dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

1 hour ago, Wampus_cat said:

I’m in central mn

Well crap.  That's a long haul to Arkansas.

• Like 1

Used it to run and get firewood!

Edited by Chevymec
wrong thread...

This pic was Thursday morning after the tornadoes came through McComb. Some of the guys from the office went and cleared one of our coworker’s driveway so she could get her car out. I used the trusty old rancher to move chunks we cut up. 

2C036082-186D-4A95-98C2-3A490AD7715C.jpeg

• Like 10

Took the family out! Nicest weather, perfect riding conditions..

2013 can am Renegade (wifes)

2008 Trx700xx (mine)

2007 raptor 700r (sons)

2003 Kawi Prairie (daughters)

20200426_111841.jpg

20200426_124640.jpg

20200426_124642.jpg

• Like 5

Howdy ATV Honda Brothers and Sisters,

We took the old Foreman 400s up the mountain to look for firewood...There's plenty of it, fallen Pinions everywhere from heavy snows and winds this winter. Having a great time on the trusty utility quads, Mrs. Bounty Hunter's red 1996 Foreman (named "Chief") and my green 1997 (named "Tank") climbed rocky, eroded trails like mountain goats. The cases on the rear racks are Harbor Freight Apache boxes, filled with recovery gear and survival kits. Both rigs have Warn winches, Chief sports the tennis ball hook stopper. The Bear Claw tires are new...luv them! in dirt, loose rock, gravel and sand they are awesome!

The views were spectacular, from 7000 feet. Great day for a ride!

Have a Blessed and Peaceful day, and ride safe!

Bounty Hunter

Quad Pic 42520.jpg

• Like 6

wow...ya'll got some nice machines!!

my honda came out of the garage for the first time in 2 weeks...been down with the shingles...go figure...zombie pockyclypse at hand, and I get the shingles...jeesh..anyway...several of the boys came over saturday for some gun range fun...this is one of my son-in-laws...he loves my old blue 300..so despite other machines on hand, including a big ol golf cart, he always grabs the keys to Blue and then strapped his cases to it as the excuse to run out back to our shoot location...always good to see the bike get run and loved by the next generation anyway...so I just smile when he comes over cause i know he's gonna be grabbin that particular key.

blue.jpeg

• Like 3

Got the daughter's 350 buttoned up this weekend.  Rode fine going up and down the street, but I'm going to need to do a little more of a shake down run with it before I let her take it out without me (she'll have to have her sister along if she goes out at all, neither of them will ride alone).

Also got my sister's old 70's Honda ES3500 generator going with a ton of help from @retro.  Mice got in the control box and built a nest, peed all over everything, which corroded everything to the point where the whole thing needed to be rewired.  Retro did the rewire, sent it back to me, and I got it wired up and running.  This is a HEAVY generator, especially given it's only a 3500.  Specs here say it's 185lbs.  https://www.wersis.net/honda/generators-e3500.html

Anyhow, got it back together and working.  Powered up our patio bug zapper just fine while I ran it dry to put it back up until it's needed. 

I did get a short ride yesterday morning on the other daughter's 300.  There's been someone hunting on the farm less than a quarter mile from the house.  I've had a couple of friends tell me in the last week, so yesterday one called and said the truck was back.  I gave the baby to one of the teenagers, hopped on the 300, and rode out there.  Guy was sitting in his truck, wasn't happy that I ran him off.  I took pics of his tags and told him if he came back I was calling the sheriff. 

When I was younger we used to let people hunt out there.  There are about a dozen family members who own interest in the family farm, so what ended up happening was a ton of people hunting with permission from different family members.  That in and of itself wasn't an issue, but then all of those people started trying to say that a certain area was "their area" and hounding the family to make other people to stop hunting "their" area.  We ended up having constant ! from people who wanted it all to themselves, so the resolution was "Nobody hunts out there unless they're with a family member". 

Still have people show up like this guy, who said my great uncle told him he could hunt.  The thing is, my uncle was asked 3 different times last week (when the truck started showing up out there) if he had told someone they could hunt, and he said no. 

• Like 1

The 300 did great.  Fun little rig with the 424, 420 discs up front, and of course, the @shadetree engine build.  I do think it needs an 18% gear reduction.  I'm running 26" Mudlite XL's on Rubicon wheels (skinny front, wide rears) and I had to downshift a little more than I thought I should to get through some low spots. 

• Like 1

glad you got it sorted out, both the 300 , and the tresspasser...amazing how folks get all indignant about property that isn't even theirs!

I'm like, "dude...you wanna hunt..go buy your own land"  friggen freeloaders!!

I was out talking to my neighbor last week, we met up on the street for a quick hello..

i had been out cruising on my lil CT90 and he was just coming out of his horse pasture, so we stopped to chat...the new neighbor from the other side of my place that we call the "micro subdivision"  where some contractor scrambled 5 acres and shoved 4 houses side by side into it...anyway..we were all ! cause the rest of our road is wide open homes and lands...anyway, we're friendly all the same, so I waved him down and he stopped to chat too...along the way, the conversation turned to the honda and he mentioned that he had a 4 wheeler, he just didn't have anywhere to ride it  (I wiped a single tear at this point)...LOL   neither I , nor my long time neighbor offered up our property...sure, there may come a day when we have a back yard party again and I will invite him and his son to take a ride WITH me out back, but to just say..hey..go ride out on my place... I know how that will end up..so it's just easier to have the few seconds of quiet after his comment now, than to have to have a harder conversation after he, his son, his son's friends, his other buds, all wind up thinking it's ok to come to my "ATV park"  anytime they want.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Well crap.  That's a long haul to Arkansas.

