dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Think the XL has a lot deeper lug.  I had a set I traded for when Shade build that 450 for powerstroke on the old board.  

They were heavy but otherwise did ok.

Used to irritate me when my grandfather and Dad wouldn't just loan stuff out to people.  Now that I'm older I understand it better.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Think the XL has a lot deeper lug.  I had a set I traded for when Shade build that 450 for powerstroke on the old board.  

They were heavy but otherwise did ok.

Used to irritate me when my grandfather and Dad wouldn't just loan stuff out to people.  Now that I'm older I understand it better.

A comparison pic , on the 300 are Mud Lite 25x12x9 ///////  older tire is 26x12x12 regular Mud Lite /////  newest tire is MudLite XL 26x12x12 

fullsizeoutput_10f6.jpeg

h4oEz3prQYi6n3f5sRGd+A.jpg

This weekend I actually RODE my ATV!

I trail out on the farm fairly often, but Saturday @basfnb rolled down, my neighbor with the tan 450, and even the wife, all decided to take a ride on the farm. 

Little one stayed home with her older sister, and we took a long cruise.  Got a nice farmer tan now, and I think my neighbor's 450 might need a muffler, but nothing broke, and we all had fun.

7C963258-C4CB-43AF-97C7-3754ADE02700.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm back trying to work on the wife's DCT Rancher to get it right and sell it.

I bought it about 10 years ago, complete basketcase, and went through it.  New crank, new 475CC top end, and did a footshift secondary which is around a 15% GR.  Since those DCT ranchers have the rear speed sensor reading those secondary gears, that meant I had to wire in a "speedo healer" to trick the computer into reading the right speed.  Otherwise, the machine wouldn't shift right, as the ECU controls the shifting, and that shifting is based on the speedometer readings, along with throttle input.

Worked fine for a long time, then Mrs Jeep got preggers, and the Rancher sat for awhile.  When we got it out to start riding it again, it wouldn't shift right in Auto mode.  Still shifted fine in ESP, so I figured it was something to do with the GR I put in.  The company (Rapid Revolutions out of Canada) no longer made the "shift module" but Reduction Boss now makes one.  I ordered a replacement, and it didn't work either.  Would shift 1-4, but would rarely go into 5th.  Well crap.

Talked to the guys at Rapid Revolutions and at Reduction Boss, and one of them said that, from the factory, the DCT shifting is pretty bulletproof, but that once you start messing with it, that a marginal ground, loose wire etc would throw the whole system off.

Since I'm selling it anyway, and never did run big tires on it, I opted to pull that footshift secondary back out, put the stock gears back in, and eliminate the speedo healer (basically put everything back stock).  Didn't really have time to ride it after getting everything put back together, but hopefully it will work right again, and I can get the machine sold, as the wife has now claimed the 2005 Rubicon I picked up a year or so ago.  She never liked the jerky shifting of the DCT.

The DCT was a neat little machine when I finished putting it together.  IRS, geared down with the Foreman top end and it had lots of power and was very nimble.  But I agree with her on the jerky shifting; it sucks compared to the seamless power of the Hondamatic.

I've replaced the black Foreman pod light cover with a matching tan one now, still has the Warn winch with syn rope on it, along with the Hondaline bumper.  I took the 26" Mudbugs off and put some stock 25" MU25's off of an IRS Foreman on there now, the Mudbugs will go on the 2012 Rubicon I'm rebuilding for myself.

Got a new seat cover to install too, but that will be after I make sure it's shifting ok.

20D40FAA-0F3A-4F5D-B2BA-20A7E42FB3CD.jpeg

96956FF4-286F-41CA-A4EF-C7297B2FD06E.jpeg

• Like 3

Redone the seat of my buddy's Arctic Cat 400 yesterday for him , it came out very nice , it cost $7.50 for a yard , cut the yard in half , got enough to do a 300 seat left 

you can buy this 400 for $1,000 , everything works and has  brakes  

fullsizeoutput_112e.jpeg

%08nWBYJStKlz5xriPjy4w.jpg

0KGAv4%VTNyA+OA+VS2P2Q.jpg

wWnbx69BTPSBsfepyiyngw.jpg

• Like 2

I've been out of the loop for a few days.  Have one kid about to graduate, school wrapping up for the year for the other two and the wife, and normal spring stuff so been super busy.  Throw in the toddler having sinus crud and it's been downright hectic.

Have actually been riding my 09 quite a bit lately, as I'm back to knocking out beaver dams almost daily on the farm to try to get the water out before the lilly pads take over.  This is the one with a 15% primary reduction from Chris Clark and 27" Executioners on it.

