or 450 

Honda of Slidell wants $32 for a boot and spark plug , the boot is $26 , I tried to match it up for him , but nothing I had was the same 

fullsizeoutput_10db.jpeg

h2EmEPfSSIm7GxNW0VjtDA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_10de.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Power sports nation has a coil with spark plug wire and boot for $20 shipped

Yeah getting a carb off of a 500 is a lot more trouble than the 300s and 450s.  So is snorkeling one

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Power sports nation has a coil with spark plug wire and boot for $20 shipped

Yeah getting a carb off of a 500 is a lot more trouble than the 300s and 450s.  So is snorkeling one

I couldn't get to the carb bowl heater plug easily , so I spun the carb to get it off , so I wouldn't have to deal with the plug behind the plastic  , so I put it back together , then realized I forgot the bowl heater , had to take it off again , I would think that taking the airbox out would make getting the carb off easier ----

so what is the purpose of that harness and box going to the side of the carb , looks like it somehow connects to the choke flapper shaft , but this model has a choke cable and pull lever ---- I know that carrb is OEM from Honda of Covington as this was his Dad's atv , and the carb was replaced a few years back I was told , so it might not be exactly the same carb 

image.png

If the rodent was a mouse wire, aluminum etc yes, no doubt! it could have been ether. But plain steel or heavier metals,  It would be a rat.... They have been know to chew through cast iron... Pipes<<< i know this for sure..... If this happened at his place ... Best quickest way to run those suckers off is very strong peppermint (ether peppermint essentail oil, OR essents of peppermint ... oils will last longer) liquid,  i use peppermint essential oil UNDILUTED  . Moth balls will run snakes n mice off, but in my dealing they don't have THAT much of an effect on rats, but 100% pure mint  will!.... and it last a good while.. But if i was him... I'd spray the area often... To run them completely off and KEEP them gone!   Cause once they settle.. It's a pita to get rid of them, and they will go back to damaging what ever they had started with.... You can try glue boards... They work great for mice but a good size rat ? Not so much... To really get them to chance a glue board ... Bait the center with a mixture of bacon and peanut butter... And trim the non sticky edge of the glue board off... That's  the trick to keep them from grabbing the non sticky edge.. And working there way free......for years we battled mice and rats on farm equipment... ESPECIALLY combines, and hay equipment... Best way that rules ? A few dozen cats.... 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 10:51 AM, Fishfiles said:

I couldn't get to the carb bowl heater plug easily , so I spun the carb to get it off , so I wouldn't have to deal with the plug behind the plastic  , so I put it back together , then realized I forgot the bowl heater , had to take it off again , I would think that taking the airbox out would make getting the carb off easier ----

so what is the purpose of that harness and box going to the side of the carb , looks like it somehow connects to the choke flapper shaft , but this model has a choke cable and pull lever ---- I know that carrb is OEM from Honda of Covington as this was his Dad's atv , and the carb was replaced a few years back I was told , so it might not be exactly the same carb 

image.png

Throttle position sensor.  I'm not exactly sure what it does...but it will throw an error code 13 if not hooked up, if it's bad, or if it's not set properly.

I normally unbolt the boot from the head, and get the carb out that way on my 500's.  With the Perfex lift installed the rear shocks are right in the way of the bolts holding the airbox in place, so it's easier for me to unbolt the boot from the head and get them out that way. 

It's still a PITA and you have to hold your mouth just right......

• Like 1

Yesterday I got my rear diff finished on for that 300 diff.  I did notice that the Catric rear diff kit I got, which had the pressed style ring gear, pinion, new bearings, seals, shims, and the star-nut socket and was $100ish on ebay had a Japanese NTN bearing for the pinion bearing!   The side bearings were unmarked, but the pinion bearing was the good stuff. 

I'm guessing with most people just buying new aftermarket 300 diffs now that the market for rebuild kits has slowed down a bit.

• Like 3

Got a little bit done over the weekend.  Got my "bead buster" in, and was finally able to knock the beads loose on some ancient cracked tires so that I could grease the leaky beads.  They still have some minor leaking going on, so I'm going to slime the crap out of them,and if that doesn't work, they're going in the trash.  They have pretty good tread on them, just cracked from age.

