dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Yesterday I took the hand shifter off  the wife's pink 300 that she don't ride any more and stuck it on the 450

Also dug up a good  set of tank covers in green , the red ones on this bike , has plastic tabs that  were broken off and it was being held together with Gorilla tape , which  really was doing the job for a long time , but I am going to paint the plastics red .... my buddy was over and said " you got to paint the whole bike " , I don't want to take it apart ---- might paint the tank cover black , contrast is contrast 

This 450 deserves a oil cooler cover , stuck the 300 cover on there to get a look , but it won't go down far enough , winch controller in the way 

Any prep suggestions for the plastic ? 

iCQA5yrQSi2twAx01JzFCg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1160.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_115c.jpeg

• Like 1

Oil cooler cover? 

Were it me and you're looking at painting plastics, I'd find some crappier than those green ones to do.  Those look like they'd clean up nice, and parts for the 450's aren't getting any easier to find.

I have some pink ones in the farm shop you can have, but I'm guessing shipping on something that size wouldn't be cheap these days.

Was on a fishing trip to my friends cabin. Took a wheeler ride to check out a nearby forest fire. In spite of burning restrictions some moron was cleaning up around his cabin and burning branches and needles. It was windy and got away from him. Burned the cabin right to the ground and 40 acres of public forest. 2 big helicopters water bombed it, a Cat dozed a fire break and it took the fire crew 4 days to put out the hotspots. This guy is gonna pay big time for firefighting costs, restitution, fines and I'm pretty sure his insurance company won't cover the cabin.

IMG_20230601_171937537_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230601_171949048.jpg

IMG_20230601_171520104.jpg

IMG_20230601_171529279.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Oh yeah..... They made them I'm just messing with yeah, here's a little known fact.... The 466 CID international engine .... Is one good engine... Many pro pulling tractors use that block because the lower end ( main bearing caps.. And bottom end are very well designed and very heavy / beefed up.... I couldn't say right off hand at how tigh they run those rpms.. Buts it's up there.... Now they are very modified.... Fuel delivery , intake design, exhauset design etc etc.... But... What really works to the advantage is the heart (block itself) I've run a few, what i found out is the short wheel base... Is alot of what gave those tracters a somewhat bad name.... Long wheel base does indeed make a defrence even in slow cumbersome farm equiptment..... It's basically balancing weight though out the machine.... With a short wheelbase weight distribution .... Is more centered, then when wheel weights and fliud in the tires play a role.... For example.... Most pulling tracters (2wd) are long wheelbase machines .... And yes that sign you have ? Probably worth a good bit ....keep it! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

the cooler has been relocated on top the front carrier. There is no cover on it.  It is cosmetic   

already painted the tank covers.  I already got a green 450. 

A406170D-BD71-40F9-9B96-AFAB02B1AB4D.jpeg

D80C6533-C011-477C-8686-CFF935D978C7.jpeg

488FDAFD-5E13-4C97-AF7A-C406B53652F4.jpeg

A5A65A5E-D42C-4B74-BC95-7D1C6DEA4E7C.jpeg

• Like 3

You just reminded me to ask this question ... (Meant to ask this years ago) ...... Do You have the fan pulling air though it ? Or blowing out the front ? I was always curious as to how much heat (if any) comes right back at you if it's pulling air in from the front n exhausting out the back.... I might be wrong but the higher relocation idea came from keeping it above the mud water muck ... Etc ... 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

You just reminded me to ask this question ... (Meant to ask this years ago) ...... Do You have the fan pulling air though it ? Or blowing out the front ? I was always curious as to how much heat (if any) comes right back at you if it's pulling air in from the front n exhausting out the back.... I might be wrong but the higher relocation idea came from keeping it above the mud water muck ... Etc ... 

It is a sucker , pulling the air towards you , you can feel the breeze a bit ---  yep , it was always clogged up with mud when it was under the fender ---  you do lose the air blowing over the engine when it is up top , but the fan is not going under water as much  --- two of my other bikes , the 450SS and the red 300 both have two fans , the coolers are relocated and there is a fan on the engine ( that be turned off with a toggle )  ---- the green 450 has a custom controller that Retro built , that has a digital temp gauge and fan setting capability 

• Like 2

Yeah i recall that gizmo.....  So now it's automatic ? Cycles off and on... According to what the engine / oil temp is ? I liked that idea very shortly after @retron @Goober got to talking bout it... Pardon me if i left anyone out...... I still want to do a deal like that but i still haven't made up my mind whether I'll add an lol cooler... I like the idea, but time appointments etc etc.... Will delay me...i haven't been as active here over the last few days and that's just from the everyday forks n spoons on that old plate...... On a note looks like the weather is turning yet again.... Even NASCAR has been rain delayed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

. On a note looks like the weather is turning yet again.... Even NASCAR has been rain delayed. 

I was watching the LSU Regional and it is rained delayed 90 minutes west from here and it has not rained a drop here 

9 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Yeah i recall that gizmo.....  So now it's automatic ? Cycles off and on... According to what the engine / oil temp is ? I liked that idea very shortly after @retron @Goober got to talking bout it... 