Have the wife's DCT cleaned up, and am going to try the ECU and the throttle body (to check the TPS) off my buddy's kid's rig to make sure everything is working correctly, then it's going up for sale.

That same buddy has his Rincon in the yard again.  No Auto mode (works fine in ESP), throwing sporadic error codes (rear VSS) and no 4wd (suspect front driveshaft splines).

But first I had to pull the evaporator core from my car AC.  It was blowing cold for about 10 mins, then would get warm and stay warm till the car sat overnight.  From what I found it could either be an obstruction or a bad expansion valve, so I replaced the expansion valve, added a new dryer, and put it back together yesterday.  Have to wait for new spark plug tube seals and a valve cover gasket as I addressed a leak there yesterday while I was vacuuming the AC system down (was holding vacuum, so that's good).

Mrs Jeep and mini me went out to look at the "waterfall" I created when I shoveled a hole in the beaver dam over the weekend.

Jodi cora.jpg

• Like 5

I been doing some ATV work lately , but all for buddy's in the barter system , I can't do pictures right now ,  I got a new phone from Verizon , I did not know the APPLE ID , it locked me out for 3 days to start with , then again for 14 days , still got another 10 days or so before the unlock takes effect , needless to say I am pisted with Apple 

Got a 2000 300 4x4 that is almost mint , it is his Dad's atv keep inside it's entire life , only used for hunting -----  mice damage to wiring harness , I don't have a used 97-200 wiring harness for him , the main harness is still available from Honda for about  $125  , don't know about all the sub harnesses , the problem is it blows the fuse , never took the plastics off yet 

a 2006 500FM with carb overflow problem , it is taken down , carb kit and misc stuff on order , trading work for some Lake Pontchartrain blue claw crabs , was hoping that would be finished this weekend 

Still got that 2007 500 with the rev limiter sounding problem , that is a load of soil , maybe two before it is over , LOL  

And the best I am saving for last ( cause Shade' is going to love this one ) , it started out as a re-jug job for a smoking problem , I was just overseeing the project , my buddy was doing all the work here at the house , he got as far as he boxed up his jug and was about to send it to G+H for a bore job , then G+H  talked him into a new Taiwanese jug kit  for $40 more , it was all new and you get a filter ,  spark plug and some other crap , that's all ok , BUT , when he took the top end  down , I told him he needed to order a timing chain and a side cover gasket as I could take the chain off the sprocket with my fingers , so I told him about  this forum to get a service manual to read up on the procedures  , and he winds up on The 300 Club on Facebook and he learned about putting a 10 mm  socket on the end of the slack adjuster , he is set on doing it >>> but again >>> I tie the timing chain with a piece of string , and apparently the engine was spun over as the kick starter is now turned out in the kick position , and the chain is jammed up in there and the engine will not spin backwards to get it out ----  I don't know , he might have to take the side cover off to free up that chain 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I tie the timing chain with a piece of string , and apparently the engine was spun over as the kick starter is now turned out in the kick position , and the chain is jammed up in there and the engine will not spin backwards to get it out ----  I don't know , he might have to take the side cover off to free up that chain 

Sounds like something I would do LOL

• Like 1

Heavy snow loading cracked the display cover on my Rancher while I was away visiting my family this past winter. When I got home I found my Rancher buried under snow and ice. The tarp held up great (marine shrink wrap) and the towel that I had laying across the handlebars to protect everything stayed dry, but the weight of the ice and snow had killed the display cover. I never seen that happen before.

meter-cover-old-1.png

meter-cover-old.png

Fortunately new display covers are still available for the 2000-2006 Rancher FE/ES models and Honda East Toledo shipped me one $10 cheaper than Rocky Mountain ATV/MC could. 😀

meter-cover-new.png

• Like 4

I finished my buddy's 300 upper job yesterday , I had him sending his jug for boring and G+H sent him a new Taiwanese  jug / Shindy piston and stuff for $240 , he didn't want to buy a timing chain and side cover gasket , which he needed bad , so it was a 1/4 inch drive 3/8 socket pushed onto the timing adjuster in the vise, started up with one push of the button and sounds great -----  like I said in another post , he learned that socket thing from facebook 

• Like 2

Had a busy weekend.  Middle kid had graduation Friday night, so had in-laws in for that all weekend.  

Since they're city people we had to entertain them Saturday, so to the farm we went on a plethora of ATV's and UTV's. 

I got a wrecked/bent frame RZR170 from @basfnb a couple of years ago.  It would run and drive, but I haven't really tried to fix it yet because the little one isn't going to be old enough to drive it for another few years.  That said, the nephew city kid is 11 now, so I decided to get it going. 

