dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

Got the carb cleaned & fixed. Nothing overflowing now. Wheel bearing replaced, tie rods all installed & eyeballed up. I’ll tweak when I get to the bush. Fuel screw tweaked. Last thing to fix is valve cover leak...

• Like 2

Found why the valve cover leaked twice I think... not much left on the edge... I’ll apply lots of Honda Bond this time round....

02C9E4D7-0924-4DD7-8264-59828080F47C.jpeg

• Like 2

Just out for a rip, are ya bud? Met an older gentleman out on the trails with a 2006 Raptor 700 with 47,000km on it. Said engine was never touched. Very impressive!

20200705_162118.jpg

20200705_151907.jpg

20200705_151925.jpg

• Like 8

On 7/3/2020 at 1:34 AM, Wheeler said:

Found why the valve cover leaked twice I think... not much left on the edge... I’ll apply lots of Honda Bond this time round....

02C9E4D7-0924-4DD7-8264-59828080F47C.jpeg

thing is..YOU DO NOT NEED TO GLOB YAMABOND ON THAT ROCKER BOX AREA !. a good even, light coat is all it takes. if its leaking after this ?, then you have other issues going on !.

What about some of that red " atv " silicone  ?  LOL 

• Haha 2

Still chipping away at this 08 Foreman I picked up a while back.  I got my load of cylinders back from the machine shop, so this morning I put the top end on the rebuilt bottom end I had in the shop and got it installed in the frame.

On this one I had to tear the whole thing down.  Rear end was seized up, rear brakes seized, front CV was missing on one side and bad on the other.  I tore it down to the bare frame, treated all the surface rust with Phosphoric Acid, painted with gloss black implement paint, and now I'm putting it back together a little at a time. 

Here's the "like I bought it pic".  It's the tan one with no wheels and tires.

New/used wiring harness and start/headlight switch because I'm converting it from an ES to a footshift.  Had to replace the meter with a good used unit.  Rear diff has been gone through, new rear brake cables, cam, seals, and shoes going on.  New/used master cylinder and calipers installed, brakes bled.  Engine has been rebuilt (new crank, timing chain, 09-up first gear, seals, and top end).  Front diff looked ok and I replaced the CV's with good used OEM axles.   Put some different upper a-arms with good bushings and ball joints on.  Next up is valve adjustment, install exhaust and carb, and then I'll be able to make sure it runs ok.

08 PS.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, shadetree said:

thing is..YOU DO NOT NEED TO GLOB YAMABOND ON THAT ROCKER BOX AREA !. a good even, light coat is all it takes. if its leaking after this ?, then you have other issues going on !.

not sure what to tell ya Shade.. I didn’t go CRAZY on Honda Bond, & I think it’s like 95% good. I ran it for 2.5hrs total in trails & roads. It SURELY isn’t leaking like it did, it may have small seep, so for re assurance I’ve just tossed some black rtv around for security... I dunno....fingers crossed...

I hooked on to my neighbors wood splitter and went at the pile for a few hrs.....

It ended up being too warm for my 2 new helpers, so they hid unger the quad in the shade...

IMG_20200718_152349_974.jpg

• Like 3

Sitting at 82 here right now and no wind, too hot for me.....lol

🥵🥵🥵🥵

• Like 1

91  along with yep (no wind) down this way.... it's just hot all over... lol, anyways ... i didn't mean to derail the thread, but when you mentioned temps, i just had to know ... back.... those are some nice looking pups you have . what breed are they ? 

They are both purebred German shepherd pups, mine is the female in the back, she is 7 weeks and the Male in front is 9 weeks old and the stepson owns him....

I just washed mine up and drove around the block, tightened up my trail tech mount

20200718_192740.jpg

20200718_192818.jpg

20200718_193021.jpg

• Like 3

Just got home from four days at the hunting shack. Hotter than Hades but this time brought a window air conditioner and ran it off my generator. Kept shack at a cool 68 degrees. Put 120 miles on the wheelers in two days.

