dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

I guess I'm a combination of lazy and intimidated in my own ignorance (Grin)

I'll do some very  basic things..swap out a carb, on the golf cart i guess I got more determined cause all the area shops were backed up for 2-4 months!!  and I wanted mine fixed/upgraded now.

so I learned how to upgrade the cables, the amp controller, etc, rear suspension leaf springs...again, nothing hard about that.

but the idea of making the time and tearing into a complete motor rebuild?...not gonna happen...just being honest with myself.

but doesn't stop me from admiring others who can...good fer you!

• Like 1

Ha, my old golf carts are stock because I'm too lazy to try to upgrade them

Of course, one is older than I am (1974 Cushman GC400) and the other one is an early 90's EZGO

funny...yeah, I can't say I actually enjoyed the cart work.. I just wasn't going to be held hostage and have to wait on the shop's backlogs...it might have been one thing for me to call and get an appointment to bring it in a month out, but they insist you bring it in today and then it sits for a month until they get around to it...no thanks.

so that was my motivation in DIY land.

I actually did the amp controller wrong the first time...youtube guy  "almost" got it right but my unit was a tad different.

my buggy is an old 2002/3 ezgo PDS...takes a beating out here on the property..in fact I need to do some work on it now...some of the wiring for the LED light bar etc are in need of cleanup..now that it's getting dark earlier, I'll need those lights.

Honda designs their equipment purpose built.  If an existing off the shelf part doesn't meet 100 percent of the design criteria it doesn't get used on something else.   Now in your case it's too bad GM didn't make it cause if a kindergartner from the city couldn't tell the difference,  GM used it.

The original Pontiac Fiero had a Chevette front suspension up front and a Citation front driveline in the rear.  They did use an industrial engine call the Iron Duke as a power plant.  These engines were used for generators and air compressors.  Iron Duke: Akin to boat anchors and anvils.

I digress....I've been riding our TRX300FW all over doing chores around the property and other than putting gas in them have done nothing.   My wife's 95 is going to need a battery sometime soon.  One of us must have left the key on and killed it dead and it's never been the same since.  Seems slower to spon over if it's been sitting a few days.  Unfortunately her arthritis has been getting the best of her and riding a few hours just knocks her for a loop for the next two or so days.

• Like 3

yep Sierra.

I gotta say, not knowing as much as I should have about ATVs when I first started spending money, I was fortunate to get into a couple bikes that were old school, incredibly well built, not abused in their previous lives and I'm not particularly hard on them either...so 25 plus years on, my old 300 still kicks right over and runs great.

I wouldn't mind a bigger, much larger cc workbike some times, but for just simple trail enjoyment, I actually prefer the small 300 machines...and I still prefer manual shift over ES...part of the fun is grabbin gears.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bighanded said:

I actually prefer the small 300 machines...and I still prefer manual shift over ES...part of the fun is grabbin gears.

Grabbin gears on a 300 , I  just made a hand shifter out of a handle I had laying around this weekend on my yard dog 300 2wd , reverse lock out is by passed , with the lever it is so much easier to maneuver ---- I have a few of these hand shifters on my other 300s and 450s , store bought models run about $30 each  , this one was free 

X6OPGPrtQKC+BKZ3RXFUlg.jpg

IeuoURN%T36mze0o4PcP6g.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Ha, my old golf carts are stock because I'm too lazy to try to upgrade them

Of course, one is older than I am (1974 Cushman GC400) and the other one is an early 90's EZGO

Big Tech, educated people, have no grease under their fingernails, and never have had. college didnt teach them nothing neither. 

• Like 1

I've been getting up early in the mornings this week and piddling a little here and there.

Got a top end on the engine I've been rebuilding for my 09 Foreman.  That one got a new crank, new timing chain, seals, first gear update (it was out of an 07), converted from ES to footshift (new front cover, shift spindle, shift rod, shift arm), and a new top end.  Took the head down and ground the valves and installed new valve stem seals as well.  It's now sitting in a wagon waiting for me to get time to swap it out with the engine currently in the wheeler.

I went ahead and tore down my other spare engine as well, so I could get the crank out of it and send two at a time to Vince at Mr Crankshaft. 

Got those cases cleaned up and set aside, and since I need the new crank to go further, went to work on the two heads I had sitting on the shelf (gotta have a spare LOL).  Both of these were ROUGH.   Filthy, and when I took the valve springs off the valves still took some persuasion to get them out of the head, especially the intake valve on one of them.  Turned out that one intake valve was bent, so I'll have to order a new one.  I assume that head is the one off of the 08PS bike I flipped a while ago.  It had a busted valve/ tappet cover, and the timing chain on it was GONE it was stretched so badly.  So I got the good set of valves cleaned up, cleaned up one of the heads, ground the valves, new stem seals, and put it back together, so it's ready to go on this 2nd engine I'm rebuilding to go on my 06.  The 06 engine runs fine, but I have a gear reduction to go in it and I'd rather just swap out engines.  That way I know I have a fresh one in the wheeler/ know what I have.

Will have to order a new valve and some more stem seals to put the "extra" head back together, and then it will just go on the shelf in case I ever need it.

I also put a new CV on my buddy's Rincon rear CV.  When I tore his rear end out to get that busted ujoint out I noticed he had a bad inner boot on one of the CV's, so went ahead and put a new boot on it before it ruined the CV.

Then I was out of time and had to get ready to go to my real job.

• Like 2

well crap, all i've done to my '03 trx450fm was add a koplin gun boot..lol. my other atv sits idle and racks up value every day, because i let it sit there and look fancy for an old 30 something yr old atv..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pretty much just followed my Fourtrax around all afternoon as I rode on my lil red honda CT90...my kids took their kids for rides back on the trails...wonderful memories being made for the 8yr old grandkids to be enjoying time with their mom n dad.