I'd snorkeled the cooling fan intake and the belt intake/exhaust a while back to get them all up out of the dust/debris.  Then I put a lower geared rear sprocket on it, and some Honda 300 wheels and tires (24's).  The right front tire hits the frame when turned to the right, so that's how it's been sitting now for a couple of years.

Had to break the rear tires (dirt devils) down and grease the beads to stop bead leaks, and put the tiny stock front tires back on the front to allow steering.

Battery was dead so robbed one off another bike.  Have a new one that should be here today or tomorrow.

But then we hit a problem.  Ignition switch wouldn't turn.  Completely seized up.  I tried to force it and then it just spun freely.  Crap.

Found wiring schematics on line, and wired the ignition wires to a toggle, and then had to hold the brake down (safety feature)  while touching the two wires together for the starter function.  Now my 11 year old nephew knows how to hot wire something LOL.

So he was in that (whined about being muddy from tires slinging on him, and I told him he was missing the point!).  Father in law and his woman were in his SxS.

Brother in law and my wife's sister, wife and I were on various 4wheelers.

Rode out on the farm and blew the beaver dam with tannerite, and then rode out to the lake and watched the kids play in the RZR.

Only problem I'm going to have now is my 3 year old wants to ride the RZR, and she's nowhere near old enough for that, so I'm going to have to "break" something on it for now. LOL

• Like 4

This morning my buddy was riding bhind me while I was going get a load of dirt with the red 300 , he said the right wheel had a  wobble , found the axle splines wore , a used part is the only option and very hard to find these days , so I cleaned the splines with Part and Brake Cleaner and a mini wire brush , then used Minute Mend putty , put an extra washer under the axle nut and it is like new for another season or two 

fullsizeoutput_1136.jpeg

cw118HcjSLu6PckDpOlLMw.jpg

• Like 2

Father in law decided to take his big bad 800 Can Am out through the duck hole last weekend.  Sank that heavy sob and had to have mine and the wife's wheelers and winches to get him out.

Rode the SxS yesterday and get a squalling from the back when taking off, which if I had to guess is a roasted drive belt.

I swear that man could break an anvil, and after he did he'd say "I didn't really do anything, it just broke!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/22/2023 at 12:04 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Father in law decided to take his big bad 800 Can Am out through the duck hole last weekend.  Sank that heavy sob and had to have mine and the wife's wheelers and winches to get him out.

Rode the SxS yesterday and get a squalling from the back when taking off, which if I had to guess is a roasted drive belt.

I swear that man could break an anvil, and after he did he'd say "I didn't really do anything, it just broke!"

You was asking about the clutch and special tools , I was just talking with my buddy who has between him , his son and grandson have  2 Can-Am  570s , a 1000 and a Maverick , he said on the 570 the only special tool he needed he got by without , by using a strap wrench to hold the clutch from turned and a impact to get the nut off , he said he had to change the rollers on his 570 because of a you-tube video that messed him up , they said to clean the clutch with part and brake cleaner , but that ate the plastic rollers and then they did not turn any more , he said he learned to use hot water and Dawn to clean the clutch ------  he also said the Maverick clutch is made different then the 570 and 1000

• Like 1

My buddy's dad's 2000 300 FW , original tires and has back and front brakes , you know the story , lol  only used for deer hunting , garage keep , mice ate wires , they tried to make a repair ---- I took off the plastic and pressure washed it to check the wiring out 

Looking at part breakdown , the wiring harness is 1997-2000 I don't have a used one , the main harness  is still available from Honda , the harness at the battery is not , but there is  a guy on Honda 300 club that makes a replacement , plug and play harness for the battery box with blade style fuses , might need one of them as all the plugs/connectors  are gone 

So if I were to order from Honda it would be about $1000 from them , the voltage regulator is $300+ by itself ,  then $200 on aftermarket parts , add in labor and it is not worth it to me,  in the past I have swapped over all the electric parts and harness to change between generations , two of my 300s are 1st gen engines with 2nd gen 96 frames and wiring , but I am not sure how that will work on a 3rd gen as the cdi is different asit uses the same cdi asa 350 Rancher 

fcjurJWbTYi+M4rw3R1atA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1143.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_114c.jpeg

WFyHxW29R52oXuyaPuUB5g.jpg

cmNUxf1QQw63Cwhy4KwrPA.jpg

cZprgf1mRNiPr6WUnAm2qQ.jpg

QQ+FtvqQQEiMc3aq6DXy9A.jpg

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

My buddy's dad's 2000 300 FW , original tires and has back and front brakes , you know the story , lol  only used for deer hunting , garage keep , mice ate wires , they tried to make a repair ---- I took off the plastic and pressure washed it to check the wiring out 