Arkansas!!  long haul from "anywhere"  grin...actually..my wife is a biig rock hound..so we've hauled the camper out that way a couple times to Ron Colemans and other tourist pits...it's a 2 day run each way for us...we makes stops along the way at other places in other states with her club, but, yeah....fun run

• Like 1

Just got home from the hunting shack. Shot guns, BBQed, took saunas. Took 20 mile wheeler ride first day and 53 miles the next day. Great weather, 30's - 60 degrees, no bugs, lots of wildlife although the ticks are heavy already.

IMG_20200509_201446107.jpg

• Like 5

Been tinkering a little the last couple of mornings.

Yesterday I tore the rear brake panel down on my kid's 350 Rancher.  The new EBC pads I put on had the friction material come off of the lower shoe which was dragging and binding up the rear end.  Very disappointed in those EBC shoes.  Won't be buying them again.  Have some OEM rear pads on the way.

Today I had a completely fubar'd rear brake panel from a 500.  Seized cam pin, seized shoes, clogged vent, bad bearings.  I hate working on these things when they're seized up.  If you aren't careful with them, they disintegrate since they're just cast aluminum, and it's hard to get all that stuff apart when it's been seized up for years without getting rough with things.

Anyhow, got the cam pin pressed out and wire wheeled,lightly greased and reinstalled with a new seal and dust felt, shoes off, pins cleaned and lightly greased, holes in shoes polished out, resinstalled, new bearings put in, and drilled out the vent. 

Tedious process for something that won't last/ work for long, but since this will go on a bike I'm selling I wanted it to work well.  I guess if someone used it for pasture/farm use and stayed out of the water with it the rear brake will stay functional.

• Like 1

We've gotten quite a bit of riding in the last few days. I got my Ricochet skids installed on my 700xx and so I've finally got to really open it up. With all the rocks in the area I was nursing it through or just avoiding heavily rocky stuff all together to avoid any frame damage. My son also got skids for his raptor and we went out and had some fun!

excuse the clarity, cameras were dirty and I took screenshots from the video...

Screenshot (13).png

and when you see the cattle guards its really hard to not want to jump them..

Screenshot (51).png

Screenshot (53).png

• Like 1

These are a little less... fish-eyed

no gopro shots here

It was after this picture that my son realized why I like my 700xx so much...

20200517_164839.jpg

Clearance baby! I zipped right through those ruts and he.. well let's just say he got to really test out those new skid plates

20200517_162733.jpg

20200517_155059.jpg

20200517_155106.jpg

• Like 1

And for the record I hate mud. I go around puddles as much as possible.. give me dry dusty trails!

My son on the other hand.. well he thinks his raptor is a mudding machine

20200517_152147.jpg

Wasn't all soggy though 

20200517_153130.jpg

He had a good time. 19 yrs old in July and off to college this fall.. where did the time go

20200517_152118.jpg

• Like 4

I hate mud too cuz I like a clean 4 wheeler and mud is hard to clean off and get out of all the nooks and crannies. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 9:20 AM, jeepwm69 said:

The 300 did great.  Fun little rig with the 424, 420 discs up front, and of course, the @shadetree engine build.  I do think it needs an 18% gear reduction.  I'm running 26" Mudlite XL's on Rubicon wheels (skinny front, wide rears) and I had to downshift a little more than I thought I should to get through some low spots. 

forget the gear reduction.. u should toss a bbk in there & no more down shifting! Haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

I hate mud too cuz I like a clean 4 wheeler and mud is hard to clean off and get out of all the nooks and crannies. 

little trick a friend of mine told me was has always sprayed the underside of his quad with wd-40  before mudding....however , ive never tried this myself...my  plasti-dipped rims would be ruined!!

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

little trick a friend of mine told me was has always sprayed the underside of his quad with wd-40  before mudding....however , ive never tried this myself...my  plasti-dipped rims would be ruined!!

I started using a product last summer called “Mud Slinger” made by Amsoil. Brings the dull plastic surfaces back to a brilliant shine and makes clean up a lot easier. It can be used on metal surfaces also. I still prefer to go around the mud if I can so I don’t have to wash the wheeler, getting lazy in my old age I guess 🤪🤣. Well that and there is always other chores that need doing. 

Edited by 01RUBY500
  • Like 2

I made new lids for my custom boxes today. This time I put 1" aluminum angle around all the edges to keep them from getting tore up. Gotta mount my gear grips on the front yet.

IMG_20200525_172918283.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 01RUBY500 said:

I started using a product last summer called “Mud Slinger” made by Amsoil. Brings the dull plastic surfaces back to a brilliant shine and makes clean up a lot easier. It can be used on metal surfaces also. I still prefer to go around the mud if I can so I don’t have to wash the wheeler, getting lazy in my old age I guess 🤪🤣. Well that and there is always other chores that need doing. 

thanks! I've never heard of it, right off hand.... but I'll sure do some research ... I'm all in for keeping machines clean!! I've always been OCD about that.. lol! i hear you on the more forks on the plate ;)

I actually took my Rancher out today,went across the road looking for elderberrys . Good time to look for them,they are in bloom right now,thought I might make some Brandy this year.It now has 144 miles lol ,not bad for 2013. When I got back home,washed it and put it away.

• Like 1

Just removed the spark arrestor, (have to tweak fuel screw now) gonna finish installing the tie rods, replace one wheel bearing, then pull carb & clean needle valve as fuel was overflowing, & finally pull the valve cover for a second time, clean & reseal.. fingers crossed it doesn’t leak again. IF it does, I’m just tossing some black rtv around where it’s leaking & calling er good. I need to do more riding & less wrenching!

• Like 2