On the dash you can see the real time digital display temperature of the oil  , and set the fans for  when they kick on and off 

• Like 1

Hm...... I'm going to put some Serous thought about this setup.... So far i really like it. Especially knowing the oil temp! Oil pressure comes to mind as well (hint hint !! )

Hydration Stop >>> man is it dry 

I didn't mention a couple of weeks back , we had 3 broken ribs ----this week My Daughter in Law sprained her wrist , it was really swollen  , nothing  a frozen bag of vegetables and  some ibuprofen wouldn't take care of 

5+YoMmA+T02PQBNIK%rJ7w.jpg

• Like 4

The 450 is almost complete , the front brake lever was frozen up ,  just got a new " Aftermarket " front master cylinder for $17 with free shipping off E-Bay , this is the thrid one I have gotten , works perfect , I did not even have to bleed the calipers , installed it and did the bubble bleed method , LOL  >>>>  the cost from Honda would have been $252 for the lever , bolts , banjos , seal washers and master cylinder , also the after market is threaded for a rear view mirror and has a brake switch built in  --- \

Still need to cut the tank cover plastic for the snorkel tube to fit and get a new toggle switch for the front light bar 

Uts%5SyySvuIFOBomv4cIg.jpg

ZGmLfWy1Q2ShGgOiBfNxfw.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

, I did not even have to bleed the calipers , installed it and did the bubble bleed method ,

Describe please.

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Describe please.

The problem with the master was the lever was frozen stiff . The old master cylinder was full of clean brake fluid , so I unclamped it from the handle bars , bolted on the new master  and filled it up with fresh fluid , then swopped the hose over to the new master , I did not pump the lever , just barely cracked the lever and the air bubbles started floating up , after that I barely pumped the lever a few times to gat any more air out , when there were no more bubbles coming out , installed the cover and the lever  is hard 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Makes sense.  I've just never heard it called the "bubble bleed method"

I forgot to mention that I blocked off the rubber brake hose at the banjo fitting with the pinch pliers before  disconnecting for two reasons , one that it doesn't leak brake fluid on the fender or tank and so no air forms in the hose from spillage  here of pic of my favorite pinch pliers , I have 4 different types , these work the best for me  , this pair  I pic'ed is on E-bay right now , they are made by MAC , somebody should pick them up cause thy sure are handy doing a brake job on your atv 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275895796524?epid=1841497474&hash=item403cabc32c:g:5OgAAOSwX3dkhB~4&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4AFtPW9v52BvnNp8N1noEDVurTr7yaKl7yUKyzNplLIvA8A4mNISqrMDEMGavuyiUdGA1CQxxe5Vlmgp1gHuPdyoINj2h7luimTo8qM2zvmtjAFHLoesEJyRPxlZph00LGKZThAV2FjvX05dPIdbQDt0lpqvg9e20iQX7dIe8N2bhDqlP2DZaqRDugoDQu5ob9SKFAkM0JGGJB2Q3eNEZECRhvrG%2Bu3MbwuYTYfsUiVMThqSZxcv7rd0lEMasMCjzixZmp4bbQzekBxptYGBhezRFPbuw%2BF%2F4yg17x2r1mn7|tkp%3ABk9SR9zpu9eWYg

image.png

Got the 2002 TRX450FM/S  about finished , something freaky came about yesterday when I was riding it ....   Looking for that @AKATV Guru Guy , he or someone else might be able to tell me what is going on : Here goes > when I go to third gear the reverse light comes on !  it doesn't come on in reverse or any other gear ---- have you ever seen that one before ?

A little back story >>  the neutral light stays on all the time , that's normal to me  as it is rigged that way ----- the 4x4 indicator flashes all the time as the front electric shift diff has been changed to a full time diff and a 4/2/4 kick out is in place 

This one might be for sale " if the price is right " , make me a reasonable offer 

2002 450 , 14.5 gear reduction , EBC clutch kit , Moose hand shifter , disc brake conversion back and front ( and they work ) , full time front diff swop with 4//2/4 kick out , oil cooler relocated , 2 inch lift kit , 6 slot aluminum rims with 26 Outlaws with wheel spacers back and front , winch , stick stoppers , light bar , fire extinguisher , snorkeled , floor boards , rear view mirror 

fullsizeoutput_1178.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1179.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_117a.jpeg

ehbTxw2KQ3KH0FOXyfiHMA.jpg

• Like 2

wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day.

Told her  "nothing that resembles Halmark movies"  and that I'm looking forward to some time sitting on the back deck for morning coffee, some trail time on a 26year old Honda, and may stop along the trails and dump some ammo out back on my range.

Simple man...simple needs  (grin)

• Like 4

Had a riding buddy over. It was the Lacombe 500 today. She did FD39CED1-45E4-41C9-A18C-064F9D4EA0DB.jpegabout 500 laps around the house 

• Like 4

On 6/15/2023 at 1:12 PM, Bighanded said:

wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day.

Told her  "nothing that resembles Halmark movies"  and that I'm looking forward to some time sitting on the back deck for morning coffee, some trail time on a 26year old Honda, and may stop along the trails and dump some ammo out back on my range.

Simple man...simple needs  (grin)

Ha, I said "To be left to work in peace for a bit".  She got miffed, but left me to my wrenches for several uninterrupted hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After market carb came in from E-Bay for  $52.00 with shipping , runs great ---- saved about $450 over buying OEM , the air cut off valve is not on the new one , ports are there but not drilled out , don't see any problems running without it yet -- it is pretty much complete , with throttle position sensor , which is indexed different , but it didn't hit anything  , so Ieft it as is , and did not use the extension pigtail harness that was on the old OEM carb that was a replacement at one time ---    

fullsizeoutput_117d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1180.jpeg

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

After market carb came in from E-Bay for  $52.00 with shipping , runs great ---- saved about $450 over buying OEM , the air cut off valve is not on the new one , ports are there but not drilled out , don't see any problems running without it yet -- it is pretty much complete , with throttle position sensor , which is indexed different , but it didn't hit anything  , so Ieft it as is , and did not use the extension pigtail harness that was on the old OEM carb that was a replacement at one time ---    

fullsizeoutput_117d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1180.jpeg

The one on the left in the top pic looks like a Rubicon carb.  The right one is the air cooled carb.

Honestly probably interchangeable, but that's the TPS difference in the two.

Link to the one you bought?