Looking at part breakdown , the wiring harness is 1997-2000 I don't have a used one , the main harness  is still available from Honda , the harness at the battery is not , but there is  a guy on Honda 300 club that makes a replacement , plug and play harness for the battery box with blade style fuses , might need one of them as all the plugs/connectors  are gone 

So if I were to order from Honda it would be about $1000 from them , the voltage regulator is $300+ by itself ,  then $200 on aftermarket parts , add in labor and it is not worth it to me,  in the past I have swapped over all the electric parts and harness to change between generations , two of my 300s are 1st gen engines with 2nd gen 96 frames and wiring , but I am not sure how that will work on a 3rd gen as the cdi is different asit uses the same cdi asa 350 Rancher 

fcjurJWbTYi+M4rw3R1atA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1143.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_114c.jpeg

WFyHxW29R52oXuyaPuUB5g.jpg

cmNUxf1QQw63Cwhy4KwrPA.jpg

cZprgf1mRNiPr6WUnAm2qQ.jpg

QQ+FtvqQQEiMc3aq6DXy9A.jpg

From all of the reading I've done, all 300 engines will work with any gen wiring harness.  You just have to have the whole harness/CDI etc. 

Do you have a whole 1st or 2nd gen harness with CDI?

I get used OEM regulators from PSN.  Cheap and they stand behind them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

You was asking about the clutch and special tools , I was just talking with my buddy who has between him , his son and grandson have  2 Can-Am  570s , a 1000 and a Maverick , he said on the 570 the only special tool he needed he got by without , by using a strap wrench to hold the clutch from turned and a impact to get the nut off , he said he had to change the rollers on his 570 because of a you-tube video that messed him up , they said to clean the clutch with part and brake cleaner , but that ate the plastic rollers and then they did not turn any more , he said he learned to use hot water and Dawn to clean the clutch ------  he also said the Maverick clutch is made different then the 570 and 1000

Yeah, I have a feeling the rollers are shot on this one.  This is the video I found on replacing the rollers.  Looks like a PITA.

THIS is why I told the man not to buy a belt drive, but he doesn't listen, and then wants me to fix it.   Looks like I need a spring compressor as well

Ordered two front brake master cylinders for my 300s , both are two wheel drives with disc brake conversions and neither one worked , @Goober had sent me a rebuild kit which I installed , but it didn't work out , these master cost $17 each with free shipping , if they hold up they are better than OEM as they have a threaded hole for a mirror and a brake light switch built in to the master , got front  brakes on both the red and green 300s now

fullsizeoutput_1152.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1154.jpeg

dshAR5jrQOuX1NPyNMdhxA.jpg

• Like 2

This weekend we went out on the farm on my Foreman and the wife's Rubicon, had a few cold ones on the sandbar, blew up a beaver dam, and then went home.

Wife was complaining about my booger welds on her front rack, so Sunday after church I removed front rack, front fender, really cleaned well underneath, especially the radiator and oil cooler, and then put a different front fender on that had better camo on it.

Put a better front rack on, which required a little bending to get it to fit.  Got a good pull on a pry bar, which slipped and smoked me right between the eyes.  Felt like a moron.  LOL

Anyhow, get her rig cleaned up good.  Now I need to check the valves on my 06 because the clatter has gotten pretty noisy.

• Like 4

After weeks of saying I was going to start getting up early and wrenching again, I finally got my lazy butt up this morning.

Got my valves adjusted on my 06.  I rebuilt the engine last year, and put a GR in, but it's been tapping pretty good lately, so went ahead and adjusted them back to .006 again.  They had quite a bit more play than that in them when I got it to TDC, so hopefully that will quiet them down.

Also got my workbench cleaned off so I can finish putting that 2012 Rubicon engine back together.

• Like 3

Yesterday I cleaned up the work area , pushed the 2002 Red 450 under the shed , cleaned the carb , got it running on a jumper box , surprisingly , it started easy  as  it has been sitting for a while >>> Today I  just got  back from buying a new battery , went with a Duralast  , might ride this 450 this weekend so I can foolishly let a relative ride a 300 , about to go  stick the new battery in and change the plug 

l6hijXh6S0qkrzaKBCUmeA.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Hey! What's this ? 

image.jpg

It appears to me to be the real deal and not a Hobby Lobby knock off , I got it from a guy that was at the flea market for just one month , story he told me was , that  it was his Dad's , it looks old and it is heavy ----- What you think , did they ever make a sign like that ?