• Like 3

I been putting my the wife's old 2wd 300 back in shape , while cleaning out my service truck I found this pry bar buried , I learned it works really well for straightening and installing racks ---- just painted a tank for it , to replace the one that was on it --- she likes this 300 because it steers and shift the best on any we have 

occlvp8YSzi7fYJEZJWkkg.jpg

Rb7e7CplQDOOW58m45twRw.jpg

L%LBHfMaRWWPpRguNniuHg.jpg

v3CW5WNyTYma1%V7ydTsyg.jpg

o+sGWyX5QV+i1yCCwc+8cg.jpg

In45BgNoTuew+Q22Pw+zBw.jpg

• Like 3

The kid has been riding the 4 wheeler for fun but I have been putting some time in with the MUV. I didn't get enough wood cut so now I'm busting through the snow to ride out the next couple months. About a week ago it warmed up pretty good for a few days so I went to check and see how much the drift in the backyard was going down. My guess is this settled down 4-6 feet since the last time I was on it. This drift goes for a good 300 yards to the fence line and then another 150 yards into my back yard. 

20230305_142940.jpg

20230228_164120.jpg

20230228_164055.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, toodeep said:

The kid has been riding the 4 wheeler for fun but I have been putting some time in with the MUV. I didn't get enough wood cut so now I'm busting through the snow to ride out the next couple months. About a week ago it warmed up pretty good for a few days so I went to check and see how much the drift in the backyard was going down. My guess is this settled down 4-6 feet since the last time I was on it. This drift goes for a good 300 yards to the fence line and then another 150 yards into my back yard. 

20230305_142940.jpg

20230228_164120.jpg

20230228_164055.jpgWOW , snow!!!!   I am on the porch in short pants , crocks and a tee shirt.  drinking a beer.  Blue jay day 81 degrees. The pollen is bad.  

2B9A1CD8-A250-45F6-8F67-62F7929611FD.jpeg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I been putting my the wife's old 2wd 300 back in shape , while cleaning out my service truck I found this pry bar buried , I learned it works really well for straightening and installing racks ---- just painted a tank for it , to replace the one that was on it --- she likes this 300 because it steers and shift the best on any we have 

occlvp8YSzi7fYJEZJWkkg.jpg

Rb7e7CplQDOOW58m45twRw.jpg

L%LBHfMaRWWPpRguNniuHg.jpg

v3CW5WNyTYma1%V7ydTsyg.jpg

o+sGWyX5QV+i1yCCwc+8cg.jpg

In45BgNoTuew+Q22Pw+zBw.jpg

Thats not The pinkster is it ? If i recall pinky is 4x4 with a 424 ? Poor ol pinky..... Had some close calls.... 

Last week my wife's nephew and his wife were over , so I took them for a ride , later on he asked to ride again , I didn't want to go , so I told him , sure just don't go pass where we went

well >>> after two hours of them being gone , he finally answered his phone , he was lost and on Dr Birch's property a mile away like the crow flies , the carekeeper was opening the gate to let them out onto the black top , when they got back the bike had a flat tire on one side , almost totally flat on  the other side and 25 wraps of the good doctor's barb wire fence around the axle , I know right where a tree had fallen and took out a section of fence ---------  after riding the tire flat for about 2 miles on the black top , it  ruined the side wall , I put Fix A Flat stuff  in one and ordered a new tire for the other side , it came in yesterday 

It is MudLite 26x12x12 tires and when ordering they told me they only have MudLite XL now ( $124.99 with shipping ) ,  don't know if they are different or not , yet 

I had put a spare set I have on the bike temporary , they are 25x12x9 inch rims , 

%WN5Pj9pSdOIuZ32IihN5g.jpg

Ddt1DHSbSte4bf2FjykDfA.jpg

UNn0tDC%Q5C+6i3tSjSIAA.jpg

8MXq5p04RuuSfvMlNcCBJw.jpg

GyD947ReQlWe8vOG8ecRGA.jpg

• Sad 1