May be an image of 2 people and outdoors

• Like 1

Wife and I took a long ride Saturday after the Arkansas-Ole Miss game.

I decided it was time to get the kid's 300 out and ride it since she hasn't ridden lately.

Have a leaky float needle on this one that needs to be addressed.  Runs fine, but have to remember to shut off the petcock or you come back to an empty tank.

I also need to adjust the 424.  I put a new one on this machine, and it hasn't been used much, but it's hard to lock back in the 2wd position, and Saturday I couldn't get it to lock back at all.  I think I have it adjusted too tight.  Maybe @Fishfiles can give me some pointers on adjusting it correctly.  As it was, I just rode in 4wd all day.

yeah, my CT90, replacement carb, will "surprise" me sometimes.

I've found if I use the full jack stand (both sides swing down and the bike stands up straight, then I never get a leak,

but if I just use the side kickstand, which has the bike leaning over to the left, that sometimes, she'll leak fuel.

I try to remember to play the throttle grip a bit so it hopefully seats well..but can never tell.

so might not be the needle?

anyway.. I just got into the habit of using the full kickstand

Have to 09 rancher working to optimal performance thanks to the good folk here , the Missus and I are  having some awesome rides. 

244799152_4371236879663036_7746470494258649975_n.jpg

245433622_461799792027166_4174025476602452505_n.jpg

245532887_565366264772106_674192115646489700_n.jpg

• Like 2

Went out this morning early.  Finished buttoning up a bottom end for my 06.  This one has a 15% secondary gear reduction, which is a 450 final shaft gear with a mystery smaller gear that I got from Chris Clark.   With the 28's on this machine it should get the gearing back to stock.

Did require a little grinding on the case below the final shaft gear and on the bolt that holds the footshift shaft in place.

Will hopefully get the top end on it the morning, but will have to wait for the weekend to get either of these rebuilt engines swapped into my Foremans (Foremen?)

• Like 2

5:30AM I hit the shop.  Got that motor for my 06 buttoned the rest of the way up.  Had to pull the head back off as one of the threaded rods in the cylinder had backed out and thus stuck up too far out of the head to seat the acorn nut all the way down snug. 

Got that done and adjusted the valves (will have to redo that after it's running, but wanted to get it close before I try to run it).  Got the pull start bolted on and set it in the floor with the other one, so now both of my 500 footshifts have rebuilt motors with GR's installed ready to swap on. 

I went ahead and cleaned up my extra head I had for these engines as well.  This head was from that 08 with PS I sold a while back (rebuilt another engine, swapped it in, and flilpped the bike).  It appears to have jumped time, bent a valve, and busted the rocker cover.  In other words, the thing was trashed.

Replaced the intake valve, valve stem seals, and ground the valves after soaking and cleaning up the head in my parts washer.  It went on the shelf for now, will be ready when/if I need it.

Got a few bits from RMATV in to finish that up this morning (couple off odd sized bolts for the rear crankcase cover) and also got some bolts for my buddy's RIncon.  His rear brake rotor was loosely held on by 2 of the 5 bolts that were supposed to hold it in place.   Those two were easily removed by hand (LOL). 

Anyhow, maybe this weekend I'll have time to get his rear end reinstalled so I can get it out of my yard.  These bolts and new break pads were on the MAW list (might-as-well) while I had the rear end torn apart.

• Like 1

I was cleaning out one of my sheds a few weeks ago and decided to move my parts/project machines out to the trees. My 89 has been my tow truck and it worked good for the job. Cleaning out the shed I got my old 5518 honda tractor going (deck was shot) so it's getting turned into my new tow truck. 

20211010_142229.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, toodeep said:

I was cleaning out one of my sheds a few weeks ago and decided to move my parts/project machines out to the trees. My 89 has been my tow truck and it worked good for the job. Cleaning out the shed I got my old 5518 honda tractor going (deck was shot) so it's getting turned into my new tow truck. 

20211010_142229.jpg

Brake drums for counter weights ? 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Brake drums for counter weights ? 

Yes. It took 2 of them to keep the front end down enough to steer it when moving sxs around. When you work alone you use what you have. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, toodeep said:

20211010_142229.jpg

haha, my bud catfish, has large batteries in a basket in the back on his trx350 wrecker, and the boom on the front , with also a warn winch i put on it, these old gals are tanks. you deff need counter weights !, or like you said, they don't steer worth a crap otherwise !..lol.

• Like 1

Got a little done this weekend.

Got the engine pulled out of my 06, and the rebuilt set in the frame (15% secondary reduction).  Had to clean up another carb and put on as well, as the choke valve was stuck on the old one (I've been putting my hand over the snorkel to start it since the choke wasn't working).

Got my buddy's kid's DCT Rancher stripped down and pressure washed so i can try to troubleshoot the ECT error code it's throwing, and also install a snorkel as I put it back together. 

I also got the dash reinstalled on my 83 GMC.  Installed a new (used) Kenwood KRC1004 with an FM modulated Aux installed so I can hook it up to my phone for Sirius, got all the dash lights working and installed a new dash cap as the dash pad was shot.  Dash looks great now, but apparently the blend door isn't working because the air flow is all coming out of the dash and floor, and I can't get anything out of defrost, so looks like I get to pull it all apart again.   $8@#&#$*!

• Like 1

I have some slop in the steering of both my 86 TRX350A. I got one out by adjusting the steering tie rod knuckle lengths, but cannot get the steering centered. Tie rod knuckles are very loose.

Does this sound like steering tie rod ends (knuckles) to you all?