IMG_20200719_152519295.jpg

IMG_20200717_234447878.jpg

• Like 5

Today I fixed my 424 cable. It broke while out camping. Being stuck in 4wd with a Torq locker sucks. So I went to a local shop & they gave me a scrap to them cable(s) & I modified it to work in the factory housing. Next time, I may have to splice in cable further down. Worked like a charm.. 

D93A5D12-D53B-49ED-AA0F-07E701D981B2.jpeg

3CEBB13D-D82F-498B-A524-4EC86018EDDB.jpeg

D52F76D7-703E-455B-ACAB-38CD98374F39.jpeg

769F6875-AFD7-4A3F-9D5F-41BBED6420F3.jpeg

7F4AB780-CA69-4A63-95DF-7C6D1A0AAA1F.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

i wanted to ask how that torq locker was working... but i gather from your post it's working just fine... lol 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i wanted to ask how that torq locker was working... but i gather from your post it's working just fine... lol 

I’m very happy with it. While out camping for the 7 days I was out it was great. I climbed some very long steep trails in the mountains & it helped immensely. I did come to some serious swamp/bogs  which I chose NOT to attempt as I was by myself a fair ways from camp. If I had a buddy it would have been a blast. But yes I am happy with it. I’m by no means a mud demon like  like I used to be, but want my machine capable to cross what ever I may “need” too when called upon... I just trail ride/hunt/ & explore. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Great day!

First time deer hunting so I’m getting all my gear together. Today i made a run at scouting—it’s hot yet but i needed to start and today was the day!

also I’ve never taken my restored TRX300 out on trail. So i rode about 14 miles on it —stopping every couple miles or so to get off the marked trails and glass the woods.

i love this thing! Just purred the whole time—started right up everytime! Just creeped along. The rear brake started making noise towards the end of the day—squawk!—when i pressed pedal. Going to back off the adjustment 1 turn each.

The fan kicked on a couple times —riding into the wind seemed to stay cool enough. I’m very glad it works. I found a NOS FCU which is crazy hard to get—but i found the FCU from 96-00 Foreman will also work!!

194D7F9B-71FE-4583-96CF-81D72026BC1E.jpeg

• Like 2

Just scouting. First time hunting so want to get to know the field. Deer patterns still wacky with this heat.

• Like 2

Worked on the old tank today and got it running, it had been sitting since last fall and the last time I started it, the old girl didn't want to run. So I took my spare carb off the parts bike and bought a rebuild kit for it. Got down to it and replaced one of the lower a-arms on the front, aired up the tires, and the old girl started right up, to my surprise. Good thing cause I still haven't rebuilt the other one...lol

Took her out for a quick ride and it didn't go far without dying, backfired a few times and quit, hooked her up to the rubi and got the wife to tow me down the road, within 5 min she was good to go again,went for about a 30 min ride and came home.

She is going to be ready for winter this year no matter what, going to put the plow mount on this weekend, maybe even the tire chains.....lol

And yes the old tank is a 99 Suzuki king quad 300....

Edited by TBRider
  • Like 3

Well apparently I managed to break the vent line off the front diff, so today I had to pull the one off the parts bike and install it on the tank, what a job and a half that was.

• Like 1

Still chipping away at that 08 Foreman, but got sidetracked on the 05 Rubicon this morning.

If the kids have friends over, I put them on the Rubicon.  It being an automatic, I don't have to worry about them burning up the clutches.  I've noticed that if it sits for long periods of time, the gas disappears.  Probably a slow bowl float leak, but if I turned the gas off at the petcock, it would still be dry after a few weeks, so I pulled an extra tank out, put a new petcock on it, and put it on the Rubicon this morning. 

Dang sending units for these used to be about $29.  They're close to $60 now!

Anyhow, got it on, but ran out of time before I put the plastics back on over it.

• Like 2